Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Organisational Virtue-Signalling

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
Alaric
Lemon Half

Re: Organisational Virtue-Signalling

Postby Alaric » June 11th, 2020, 7:24 am

SalvorHardin wrote: and their next stop is burning books

Is removing TV Shows and Films from streaming services the modern equivalent? But that started years ago with shows the BBC never repeat.

anon155742
Lemon Slice

Postby anon155742 » June 11th, 2020, 10:44 am

Alaric wrote:

Is removing TV Shows and Films from streaming services the modern equivalent? But that started years ago with shows the BBC never repeat.

It certainly is. There is a new bill in the Scottish parliament called the Hate Crime and Public Order bill that would make possession of offensive material a crime. So if you had these older shows on tape or DVD then you are committing a crime. Maybe its best to burn them to be safe?

https://beta.parliament.scot/bills/hate ... tland-bill

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » June 11th, 2020, 10:51 am

SalvorHardin wrote:
neversay wrote:EDIT: I've just read about the white Oxford-educated museum curator in Hertfordshire who has been posting social media messages on what household chemicals can be thrown at statues to destroy them. I rest my case.

She's had quite a bit of blowback. Visited by the police earlier today, can't see her employer being pleased about that, and has now locked her Twitter account. She's now got a lot of people watching her for when she next screws up.

The tactics that these people have been using are now being used on them, in particular going after their livelihood and publicising their activities. It's effective and they don't like it.

Thankfully the lockdown is playing havoc with university finances. There will soon be a load of unemployed grievance studies lecturers and other low-rate academic wasters, plus bankrupt universities, which will destroy much of the social justice warrior production line.

People are also going after hypocritical woke celebrities' sponsors. Lewis Hamilton's fans are now increasingly aware that his employer (Mercedes) employed slave labour during the Second World War. Also one of his sponsors (Hugo Boss) made uniforms for the SS also using slave labour.

Kind of taints their products. There is such a thing as bad publicity!

Guido Fawkes has found a few things about The Guardian. It was founded out of slavery profits, it supported the Confederates during the American Civil War, approved of the assassination of Abraham Lincoln, etc.

https://order-order.com/2020/06/10/guardian-must-fall/

You surely can’t be serious in welcoming the “havoc” on our Universities and glorying in people becoming unemployed.

Have your views become corrupted by reading the tabloids? “Social justice warriors” are just a tiny minority of students and academics.

Criticism of universities because of the behaviour of a minority of their free thinkers is a bit like criticising all investors for being grasping and corrupt because of the behaviour of a few. And singling out the most successful investors as the most venal and unpleasant (particularly if they are successful in achieving returns over 15% per annum ;) )

The comments by a privileged museum curator do not represent the views of the majority of UK university staff. She appears to be a wealthy American married to a wealthy American banker, educated in the USA (and who incidentally has a post graduate degree from Oxford). So not a representative of a University.

I guess you wouldn’t welcome havoc being wrought on all museums, nor on all bankers and wealthy investors because of some silly tweets by a (probably) spoilt rich individual.

Yes, it is good to criticise those who advocate unpleasant actions, but not to glory in the misfortunes of people who work in the University sector which, on the whole, has benefited the UK, and the USA hugely.

regards

Howard

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 11th, 2020, 11:11 am

anon155742 wrote:
Alaric wrote:

It certainly is. There is a new bill in the Scottish parliament called the Hate Crime and Public Order bill that would make possession of offensive material a crime. So if you had these older shows on tape or DVD then you are committing a crime. Maybe its best to burn them to be safe?

https://beta.parliament.scot/bills/hate ... tland-bill

Brilliant. You'll definitely need one of these.

Howard wrote:Have your views become corrupted by reading the tabloids? “Social justice warriors” are just a tiny minority of students and academics.

Yeah, but this is explicitly a Grumps board.

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » June 11th, 2020, 11:38 am

Howard wrote:You surely can’t be serious in welcoming the “havoc” on our Universities and glorying in people becoming unemployed.

Have your views become corrupted by reading the tabloids? “Social justice warriors” are just a tiny minority of students and academics.

Criticism of universities because of the behaviour of a minority of their free thinkers is a bit like criticising all investors for being grasping and corrupt because of the behaviour of a few. And singling out the most successful investors as the most venal and unpleasant (particularly if they are successful in achieving returns over 15% per annum ;) )

Yes, I am welcoming the havoc that is going to be wreaked upon the University sector, which in this century has become bloated and ridiculously politicised.

I don't need the tabloids, I have plenty of first-hand experience of higher education :D My second career is "professional student" which I started after taking early retirement. My favourite example is the tutor in an American history course who went off on a lengthy rant about foxhunting and "Tory scum" during a seminar about the American constitution (a subject in which it turned out he knew surprisingly little).

Many university academics see their job as first and formost to indoctrinate students into hating Britain, whilst saddling them with a worthless degree and a load of debt. In the meantime the caste of senior administrators have been systematically fleecing the universities with their outrageous pay packages. As to the quality of research, much of it is faked as shown by other researchers being unable to replicate the results of an extremely large number of projects.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replication_crisis

Any other industry which produced so little for so much whilst systematically lying about its products would be facing government action and compensation claims running into the billions. Even The Guardian thinks so:

"In any other area it would be called mis-selling. Given the sheer numbers of those duped, a scandal would erupt and the guilty parties would be forced to make amends. In this case, they’d include some of the most eminent politicians in Britain. But we don’t call it mis-selling. We refer to it instead as “going to uni”."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/sep/20/university-factory-failed-tony-blair-social-mobility-jobs

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » June 11th, 2020, 2:46 pm

Never mind burning book and removing films and TV shows just wait until the natives get restless. I forsee cities like Chester and York and others of that ilk having all their Roman Walls etc. demolished because they too were built by slave labour. Similarly all the castles in Wales should be knocked down because the Welsh were forced to build them by that nasty Edward I.
I despair of what this country is becoming, my grandson's father in law is a mixture of Jamaican and Indian ancestry and he regards himself as British through and through. As he often says Britian gave him a first class education, superb training as a doctor and a fulfilling and satisfying career as a GP. He has no compalints whatsoever. In case anyone thinks he is from a privileged background his parents arrived in this country with the magnificant sum of £5 in their pockets. They worked in the mills in Lancashire and all their children worked hard and all have ended up with excellent careers. Nothing was handed to them on a plate.

R6

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » June 11th, 2020, 2:47 pm

I can't link directly to the video, but watch the attack on the police officer in Hackney and the behaviour of all those involved:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... lfies.html

No one group is representative of a whole, there are idiots everywhere - but two aspects terrify me:

1. The total lack of respect for the Police and the law.

2. The Black Mirror style holding of phones rather than intervening, or even trying to hide their identities.

I'd put these two societal issues slightly higher on the nation's priorities than putting racism warnings on Tom & Jerry cartoons.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 11th, 2020, 5:19 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:Never mind burning book and removing films and TV shows just wait until the natives get restless. I forsee cities like Chester and York and others of that ilk having all their Roman Walls etc. demolished because they too were built by slave labour. Similarly all the castles in Wales should be knocked down because the Welsh were forced to build them by that nasty Edward I.
R6

Unlikely. Like every aspect of history, particularly when politicised, slavery has a very selective memory. If the slaves weren't African or the masters not European[1], nobody cares. Even modern-day slavery gets pretty limited coverage, and historic slavery is all in the past.

When did you last hear about the North African corsairs raiding southwest England for slaves? That may very well have been going on even after the UK fully outlawed slave trading. Nobody cares.

[1] Erm, you know what I mean.

neversay wrote:racism warnings on Tom & Jerry cartoons.

Eh???

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » June 11th, 2020, 5:36 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
neversay wrote:racism warnings on Tom & Jerry cartoons.

Eh???

No, not April Fool's day, I kid you not:

"Tom and Jerry cartoons on television are being accompanied by a warning that they may depict scenes of "racial prejudice".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-29427843

Next warnings of animal cruelty, cat/mouse stereotypes, transgendered canaries?

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » June 11th, 2020, 5:48 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Unlikely. Like every aspect of history, particularly when politicised, slavery has a very selective memory. If the slaves weren't African or the masters not European[1], nobody cares. Even modern-day slavery gets pretty limited coverage, and historic slavery is all in the past.

When did you last hear about the North African corsairs raiding southwest England for slaves? That may very well have been going on even after the UK fully outlawed slave trading. Nobody cares.

Well, it's more a case of "nobody knows", or at least few know.
Possibly this may be the case in the future when all references to those involved in the black slave trade are removed.

As for dates. The UK slave trade act, prohibiting slavery in the British empire is dated 1807. The British and Dutch finally put paid to the Barbary pirates in 1816 freeing 4000 Christian slaves. The US fought them in 1801-1805 leading to the oldest war memorial in the USA, but yes they were still going after we stopped trading slaves.

Return to “Bitter Lemons”