Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Another good boozer ruined

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Another good boozer ruined

Postby bungeejumper » July 20th, 2019, 6:10 pm

Just back from the Yorkshire Dales. A small pretty village, a very well-known hiking centre, a few resident sheep farmers still in residence, but not much else. And a pub that's probably much too large for the now-depleted residents, especially out of season when all the air-bnb-ers stay away and the beer goes off because they're not selling enough of it. :| Etcetera.

So yes, the village pub has a structural demographic problem, and yes, it does need addressing. So it's got a new owner, and the new owner has stripped it of every bit of soft furnishing - no carpets, no curtains, no pictures, and no cushions on the expensive new hardwood chairs. No jokey local in-jokes, no quirky stuff around the bar.

Nothing, in fact, but a loud, loud echoing clatter. All the walls have been redone in trendy puke-grey wainscoting, and the bare floors and ceilings and tables bounce every single scrap of noise back at you, so that you can't even hear what the person across the table is saying to you. Yes, I'm old enough to know what social deafness is, but this level of auditory attack is right off the scale. Last Saturday night there were maybe eight people in the pub, and the noise was already intolerable.

Look, people, you've already proved that you can't bring in the yomping yoof, even though you've made your newly-varnished floors fit for hobnailed boots. You've dumped the bloody carpet, which was the only thing that used to absorb the pleasant nattering even when it got too loud for comfort, and you've replaced it with a wall of sound that would have had Phil Spector reaching for the noise-cancelling earphones.

And for what? Well, you've lost me for a start. Bastards.

BJ

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Re: Another good boozer ruined

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » July 20th, 2019, 8:21 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Just back from the Yorkshire Dales. A small pretty village, a very well-known hiking centre, a few resident sheep farmers still in residence, but not much else. And a pub that's probably much too large for the now-depleted residents, especially out of season when all the air-bnb-ers stay away and the beer goes off because they're not selling enough of it. :| Etcetera.

So yes, the village pub has a structural demographic problem, and yes, it does need addressing. So it's got a new owner, and the new owner has stripped it of every bit of soft furnishing - no carpets, no curtains, no pictures, and no cushions on the expensive new hardwood chairs. No jokey local in-jokes, no quirky stuff around the bar.

Nothing, in fact, but a loud, loud echoing clatter. All the walls have been redone in trendy puke-grey wainscoting, and the bare floors and ceilings and tables bounce every single scrap of noise back at you, so that you can't even hear what the person across the table is saying to you. Yes, I'm old enough to know what social deafness is, but this level of auditory attack is right off the scale. Last Saturday night there were maybe eight people in the pub, and the noise was already intolerable.

Look, people, you've already proved that you can't bring in the yomping yoof, even though you've made your newly-varnished floors fit for hobnailed boots. You've dumped the bloody carpet, which was the only thing that used to absorb the pleasant nattering even when it got too loud for comfort, and you've replaced it with a wall of sound that would have had Phil Spector reaching for the noise-cancelling earphones.

BJ

Should have gone to Nellies
Nellies pub is something for the eye to witness. Until recently it was genuinely lit by gas mantles. I think they were replaced a few years ago. The fires still burn on cold winters nights and the last time it was refurbished was probably pre-war. And that could have been the Crimean . The beer is cheap - very cheap. They don't allow you to use phones (god help you if you even look at your phone for the time) and above all there's no swearing.

It has been described as more of a working museum.

The link shows 86 photo's but they still don't do it justice. The smells, the atmosphere, the quirky layout and the decor.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractio ... gland.html

AiY

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » July 20th, 2019, 8:24 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
The link shows 86 photo's but they still don't do it justice. The smells, the atmosphere, the quirky layout and the decor...

Working link - https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractio ... gland.html

I wonder what look they give you if you ask for some change for the juke box....

(Top rant btw BJ....)

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » July 21st, 2019, 9:12 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Nothing, in fact, but a loud, loud echoing clatter.
BJ

Its an increasing problem - not just with pubs, but restaurants and cafes too. I suppose all of the hard surfaces are easy to keep clean, but the effect on acoustics is disastrous. We were recently in a newly opened restaurant where we were placed at a table which seemed to be in the focal point of all of the sound reflections. It was horrendous. No doubt they pay fancy sums to interior designers for the look - but these designers don't appear to have any concern about the sound cacophony produced when their design is populated.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 21st, 2019, 11:09 pm

scotia wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:Nothing, in fact, but a loud, loud echoing clatter.
BJ

Its an increasing problem - not just with pubs, but restaurants and cafes too.

Indeedie, I've encountered that, and now you mention it it does seem to have got worse in recent times. Sit in the wrong place and it's quite horrendous, even if the level of noise from other diners is entirely civilised where they're sitting ...

One more thing to look out for when selecting an establishment to grace with one's custom, whether for a coffee, a beer, or a meal.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » July 22nd, 2019, 9:38 pm

It possibly he;ps to go deaf oi one ear (like I am now now).

I cant hear anything specific now in anywhjere with any level of background noise whatsoever so in the aformentioned I wouldn't notice any difference :-)

didds

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Postby yorkshirelad1 » July 24th, 2019, 9:55 am

bungeejumper wrote:Just back from the Yorkshire Dales. A small pretty village, a very well-known hiking centre, a few resident sheep farmers still in residence, but not much else. And a pub that's probably much too large for the now-depleted residents, especially out of season when all the air-bnb-ers stay away and the beer goes off because they're not selling enough of it. :| Etcetera.

BJ

Wouldn't be the V at KM would it?
Or maybe there's another pub that has suffered the same fate as the V at KM....

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 24th, 2019, 11:35 am

yorkshirelad1 wrote:Wouldn't be the V at KM would it?
Or maybe there's another pub that has suffered the same fate as the V at KM....

Nope, the Buck at Buckden. https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserR ... gland.html . It seems clear from the reviews (and from comments from the locals) that they'd already tried a gourmet menu, snails and all, but they'd found that that didn't bring in the backpackers either. I can't imagine why? ;)

Then they'd reverted to basic pub grub (@ £15-18 a plate, and no steaks), and they seemed to be finding that that wasn't working either. The chips were nice, though, and the Wensleydale Pale Ale was okay, as long as you didn't mind your pale ale tasting like lager.

Wrong forum, I know, but Wensleydale's best seller is something called Semer Water. I don't know about you, but I wasn't too tempted. :lol:

BJ

Return to “Bitter Lemons”