Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Christmas

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Re: Christmas

Postby kempiejon » September 28th, 2023, 11:15 am

ReformedCharacter wrote:
Dod101 wrote:I noticed in M & S that they are selling Hot Cross Buns. Seems a bit early for that and they were not so stale as to be left overs from Easter '23.

Dod

I believe that some supermarkets sell them all year round :o

RC

Yup, I think I can get hot cross buns year round and take delight when I find mince pies and hot cross buns for sale at the same time in my local Co-Op and larger supermarkets.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » September 28th, 2023, 11:43 am

88V8 wrote:
Mike4 wrote:...I encountered a shelf display loaded with Christmas fare - holly decorated mince pies, Xmas puddings and all that.

Mince pies!
Xmas pud!
Stollen!
Lebkuchen!
and of course Turkey!
Hooray....

We booked our country-house hotel Xmas ... last Xmas.

Probably a little bit early to get the decorations down from the attic...

V8

You too have been reported to Santa :lol:

I do feel as if we will put our decorations up early this year. I'm sure our 16 year old daughter will openly remonstrate, but ensure her friends come round to see them :lol:

This will be my first Christmas with no symptoms to worry about and with the medication also providing "emotional regulation" I just want to go for it. My better half loves it when the decorations are up and she's hankering, as she always does, for an early start :)

Fortunately for all of those who find my love of Christmas not to their liking I can confirm that my good ladies birthday is in October and I'm not going to be thinking of Christmas as I can only describe her birthday as her birth month :lol:

AiY(D)

Source

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » September 28th, 2023, 1:35 pm

For what it's worth I'm just back from Aldi.

After passing all the mince pies etc, I found hot cross buns in the bread section!

My goodness but Easter is getting early these days.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » September 28th, 2023, 2:38 pm

Nothing wrong with loathing Christmas. The problems arise when your family don't. Been trying to educate them for years. They won't learn.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » September 28th, 2023, 3:10 pm

Urbandreamer wrote: I found hot cross buns in the bread section!

In recent years they seem to have become a year round delicacy.

Adamski
Lemon Quarter

Postby Adamski » September 28th, 2023, 4:03 pm

I love Christmas! And think we shall be putting up the tree early this year, October I think! Puts you in a good mood. The outside lights, will wait until 1st day of advent, 3rd Dec :)

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » September 28th, 2023, 7:08 pm

Adamski wrote:I love Christmas! And think we shall be putting up the tree early this year, October I think! )

Remember and apply a bit of lube first.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » September 30th, 2023, 9:37 am

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:I'm sure Mike, that you're more than aware of the leverage you have just so kindly provided me with 8-)

stooz wrote:It's a tough job, but without them this site will collapse into chaos.
Try to imagine anyone saying what you like, no reprimand?
It will decent into name calling and irrelevance.

We may not agree with decisions but it's always for the right reasons and for the benefit of civil discussion. Helpful advice and a supportive community.

We welcome feedback or disagreement with decisions, no one is an island, and we work together for an agreed direction.

Hi stooz,

I hope you're well and of course (noting from another Fools recent post) have spotted the mince pies in the supermarkets and have decided it must be time to get your tree up :lol: .

I'm not sure if you're aware but there's a very large number of Fools who, for reasons that I am totally at a loss to understand, do not, (yes that's right, do not) put their trees up until mere days before Christmas. Shocking :lol: . I've taken their names down and sent the list to Santa ;) .

On a slightly less serious note, you will have, by now, noticed I've acquired a clapping hands emoji myself :lol: . I checked the licence on the website and it does allow me to use the emoji for non commercial use. However, if TLF were to use it commercially a licence would be needed :( . I'm going to try and fix that ;) . I have a cunning plan :roll: :lol:

Well all I'm left to say is "Happy twas 3 months before Christmas".

AiY(D)
PS ... Santa has responded to my report of some Fools. He's dispatched his elf police with copious quantities of mince pies, Christmas cake and other such goodies to get them "in the mood" :)

Take care Fools
Copyright exists on my sense of humour (Thank goodness I hear you all say :oops: :) )

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » October 1st, 2023, 10:31 am

Mike4 wrote:J the ghastly "Tesco Local" in Ludgershall,.

My last visit to the Co-op opposite seemed to suggest it was heading the same way sadly...

SteelCamel
2 Lemon pips

Postby SteelCamel » October 3rd, 2023, 9:43 am

Alaric wrote:
Urbandreamer wrote: I found hot cross buns in the bread section!

In recent years they seem to have become a year round delicacy.

At one point Sainsburys sold "Not Cross Buns" - Hot Cross Buns but with stripes rather than a cross on top. Actual Hot Cross Buns were only available at Easter, Not Cross Buns were sold year round. But the other supermarkets just sold the ones with crosses year round and eventually Sainsburys followed.

garfsuncle
Lemon Pip

Postby garfsuncle » October 3rd, 2023, 2:43 pm

In Lidl yesterday I spotted that they had a shelf containing all the German Christmas fare. Wonderful! Why limit that delicious food to Christmas? Let me at it now! A bit like the alcoholic creams - I want them all year round.

Alan

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » October 4th, 2023, 9:02 am

dionaeamuscipula wrote:
Mike4 wrote:Just like all good Bitter Lemons I hate and loathe Christmas, so I'm always on the lookout for another chance for a good ol' moan about it.

And just such a chance dropped into my lap perfectly yesterday! Mooching around the ghastly "Tesco Local" in Ludgershall, I encountered a shelf display loaded with Christmas fare - holly decorated mince pies, Xmas puddings and all that.

On September 26th fergoodnessake!!! Is this a record?

Or is this the cue for a long series of posts citing even earlier starts to the "Christmas Season"?

Now on the lookout for the first instance this year of that other perennial cause for a moan, anything saying "Seasons Greetings" with no apostrophe...

Ahhh... thats better.

Hurray! The traditional mark of the beginning of the Christmas season: the first post moaning about how early Christmas seems to have started this year.

DM

On September 26th fergoodnessake!!! Is this a record?

Nope. I remember last year, some people had their Christmas trees up as early as January! ;)

Steve

Return to “Bitter Lemons”