Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Stupid Rules

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Stupid Rules

Postby Rhyd6 » March 9th, 2021, 3:40 pm

I feel as though this lockdown means I'm studying for a degree in moaning but some of the rules re shopping here in Wales don't make sense at all. I needed some pet food and as the nearest place where I can buy it at a reasonable price is Home Bargains in Mold. I decided that whilst I'm there to pick up a tin of paint to brighten up the outside Ty Bach. Am I allowed to buy paint - NO, this section was blocked off along with one or two other sections that our Glorious Leader has decided are not essential. I'm stuck at home, nothing to do, too cold to go in the garden so I want to make use of the time I've got spare to do some general maintenance but "he who must be obeyed" says NO - Twonk of the first order. Mind you one chap was trying to convince the shop manager that a toilet seat was an essential item as his was broken but the answer still came back NO. Don't know about lack of ability to run the proverbial in a brewery, I think the idiots in the Sennedd would have trouble finding said brewery in the first place.
Come May I and a lot of people I know are definitely voting for the "Lets Get Rid of the Assembly Party". It's time these first class troughers were turned into bacon.

R6

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Stupid Rules

Postby Dod101 » March 9th, 2021, 3:51 pm

It will be no consolation but here in Scotland, we have an excellent old style hardware store in my high street and the lady who runs it keeps her front door closed at the moment but advertises her contact telephone number so that we can do a click and collect, paying by card over the phone, including your paint and anything else which she stocks. When I turn up at the door it is like a speakeasy, three knocks and the door opens; an arm extends with my goods and receipt.

Dod

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » March 9th, 2021, 3:57 pm

All they are achieving is to cram the existing shoppers into a smaller space, albeit for a shorter period of time, or not, if said shoppers are then puzzling over the rules and trying to buy stuff anyway, so not sure what the real benefit is. For people at home unable to do a bit of DIY it's crazy, as being able to do stuff at home makes you that little bit less likely to break the rules and go out. In your shoes, being so close to the English border I'd have been tempted to drive a little further, which increases the risk of a road accident, wastes time and money, adds a little bit more damage to the environment and generally achieves the exact opposite of what closing "non-essential" shopping aisles was meant to achieve...

In the long run, if people can't buy stuff like a toilet seat or a tin of paint in the shop, they'll buy it online. We'll then have a political gnashing of teeth as businesses close. Splendid result :roll:

VRD

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » March 9th, 2021, 4:01 pm

Rhyd6 wrote: the nearest place where I can buy it at a reasonable price is Home Bargains in Mold.

In England apart from some initial nonsense from the police over Easter Eggs, it's been the case that if it was legal for a shop to be open, it was legal for it to sell all its normal merchandise. Thus supermarkets like Asda and Sainsbury's that sold clothes could continue to do so as well as Lidl, Aldi and Home Bargains with their non-food offerings. After the first lockdown, Garden Centres were allowed to be open, which gave additional outlets including pet food.

It's all very well having devolved health, but control of emergency epidemic measures should not be in the hands of nationalist local politicians,

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » March 9th, 2021, 7:36 pm

The point is, look at the Big Picture.

To combat the spread and prevalence of coronavirus, the sheer volume of human-to-human interactions needs to be reduced. To reduce the amount of interaction rules need to be in place to ban some of the interactions. Stopping people mixing with each other in shops is one way.

The natural result of this is that at the margins where rules are in play, e.g. allowing people to go in shops to buy pet food but not paint, those rules look ridiculous. They always will wherever you draw the line. So just suck it up and look at the falling prevalence figures and feel pleased these ridiculous rules are having the desired effect. Leaving the outside of your house for another year before painting is is a trivial price to pay for a few thousand fewer lives (or even just one) being lost, in my personal opinion. Although I accept it is not my house windows rotting.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » March 9th, 2021, 7:47 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:I feel as though this lockdown means I'm studying for a degree in moaning but some of the rules re shopping here in Wales don't make sense at all. I needed some pet food and as the nearest place where I can buy it at a reasonable price is Home Bargains in Mold. I decided that whilst I'm there to pick up a tin of paint to brighten up the outside Ty Bach. Am I allowed to buy paint - NO, this section was blocked off along with one or two other sections that our Glorious Leader has decided are not essential. I'm stuck at home, nothing to do, too cold to go in the garden so I want to make use of the time I've got spare to do some general maintenance but "he who must be obeyed" says NO - Twonk of the first order. Mind you one chap was trying to convince the shop manager that a toilet seat was an essential item as his was broken but the answer still came back NO. Don't know about lack of ability to run the proverbial in a brewery, I think the idiots in the Sennedd would have trouble finding said brewery in the first place.
Come May I and a lot of people I know are definitely voting for the "Lets Get Rid of the Assembly Party". It's time these first class troughers were turned into bacon.

R6

Where's Wales :lol: (My bad)

I've amassed a few jigsaws if you'd like them. That's all my Mum has been able to do for the last year. Bless her she feeds two or three pieces to her Yorkshire Terrier and then passes the jigsaw to me to do. Waste not want not.

AiY

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 9th, 2021, 8:30 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:I feel as though this lockdown means I'm studying for a degree in moaning

Bah. Bloomin' dilettantes.

For £9k/year I'll teach you the real thing.

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » March 9th, 2021, 9:37 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Rhyd6 wrote:I feel as though this lockdown means I'm studying for a degree in moaning

Bah. Bloomin' dilettantes.

For £9k/year I'll teach you the real thing.

Funny how it’s priced at just the level of the (full) state pension, isn’t it.

Return to “Bitter Lemons”