Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

NS&I Catch 22

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
scotia
Lemon Quarter

NS&I Catch 22

Postby scotia » December 9th, 2022, 12:46 am

On attempting to log into my National Savings and Investment account, after entering my ID number and password, I was informed that they had now introduced 2-factor authentication, and in order to proceed, they would need to be able to setup my account to recognise my PC. In order to do this, they would send me, on my phone (who's BT landline number was stored in my account), a one-time passcode which I should enter on the PC. So I waited for the code - but it never arrived. I tried this repeatedly - but no code arrived - and I couldn't proceed. But there was a screen prompt which suggested that I could change the telephone number. I wondered if the problem was the landline number - perhaps it required a mobile number. So I ticked the box to change the number, and had to enter my ID number and password again, then I received an automated phone call which told me to login to my account, and change the telephone number there. But of course I still couldn't complete a login - Catch 22.
At this stage I started looking through all of the NS&I help files, and I eventually found
Your phone network could be automatically blocking the call or sending it to a junk voicemail folder. To unblock the call, you may need to add the following numbers to your networks VIP list:
08085 007 007

But what is a VIP List, and how do I enter data into it? So more searching on the BT site - and I found I could carry this out by dialling 1572, and selecting the appropriate menu item - which I did.
Now back to NS&I, and this time I received a phone call with a one time pass code, and on entering it, I moved one step further. I was now required to create and enter a (new) 6-digit PIN, which now joins an ID number, a password, and a list of 6 responses to questions that they might ask. And I assume that they will now have logged this computer as part of the authentication. And presumably I will need to go through all of this if I want to use another device (PC, Mobile Phone or Tablet)?
And a final complaint, why is NS&I using their phone number 08085 007 007,when they appear to know that it is likely to be blocked by the phone network? I have received automated calls with passcodes from several other sources - and none have been blocked.
:evil:

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: NS&I Catch 22

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 9th, 2022, 9:03 am

Nice little anecdote, and well done for navigating your way through it. :twisted:

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Postby yorkshirelad1 » December 9th, 2022, 10:03 am

NS&I's 2FA recently introduced can be a pain. I also hit the limit of number of trusted devices (https://lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=35896&p=533257#p529189), which they have recently increased. But once you've tamed the beast, it seems to be relatively benign.

I have watched my (30-something) nephew go through the registering with NS&I for Premium Bonds and online login and 2FA and setting up bank accounts, and he seemed to navigate it OK and take it all in his stride and regard most of the stuff as run of the mill. I'm not saying it's to everyone's taste, or defending NS&I's sometimes zealous/clunky security, but it was interesting watch someone with a bit of common sense with average tech skills going through the process (Personally, having a background in IT, and having been dealing with NS&I for 30+ years, I despair of them!)

It's a strange one about NS&I's number being blocked on some networks, and a useful tip. I have the opposite where, when NS&I try to ring me, their CLId is "Withheld" and i generally have "Withheld" CLIDs blocked.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » December 14th, 2022, 5:14 pm

I just tried to register.
They sent me a letter with my new NI number.... I have had Premium bonds for over 50 years but of course I couldn't use that number, that would be much too simple... and another letter with a temporary password.

So, then I have to set up a PIN, that seems to work OK.
Then they want to send me an OTP, which arrives via the landline, I enter it.... there is a problem. it says.

So now I try adding my mobile. Which I have to do by telephoning.

First, they want to set up a permanent password and some security questions, this needs two people. The password cannot include a very common special character that I often use in passwords...
Then it needs two more people to add the phone.
Now I try to logon.

Get to the OTP, which arrives on my mobile... there is a problem it says.

My browser is up to date.
I have no problems on other websites.

I give up.
I will not be buying any more Premium Bonds.

What an overcomplex mess.

V8

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 14th, 2022, 5:37 pm

88V8 wrote:I give up. I will not be buying any more Premium Bonds. What an overcomplex mess.

Probably a silly question but do NS&I make it mandatory to have an online account and use it?

Like you I have had premium bonds for over 50 years. I have had no reason to contact them but, if I did, would they compel me to go through all this nonsense?

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Postby yorkshirelad1 » December 16th, 2022, 9:36 am

Lootman wrote:
88V8 wrote:I give up. I will not be buying any more Premium Bonds. What an overcomplex mess.

Probably a silly question but do NS&I make it mandatory to have an online account and use it?

Like you I have had premium bonds for over 50 years. I have had no reason to contact them but, if I did, would they compel me to go through all this nonsense?

I don't think it's mandatory to use an NS&I online account. They still have a phone service. However, to use either phone or online you will need an NS&I id number (usually 16 digits) which would seem to encompass your account with NS&I covering any NS&I products that you have e.g. Premium Bonds, Savings certificates and others.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » December 16th, 2022, 9:51 am

I gave up
I just use Alexa to check for prizes
Why Oh Why do websites change their rules for logging in and not tell you
My own latest bunch of incompetents are Easyjet
This page
https://www.easyjet.com/EN/secure/Accou ... swordReset
says it will send you an email
it doesn't
I emailed Easyjet about this, they emailed me back to say they have fixed it, they haven't :roll:
I hope they test their planes better than their website

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » December 16th, 2022, 11:51 am

Lootman wrote:

Funny you should mention that.... because if you look at the online Contact details, there is no phone no, but in the midst of this farrago they had to give me a phone no, and so I phone again and yes, I can buy bonds over the phone using my old Bond Holder's number from the 90s and my debit card.
I had the impression it wasn't supposed to happen... "where did you get this number?" she asked.

And "wait 48 hours" she said "while we update you account". I didn't bother to enquire what needed updating.

So after all I will be adding to the £5 that my mother bought me in 1958.

V8

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 16th, 2022, 12:40 pm

88V8 wrote:
Lootman wrote:

Funny you should mention that.... because if you look at the online Contact details, there is no phone no, but in the midst of this farrago they had to give me a phone no, and so I phone again and yes, I can buy bonds over the phone using my old Bond Holder's number from the 90s and my debit card.
I had the impression it wasn't supposed to happen... "where did you get this number?" she asked.

And "wait 48 hours" she said "while we update you account". I didn't bother to enquire what needed updating.

So after all I will be adding to the £5 that my mother bought me in 1958.

I think I have £7 worth of them from a similar year. I won £25 twice, both a long time ago, so I guess that is a reasonable return.

I don't have any paperwork or details about them, so it will be interesting to ring them up and see if they can make any sense of it just from my name and an address from 1998. I cannot even recall my phone number from back then.

Wish me luck.

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » January 17th, 2023, 5:15 pm

pje16 wrote:I gave up
I just use Alexa to check for prizes
Why Oh Why do websites change their rules for logging in and not tell you
My own latest bunch of incompetents are Easyjet
This page
https://www.easyjet.com/EN/secure/Accou ... swordReset
says it will send you an email
it doesn't
I emailed Easyjet about this, they emailed me back to say they have fixed it, they haven't :roll:
I hope they test their planes better than their website

My similar bugbear is with eBay. I wanted to sell an item - I’ve sold things before but not for a while. EBay need to set up a seller’s account. Part of this involves confirmation via text or phone call to my registered phone number, you can select which option. The phone call never comes and if eBay send a text my registered phone number, a landline can’t accept it. I get a recorded message asking if I’d like to hear the text automatically converted into speech so I accept this option and the call then terminates. No way to change my registered phone number without getting past this roadblock and no reply from eBay after over a month of trying. Why can’t people check things properly?

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » January 17th, 2023, 7:52 pm

quelquod wrote:My similar bugbear is with eBay. I wanted to sell an item - I’ve sold things before but not for a while. EBay need to set up a seller’s account...?

Perhaps fortunately I have been almost continuously active on eBay so their tampering with the Seller pages was just... annoying and I didn't have to set up a new account.
Their new 'improved' seller pages are clearly aimed at business users.
Fortunately, unlike ii, they have kept their old Seller pages in place, so the only impediment is having to delete reams of guff to produce a listing that simply pictures and describes the product.

What is also annoying is that when using FF they want to 2FA me just to log in and Watch an item, but if I copy the url into Chrome I don't have to.

I have a good few CDs for sale on there atm. Is it only me that buys CDs nowadays?
At least it didn't cost me to list them....

V8

Return to “Bitter Lemons”