Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

An alternative view

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

An alternative view

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » March 21st, 2020, 3:57 pm

We're not hoarding or stockpiling food or anything else for that matter.

And for someone to come off a 48hr shift to find she couldn't buy some groceries does make me feel ashamed and angry. Clearly the lack of sleep was telling and she was, understandably very tired and just wanted to leave the environment she works in for a small breather.

I know the majority of people aren't hoarding or stockpiling. I know the majority of people are doing the right thing at a time when we all need to just find that little bit of additional tolerance and strength.

I'm not going to view my country through the eyes of those selfish people. I'm going to say thank you to all those front line NHS staff who are meeting this challenge with such fortitude.

We're missing a few bits now ... but won't starve to death.

The Great British people are stoic when needed. They are calm and they do meet challenge together. Those values are embedded in our soul, passed down through generations.

I'm cross with a minority. However, that's a negative feeling and I don't want to go there. I want to think of all the hard work those frontline people are doing. Unspoken & unheard.

Thank you

AiYn'U

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: An alternative view

Postby Itsallaguess » March 21st, 2020, 5:04 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
I want to think of all the hard work those frontline people are doing. Unspoken & unheard.

Totally agree AiY..

I made sure when on my 'big shop' this morning, visiting three separate shops to make sure I managed to get everything on my list, that I reminded all the shop-workers that I came into contact with what a great job they are doing, and whilst it's clear that NHS staff will have their own unique issues during this pandemic, the likes of the many shop-workers around the country also deserve medals in my opinion too, for helping to maintain such critical links in our supply chains.

I also want to add, whilst I'm here, that I agree with your earlier 'Be Kind' post as well, but I wanted to also perhaps add that it's clear that some people really struggle with the whole 'be kind' idea, and I thought it might be worth adding a caveat to your 'be kind' request, to say that if that's not possible for whatever reason, then perhaps the much lower-level request of 'just don't be a git then' might be more achievable in those particular circumstances...

Take care and best wishes,

Itsallaguess

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » March 22nd, 2020, 6:57 pm

Our local community website has been inundated with people offering help to those who have to self isolate from doing any shopping, dog walking, taking animals to vets and garden waste to the tip after council announced they are suspending brown bin collection. The library van will no longer be visiting but we have an extensive library of donated books at the community centre and some kind soul has listed each and every one of them, made copies and posted them through the doors of everyone they know is over 70 and doesn't own a computer.
There are many kind hearted people about and we shouldn't judge everyone by the ones the media seem to delight in portraying.

Keep safe everyone

R6
Oops just realised I've posted something nice on Bitter Lemons, never mind will make up for it when this is over :)

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 27th, 2020, 12:54 pm

I'm hearing about a lot of local pubs that have gone over to veg box deliveries now that their main source of business has been closed off. And this morning we took delivery of our first. :)

The pub's chef, having been laid off (or furloughed, or whatever) has turned his daily trip to the Bristol wholesale market into a community buying opportunity, and what a hero. Our cupboards and freezer are already quite well stocked with "storage foods", but the fruit and veg has been a bit of an issue because I'm not encouraged to go out and do my own shopping at the moment (due to a pre-existing health issue) - and getting an online delivery slot is completely impossible at present. Even the pricey farm shops have stopped taking orders now.

It was starting to look a bit uncertain, actually. Not desperate, just a little unsettling, if you know what I mean? So here's to you, Matt. Proper hero. And you're doing all that for twenty quid a (large) box? You say you're not allowed to make a profit? I'll have to think of some ways to make it up to you. It's people like you who make the world go round.

BJ

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 27th, 2020, 1:09 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:Our local community website has been inundated with people offering help to those who have to self isolate from doing any shopping, dog walking, taking animals to vets and garden waste to the tip after council announced they are suspending brown bin collection. The library van will no longer be visiting but we have an extensive library of donated books at the community centre and some kind soul has listed each and every one of them, made copies and posted them through the doors of everyone they know is over 70 and doesn't own a computer.
There are many kind hearted people about and we shouldn't judge everyone by the ones the media seem to delight in portraying.

Keep safe everyone

R6
Oops just realised I've posted something nice on Bitter Lemons, never mind will make up for it when this is over :)

Here is something for Bitter Lemons then. Are you sure that encouraging circulation of secondhand books is really such a good idea at the moment?

Fortunately I have a largish stock of mostly new paperbacks to read at the moment and I gather that Amazon is still working.

Dod

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » March 27th, 2020, 7:46 pm

As I explained Dod not everyone has a computer so they cannot order from Amazon. My friend puts the books she's borrowed into the microwave and give them a blast on high, not sure if it kills the germs but at 82 she's willing to take the chance, she's on her own and not a great devotee of daytime TV and books are her preferred form of entertainment.

R6

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 28th, 2020, 9:32 am

Rhyd6 wrote:My friend puts the books she's borrowed into the microwave and give them a blast on high, not sure if it kills the germs but at 82 she's willing to take the chance.

I believe the experts are split on this theory. What they're not divided on is that paper can catch fire if you microwave it for too long (>15 seconds).

Unfortunately, the risk also applies to money. :D https://www.ibtimes.sg/koreans-microwav ... t-it-40870. South Korean notes are polymerised, like ours. They tell me that a five pound note shrinks to half its size.

BJ

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 28th, 2020, 10:44 am

bungeejumper wrote:They tell me that a five pound note shrinks to half its size.

BJ

Heh. That appears to have become the job of the Chancellor and BoE these days.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » March 28th, 2020, 6:25 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
Rhyd6 wrote:My friend puts the books she's borrowed into the microwave and give them a blast on high, not sure if it kills the germs but at 82 she's willing to take the chance.

I believe the experts are split on this theory. What they're not divided on is that paper can catch fire if you microwave it for too long (>15 seconds).

Unfortunately, the risk also applies to money. :D https://www.ibtimes.sg/koreans-microwav ... t-it-40870. South Korean notes are polymerised, like ours. They tell me that a five pound note shrinks to half its size.

BJ

If it's exactly the same five pound note, but merely smaller, would it still be legal tender?

I'd love to film this happening in a busy Tesco! :lol:

Steve

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » March 28th, 2020, 6:35 pm

stevensfo wrote:
If it's exactly the same five pound note, but merely smaller, would it still be legal tender?

I'd love to film this happening in a busy Tesco!

"These are small, but they are far away....."

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Return to “Bitter Lemons”