Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Birthday

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Birthday

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » May 30th, 2020, 7:33 pm

Many years ago when I could manage to scrape into that generalisation of "young man" I was cautioned by my Mum to always buy personal gifts for my beloved good lady at Christmas and birthdays. Buying washing machines and hoovers for birthday presents wasn't cool.

At my recent birthday I was really pleased that my good lady and daughter gave me a barbeque. I was made over.

Today the 5 year old Samsung washing machine passed away. Does anyone know a good laundry in my area as I am going to have to wait 51 weeks for my new washing machine to arrive :roll:

AiY"t"n'U

PrincessB
Lemon Slice

Re: Birthday

Postby PrincessB » May 30th, 2020, 7:54 pm

We've long since gone past the point of buying presents that are that significant and it's turned into a bit of a game to see what can be gotten away with.

I've managed to give a collander on Valentine' Day (Admittedly, all of the holes are heart shaped) but still a collander.

Also on the list is the Masterchef apron or the ice bucket (used as a flower vase).

On the more practical side, I was bought an armchair for one aniversary.

We had a significant aniversary a few days ago which for various reasons went uncelebrated. My car also needed an MOT this week and while it passed, all four tyres were running very close to the limit of wear.

I declined the offer of a set of new tyres as an aniversary present.

B.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 30th, 2020, 9:44 pm

You're a yorkshireman. A muddy puddle to wash in should be Luxury!

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 31st, 2020, 9:55 am

PrincessB wrote:We've long since gone past the point of buying presents that are that significant and it's turned into a bit of a game to see what can be gotten away with.

........On the more practical side, I was bought an armchair for one aniversary.

Frying pans and kitchen gadgets can sometimes become lethal weapons when they're proffered as gifts, but not in our household. After forty years, we tend to see the romance in sharing stuff that other people might regard as functional, and I'd say that's a pretty good sign on the whole. I want a new barbecue for my next birthday - it's just a pity that my birthday's in January. :(

Past surprise presents have included wheelbarrows, a greenhouse, and on one occasion a shiatsu massage chair. Our "electric chair" is really great for aching backs after a hard day in the garden - maybe not such a romantic gift, but hey, there's a lot to be said for having a flexible spine. ;)

BJ

Return to “Bitter Lemons”