Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Tired?

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
didds
Lemon Half

Tired?

Postby didds » October 23rd, 2019, 9:01 am

This is merely venting.

C is well known to me. C is physically able.

Cannot sleep, which has knock on issues with C's mental health.

C saw a mental health doctor yesterday. In trying to address C's lack of ability to sleep Dr. asked C is C would like/consider sleeping pills to help C sleep.

WHY NOT SUGGEST C GOES FOR A BLOODY 3 MILE WALK EVERY DAY [1] AND ACTUALLY GET TIRED?

didds

[1] Other physical activities are available.

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Tired?

Postby swill453 » October 23rd, 2019, 9:27 am

Presumably C is already physically tired (through lack of sleep if nothing else) so there isn't necessarily an indication that being more so would help.

Or, given the board you posted on, weren't you looking for an answer?

Scott.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 23rd, 2019, 10:33 am

A three-mile walk every day doesn't help me sleep. :(

Bah, humbug.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 23rd, 2019, 11:11 am

didds wrote:C saw a mental health doctor yesterday. In trying to address C's lack of ability to sleep Dr. asked C is C would like/consider sleeping pills to help C sleep.

Doesn't sound like much of a mental health doctor to me. My missus (psychotherapist) has spent her career working with this kind of issue, and the first starting point is generally to assume that it's the underlying mental health/worry issue that's causing the sleeplessness, not vice versa. Prescribing sleeping pills sounds like papering over the cracks.

Having said that, there are plenty of medical (physiological) conditions that really can keep you awake, and a long-term loss of sleep from those causes might eventually drive you to depression. I suppose it's just possible that this particular shrink was trying to eliminate that possibility before embarking on a proper mental health assessment? But doping the patient is a short-term strategy at best. Harrumph.

It is, of course, possible that the doctor has decided this person is what the profession calls a "heartsink patient" - meaning that the doc's heart sinks every bloody time they walk into his consulting room - and he's just fobbing them off. Don't think it doesn't happen. :)

BJ

djbenedict
2 Lemon pips

Postby djbenedict » October 23rd, 2019, 11:23 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:A three-mile walk every day doesn't help me sleep. :(

Have you tried walking further?

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » October 23rd, 2019, 11:47 am

Down the pub and back. That helps me sleep. Trouble is, getting up the next morning...

paulnumbers
Lemon Slice

Postby paulnumbers » October 23rd, 2019, 11:54 am

bungeejumper wrote:
didds wrote:C saw a mental health doctor yesterday. In trying to address C's lack of ability to sleep Dr. asked C is C would like/consider sleeping pills to help C sleep.

Doesn't sound like much of a mental health doctor to me. My missus (psychotherapist) has spent her career working with this kind of issue, and the first starting point is generally to assume that it's the underlying mental health/worry issue that's causing the sleeplessness, not vice versa. Prescribing sleeping pills sounds like papering over the cracks.

Having said that, there are plenty of medical (physiological) conditions that really can keep you awake, and a long-term loss of sleep from those causes might eventually drive you to depression. I suppose it's just possible that this particular shrink was trying to eliminate that possibility before embarking on a proper mental health assessment? But doping the patient is a short-term strategy at best. Harrumph.

It is, of course, possible that the doctor has decided this person is what the profession calls a "heartsink patient" - meaning that the doc's heart sinks every bloody time they walk into his consulting room - and he's just fobbing them off. Don't think it doesn't happen. :)

BJ

I don't think many people doubt it at all. It's well known by anyone who has had mental health issues that your average GP at the very least lacks the emotional intelligence to deal with mental health issues.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 23rd, 2019, 12:02 pm

djbenedict wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:A three-mile walk every day doesn't help me sleep. :(

Have you tried walking further?

Oh, frequently.

bungeejumper wrote:Doesn't sound like much of a mental health doctor to me.

Might not Didds' original post have omitted some detail from the account of the shrink session, perhaps for brevity or his own lack of omniscience?

Bear in mind what board we're on.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 23rd, 2019, 12:13 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:Doesn't sound like much of a mental health doctor to me.

Might not Didds' original post have omitted some detail from the account of the shrink session, perhaps for brevity or his own lack of omniscience?

LOL, I should bloody well hope he did. If that had been a full transcript we'd have been in Python territory.

BJ

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » October 23rd, 2019, 12:59 pm

swill453 wrote:Presumably C is already physically tired (through lack of sleep if nothing else) so there isn't necessarily an indication that being more so would help.

Or, given the board you posted on, weren't you looking for an answer?

Scott.

Not an answer sought, I just wanted to vent! :-)

Its not for me to influence another adult and a professional's interaction and decsiions. It just made me feel GRRRR.

Thanks all for allowing me to vent in an environment where nobody knows who I C is and would be obvious in :-)

LOL

didds

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » October 23rd, 2019, 1:00 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Might not Didds' original post have omitted some detail

In this case no. That was the very crux of it all.

didds

Return to “Bitter Lemons”