Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Investment site?

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
Dod101
The full Lemon

Investment site?

Postby Dod101 » October 28th, 2022, 12:25 pm

On this site, it seems that investment matters are now a minority interest. I think this is because, unlike TMF, there are no articles on investment separate to the actual posts to remind people of what the site is supposed to be about. Bah, humbug.

Dod

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Investment site?

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 28th, 2022, 12:50 pm

Should we call it an autothwack when you repeat yourself like that?

Boots
2 Lemon pips

Postby Boots » October 28th, 2022, 1:38 pm

I have to say that I agree with the original post. I have wondered over the past few weeks, despite the volatile times we are living through, how little directly relevant investment discussion there is.

Even when there is a thread which I felt was useful ( Drop since year end --> https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=35186&hilit=drop ) it ended up getting hijacked.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » October 28th, 2022, 2:12 pm

"The Lemon Fool. Shares,Investment and Personal Finance Discussion Forums".

The site, by having a plethora of boards on "other things" has expanded to become a general discussion board with investment discussions. There has been "mission creep".

Having said that, I can always select to read what interests me and ignore the rest.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » October 28th, 2022, 2:13 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Should we call it an autothwack when you repeat yourself like that?

I think it bears repeating.

Dod

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » October 28th, 2022, 2:16 pm

Boots wrote:I have to say that I agree with the original post. I have wondered over the past few weeks, despite the volatile times we are living through, how little directly relevant investment discussion there is.

Even when there is a thread which I felt was useful ( Drop since year end --> https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=35186&hilit=drop ) it ended up getting hijacked.

I too agree.

Some time back I got fed up with posting items in the hope that it would stimulate discussion. So now I just pop-in, now and again, to see if there is anything of interest.

I have to say the board has moved considerably, over the last year or so, or at least the posts have, towards: politics, current affairs and news items. It's also indicative that many of those posts are initiated by the owners/admin of the site.

So I've stopped beating my head against the proverbial wall and let my feet/fingers do the walking.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » October 28th, 2022, 2:16 pm

monabri wrote:"The Lemon Fool. Shares,Investment and Personal Finance Discussion Forums".

The site, by having a plethora of boards on "other things" has expanded to become a general discussion board with investment discussions. There has been "mission creep".

Having said that, I can always select to read what interests me and ignore the rest.

In some ways it reminds me of a closed discussion board that my late wife used to participate in on Ebay.

Dod

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » October 28th, 2022, 2:18 pm

Dod101 wrote:
On this site, it seems that investment matters are now a minority interest.

It's been clear for quite some time now which way the wind was blowing here Dod, and even since your last thread on the subject linked to earlier, I think the watering down process has become even more pronounced.

I'm certainly spending less time here than I have in the past, and have lost a great deal of motivation in terms of starting or getting involved with investment-based discussions.

There comes a time where it's much simpler to just step away a bit and stop swimming against the tide, unfortunately.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » October 28th, 2022, 2:18 pm

richfool wrote:
Boots wrote:I have to say that I agree with the original post. I have wondered over the past few weeks, despite the volatile times we are living through, how little directly relevant investment discussion there is.

I too agree.

Some time back I got fed up with posting items in the hope that it would stimulate discussion. So now I just pop-in, now and again, to see if there is anything of interest.

I have to say the board has moved considerably, over the last year or so, or at least the posts have, towards: politics, current affairs and news items. It's also indicative that many of those posts are initiated by the owners/admin of the site.

So I've stopped beating my head against the proverbial wall and let my feet/fingers do the walking.

Me too. TLF to me is now a news site

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » October 28th, 2022, 2:25 pm

SalvorHardin wrote:
richfool wrote:

I too agree.

Me too. TLF to me is now a news site

FWIW, for those interested, I now do quite a bit of my IT related reading and research through the Trustnet and AIC sites. Occasionally a glance at the DT Questor column, though that seems to focus more on individual stocks, rather than IT's.

Though as my portfolio is pretty much where I want it to be, less oversight is needed.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » October 28th, 2022, 3:04 pm

I think the New Posts dropdown should be removed.
A self-fuelling distraction magnet.

Then people would just look at the individual boards that interest them.

V8

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » October 28th, 2022, 3:16 pm

88V8 wrote:I think the New Posts dropdown should be removed.

V8

Since that's the only way I use this forum, and I suspect many others too, you're going to lose viewers. Myself and I suspect I am not alone, I couldn't care two hoots what sub forum a post resides in. That's going to be a massive disincentive to bother visiting.

Obviously, there's a variety of opinions on that.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » October 28th, 2022, 3:28 pm

BullDog wrote:
88V8 wrote:I think the New Posts dropdown should be removed.

V8

Since that's the only way I use this forum, and I suspect many others too, you're going to lose viewers. Myself and I suspect I am not alone, I couldn't care two hoots what sub forum a post resides in. That's going to be a massive disincentive to bother visiting.

Obviously, there's a variety of opinions on that.

I click Quick links then Active Topics, is that the same thing?

Dod

sahilsameer

Postby sahilsameer » October 28th, 2022, 3:31 pm

Is Crypto is good investment for now a days?

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 28th, 2022, 3:33 pm

People use the site in different ways. I subscribe to forums then exclusively use my notifications list to see new posts.

I never use Quick Links, New Posts, Active Topics or anything like that.

Scott.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » October 28th, 2022, 3:55 pm

sahilsameer wrote:Is Crypto is good investment for now a days?

Fill your boots

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » October 28th, 2022, 4:26 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
On this site, it seems that investment matters are now a minority interest.

It's been clear for quite some time now which way the wind was blowing here Dod, and even since your last thread on the subject linked to earlier, I think the watering down process has become even more pronounced.

I'm certainly spending less time here than I have in the past, and have lost a great deal of motivation in terms of starting or getting involved with investment-based discussions.

There comes a time where it's much simpler to just step away a bit and stop swimming against the tide, unfortunately.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Is that because you are moving to collective investments and seeing less volatility ( and therefore less need to discuss)?

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » October 28th, 2022, 4:37 pm

Snorvey wrote:
These days I just buy an IT and let it bake for a couple of decades.

Life's too short and all that - which is why I like IAG's monthly IT round up.

Apologies then Snorvey - there's not going to be any further monthly HYP Dividend or IT-sector round-ups.

As you say - life's too short, and whilst I was happy to help contribute to a great investment community where that largely still existed around the earlier ballast from the Motley Fool days, that investment-based ballast simply isn't there any more, and with the direction of travel firmly set for a full-on twitter-fest of non-investment related content, then I'm looking to reduce my foot-print here and spend some time on other activities.

As you quite rightly say - the site banner needs changing now, as it's clearly a case of mis-selling the place...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » October 28th, 2022, 5:10 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
Snorvey wrote:
These days I just buy an IT and let it bake for a couple of decades.

Life's too short and all that - which is why I like IAG's monthly IT round up.

Apologies then Snorvey - there's not going to be any further monthly HYP Dividend or IT-sector round-ups.

As you say - life's too short, and whilst I was happy to help contribute to a great investment community where that largely still existed around the earlier ballast from the Motley Fool days, that investment-based ballast simply isn't there any more, and with the direction of travel firmly set for a full-on twitter-fest of non-investment related content, then I'm looking to reduce my foot-print here and spend some time on other activities.

As you quite rightly say - the site banner needs changing now, as it's clearly a case of mis-selling the place...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

I've been reducing my time round here too as I don't care to argue about politics etc and found your IT and Dividends roundups a good reason to check in. As Snorvey said they are easily crafted for ourselves but it's handy that you did the grunt work for us, so from me, a big thanks for all your efforts.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 28th, 2022, 5:40 pm

I spent 35 years writing about investment and economics, including a fair few years on Fleet Street. And that's why I rarely post here on financial subjects, now that I've hung up my credentials and retired. :)

Busman's holiday, you see? I'd rather discuss the finer points of woodpecker nesting boxes than the minutiae of Fed policy and yadda yadda yadda. I've heard first-hand what many of the big guns and gurus have to say, and I'm not sure they always understand their own words and actions, so I reckon their chances of imparting very much wisdom to the general public are debatable. Still, it makes for good armchair entertainment. Pass the popcorn. :D

BJ

Return to “Bitter Lemons”