Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Is it all good?

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
gnawsome
Lemon Slice

Is it all good?

Postby gnawsome » May 13th, 2023, 2:30 pm

Is it really all so good that grumps are so rare?
I experience all sorts of failures - must be just me then.

Prescriptions - wrongly dispensed MOST of the time
Nonsense letters from my local GP practice and refusal to correspond via email ( despite previous agreement to do so)

Failure of savings intsis to identify payments to bank accounts.

Junk mail deliverers who refuse to acknowledge a BIG notice to not leave material at this address and on finding the letterbox blocked, they leave their rubbish on my doorstep.

Phone advertisers like Magrathea Comms - DIDW Ireland - Gamma Telecom - Twilio, who just keep calling despite the fact that I don't ever pick up the phone.

I don't have to wonder why UK productivity is reportedly so low - its because such a large sector is devoted to attempting cross-selling of trash and attempting to hoodwink anyone whom they suppose may have any money.

And speed-reading!

Any advance...

Mike4
Lemon Half

Re: Is it all good?

Postby Mike4 » May 13th, 2023, 2:34 pm

gnawsome wrote:Is it really all so good that grumps are so rare?

Nonsense letters from my local GP practice and refusal to correspond via email ( despite previous agreement to do so)

Junk mail deliverers who refuse to acknowledge a BIG notice to not leave material at this address and on finding the letterbox blocked, they leave their rubbish on my doorstep.

Phone advertisers like Magrathea Comms - DIDW Ireland - Gamma Telecom - Twilio, who just keep calling despite the fact that I don't ever pick up the phone.

I don't have to wonder why UK productivity is reportedly so low - its because such a large sector is devoted to attempting cross-selling of trash and attempting to hoodwink anyone whom they suppose may have any money.

And speed-reading!

Any advance...

How about threads pointing out TLF is hard to access at the moment. I reckon there are at least four threads on the subject running at the moment.

Why don't people check the "New Posts" before starting a new thread (on anything actually)?

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » May 13th, 2023, 4:08 pm

Mike4 wrote:How about threads pointing out TLF is hard to access at the moment. I reckon there are at least four threads on the subject running at the moment.

Why don't people check the "New Posts" before starting a new thread (on anything actually)?

We try to, but the page doesn't load ;)

Julian F. G. W.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 13th, 2023, 5:14 pm

A promising list, gnawsome. The nuisance callers are certainly a sign that we're all going to the dogs. (Does your phone do call blocking, BTW? My old Panasonic does, and it's a trick that's worth getting to know if you've got it.)

But enough of such helpfulness, and back to the matter in hand. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you. :D

Best list of grumps I ever saw was by courtesy of Stanley Green, a famous London eccentric who marched up and down Oxford Street for 25 long years carrying a placard that demanded: "LESS LUST BY LESS PROTEIN: MEAT, FISH, BIRD, EGGS, CHEESE, PEAS, BEANS, LENTILS AND (wait for it, wait for it) SITTING. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Green

I once had the pleasure of chatting with Stanley for ten minutes, and he was articulate, chatty and unexpectedly funny (in an intentional sense). And who knows, maybe he was right? Maybe those lentils are listening to every word we say, and reporting all our hidden lusts back to HQ in Moscow, or Albania, or Rwanda or Pyongyang? Gawd bless his poor demented soul, anyway. Selfridges just isn't the same without him. :(

BJ

gpadsa
2 Lemon pips

Postby gpadsa » May 13th, 2023, 9:41 pm

bungeejumper wrote:(Does your phone do call blocking

I have not had an unsolicited call on landline for years after registering no. with https://www.tpsonline.org.uk/ "the UK’s only official ‘Do Not Call’ register for landlines and Mobile numbers"

I still get an unsolicited call about once a fortnight on mobile no. after registering but I never answer calls from numbers not in my contacts anyway

gpadsa

gnawsome
Lemon Slice

Postby gnawsome » May 13th, 2023, 11:00 pm

bungeejumper wrote:...Does your phone do call blocking, BTW? My old Panasonic does, and it's a trick that's worth getting to know if you've got it
BJ

I've got a Panasonic - uf S1, about 25 yo at a guess.
I have found that its a waste of time my trying to block a single number as they have blocks of hundreds and blocking just shows you are active. I've also tried the telephone watchdog -- that didn't turn out well

gnawsome
Lemon Slice

Postby gnawsome » May 13th, 2023, 11:12 pm

gpadsa wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:(Does your phone do call blocking

I have not had an unsolicited call on landline for years after registering no. with https://www.tpsonline.org.uk/ "the UK’s only official ‘Do Not Call’ register for landlines and Mobile numbers"

I still get an unsolicited call about once a fortnight on mobile no. after registering but I never answer calls from numbers not in my contacts anyway

gpadsa

I did register with tpsonline but didn't see much improvement - maybe its time to reregister, as with the mail preference service it might have timed out.

Same as you, I never answer the phone unless the number is known to me but that is partly because I'm so deaf and witless that a telephone conversation is only ever a potential trap that I can avoid by just not picking up. Messages can be left but they are usually incomprehensible so I get a relly to decipher them when visiting.

EverybodyKnows
2 Lemon pips

Postby EverybodyKnows » May 14th, 2023, 7:53 am

And speed-reading!

Any advance...

I think life is pretty great to be honest. Bit annoyed at Liz T hammering my pension but beyond that…

*never had a wrong prescription
*never had a letter from my go other than the vaccine. They tend to phone or text. [twice this year they have given me a next day appointment - how great is that! Wasn’t anything urgent]
*very little junk Mail. Maybe fortnightly I get it in one delivery and it goes in the recycling. I actually discovered a great Chinese due to junk Mail…
*I haven’t had a spam phone call for years. Perhaps I am too boring even for those people to call me…
*low productivity depends on who you compare against I guess. Vs the USA or vs china? Neither has working practices that I would want to emulate.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » May 15th, 2023, 2:37 pm

gnawsome wrote:
gpadsa wrote:

gpadsa

I did register with tpsonline but didn't see much improvement - maybe its time to reregister, as with the mail preference service it might have timed out.

Same as you, I never answer the phone unless the number is known to me but that is partly because I'm so deaf and witless that a telephone conversation is only ever a potential trap that I can avoid by just not picking up. Messages can be left but they are usually incomprehensible so I get a relly to decipher them when visiting.

Same as you, I never answer the phone unless the number is known to me

I never answer the phone unless I know who's calling, land line and mobile.

Everybody, if urgent, can leave a message.

Steve

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 15th, 2023, 3:01 pm

And speed-reading!

Any advance...

Apart from the wrong prescriptions nothing else seems that bad. I think the weather must be getting to you. I suggest you take yourself off on holiday or even just get into the habit (if you do not already do so) of walking for 3/4 miles on at least alternate days sun or rain. I dare not say anything because for all I know you may have difficult, not to say tragic, family circumstances but if not then you have b all to worry about.

Dod

gnawsome
Lemon Slice

Postby gnawsome » May 15th, 2023, 3:16 pm

Everybody, if urgent, can leave a message.

Steve

But that depends on whether the messager has the language skills...
Plusnet left a message last week.
It took my daughter 5 attempts to glean enough to know that it was from Plus net and with the caller's name but anything beyond that was gibberish.
Why do call centre operators not ensure their responders are capable of intelligible conversation

gnawsome
Lemon Slice

Postby gnawsome » May 15th, 2023, 3:28 pm

Apart from the wrong prescriptions nothing else seems that bad. I think the weather must be getting to you. I suggest you take yourself off on holiday or even just get into the habit (if you do not already do so) of walking for 3/4 miles on at least alternate days sun or rain. I dare not say anything because for all I know you may have difficult, not to say tragic, family circumstances but if not then you have b all to worry about.
Dod

Hi Dod, I will accept your suggestions as being kindly meant - but I was just having a grump

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 17th, 2023, 7:22 am

gnawsome wrote:
Dod

Hi Dod, I will accept your suggestions as being kindly meant - but I was just having a grump

O they were kindly meant, but I find that that sort of attitude/published grump can be contagious. We can all have bad days though and if that is what it was then I hope you are over it now because there are enough grumps around without adding to them. Positively, it is now approaching midsummer and our days are already long. It is light by 3.30 ish with me and not dark until after 10 pm. and although we might still get the occasional night frost it is mostly warm and fine. Good time to be alive and enjoy the outdoors. Tends to put minor irritants of life into perspective.

Dod

Return to “Bitter Lemons”