Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Fashion

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Fashion

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 18th, 2023, 11:04 pm

The word "Fashion" applied to clothes - or their makers or vendors - has always been a warning sign that you're paying over the odds for something shoddy. But even the supposedly-sensible can bugger us up by playing Fashion games.

In January I went looking for a new pair of sandals, that would have a decent grip on a frozen winter pavement. I found a pair in Clarks. They not only do the job, they're also supremely comfortable.

Two months later, I like them so much I decide to buy a second pair. I walk in to exactly the same branch of Clarks and ask for them. Best of all if they have another colour so it'll be two distinct pairs, but that's a very secondary concern.

None there. There's a newer model, looks fairly similar. Same sole and slightly-padded base, but the upper part is changed: it pinches the toe, and rubs in places that could get prone to blisters. They have my sandal, but not in my size, and can no longer order a new pair :cry:

Two months! Even the Prime Minister has lasted longer than that! And I had thought Clarks was supposed to be a sensible brand :evil:

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Re: Fashion

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » March 19th, 2023, 12:00 am

Clark's never has the size you need.

You were lucky.

It won't happen again :lol:

AiY(D)

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 20th, 2023, 11:30 am

Boring well-intended suggestion. Try the Clarks outlet at Street. They often have end-of-run lines.

I feel your pain, though. I had a really magnificent pair of Seibel clogs (no sniggering), which were gloriously tough and comfortable, but after ten years of relentless abuse the soles had cracked and the thick hide uppers were coming away. I had no hesitation in going out to get a new pair. The new style was lighter, less well soled, had no reinforcements - and more expensive.

But they were still better than the competition. I bought them anyway. Don't it always seem to go, you don't know what you've got till it's gone?

BJ

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » March 21st, 2023, 12:32 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:The word "Fashion" applied to clothes - or their makers or vendors - has always been a warning sign that you're paying over the odds for something shoddy. But even the supposedly-sensible can bugger us up by playing Fashion games.

In January I went looking for a new pair of sandals, that would have a decent grip on a frozen winter pavement. I found a pair in Clarks. They not only do the job, they're also supremely comfortable.

Two months later, I like them so much I decide to buy a second pair. I walk in to exactly the same branch of Clarks and ask for them. Best of all if they have another colour so it'll be two distinct pairs, but that's a very secondary concern.

None there. There's a newer model, looks fairly similar. Same sole and slightly-padded base, but the upper part is changed: it pinches the toe, and rubs in places that could get prone to blisters. They have my sandal, but not in my size, and can no longer order a new pair :cry:

Two months! Even the Prime Minister has lasted longer than that! And I had thought Clarks was supposed to be a sensible brand :evil:

You have my sympathy. That is why I have sometimes wondered if we are all part of a spotty teenager's game in the 10th dimension.

The moment something is really good, you can guarantee that it will disappear.

There was a tablet sold in Tesco years ago that was so popular, it could only be found second hand on ebay, and for a huge sum. For Heaven's sake, WHY?

In Italy, my favourite shoes were 'Zen'. Soft, comfortable leather. Now impossible to find.

I have my own list of favourite products, but finding them is a nightmare.

Steve

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 21st, 2023, 2:24 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Boring well-intended suggestion. Try the Clarks outlet at Street. They often have end-of-run lines.
BJ

Thanks, but Street is further than I'd go for a pair of sandals. And it doesn't even have a railway, so I'd have to cycle from Yeovil or Taunton, or find a bus connection.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » March 22nd, 2023, 12:28 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:Boring well-intended suggestion. Try the Clarks outlet at Street. They often have end-of-run lines.
BJ

Thanks, but Street is further than I'd go for a pair of sandals. And it doesn't even have a railway, so I'd have to cycle from Yeovil or Taunton, or find a bus connection.

If you are still able to make out the print inside your current sandals you might be able to order some friends for them online - it's one of the benefits of being a grown up that your feet generally stay the same size

I will do this for shoes if there's a make & model I know I get on with
- because as you've pointed out the folk that make these things are fickle (which on the plus side means that you can often get a spare pair cheaper because "fashion" "seasons" and other such stuff that doesn't really affect what I put on my feet)

-sd (currently on the 3rd pair of some NB leisure shoe he bought a batch of and wears through at a rate because of clips on his bike)

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » March 22nd, 2023, 11:34 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Thanks, but Street is further than I'd go for a pair of sandals. And it doesn't even have a railway, so I'd have to cycle from Yeovil or Taunton, or find a bus connection.

A BUS? In a rural county ?

BWA HA HA!!! HO HO HO!!! HEEE HEE HEE!

NO - STOP IT - MY RIBS ARE HURTING!!!

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 23rd, 2023, 12:04 am

didds wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Thanks, but Street is further than I'd go for a pair of sandals. And it doesn't even have a railway, so I'd have to cycle from Yeovil or Taunton, or find a bus connection.

A BUS? In a rural county ?

BWA HA HA!!! HO HO HO!!! HEEE HEE HEE!

NO - STOP IT - MY RIBS ARE HURTING!!!

Well, if you insist.

Bus from Taunton: https://www.firstbus.co.uk/api/timetabl ... =pdf_large
Bus from Yeovil: https://www.firstbus.co.uk/api/timetabl ... &print=pdf

I've no idea about other options: I thought one route from each of the candidate stations should suffice and looked no further.

Once upon a time I briefly commuted in that area, when I lived in Bath and worked in Yeovil. Didn't go through Street, but would stop for a brief rest and to refill the water bottle at the roadside spring in nearby Glastonbury.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 1st, 2023, 9:13 am

Having found the sandals (not available) on Clarks' website, if anyone spots https://www.clarks.co.uk/c/Hapsford-Cove/p/26158013 in size 11 in your local shop, I'll pay to have them shipped!

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » May 1st, 2023, 12:28 pm

Bought a pair of Clarks loafers about a year ago. Hadn’t got my size in the colour I wanted, so I took my second choice of colour.
Six months later & I’m on “the continent”, whiling away the time as Mrs shops, when there, in a window, are the very Clarks I wanted in the first place; size and colour. And half the price I’d paid for the original pair. Result!

Return to “Bitter Lemons”