Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Why I won't be Shopping in Iceland!

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
Mike4
Lemon Half

Re: Why I won't be Shopping in Iceland!

Postby Mike4 » October 16th, 2023, 9:50 am

Watis wrote:What next?

Toad in the hole without toads?

Watis

PS : Gaaa - just seen bungeejumper's last post!

Watis

Thank God no bright spark has invented alcohol-free wine yet...

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » October 16th, 2023, 9:59 am

bungeejumper wrote:
Nowadays, 0% Guinness is a different matter altogether.

BJ

I had Guiness 0% for the first time this week and was surprised and impressed how close it was to the real thing. This was a widget can and though I'm not a regular Guinness drinker if it appeared in my local on draught I'd buy it. Not sure whether it's being rolled out on draught yet though?

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » October 16th, 2023, 10:10 am

bungeejumper wrote:
Nowadays, 0% Guinness is a different matter altogether.

BJ
Dicky99 wrote:
I had Guiness 0% for the first time this week and was surprised and impressed how close it was to the real thing. This was a widget can and though I'm not a regular Guinness drinker if it appeared in my local on draught I'd buy it. Not sure whether it's being rolled out on draught yet though?

The Guiness widget can has been around for decades. It's got to be one of the most impressive uses of technology I recall encountering ;)

I didn't try the alcohol free though. Good to hear it's taste isn't lost in the process of remvoing the alcohol. Many beers taste awful in their alcohol free state :(

AiY(D)

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » October 16th, 2023, 10:26 am

Mike4 wrote:

Watis

Watis

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/shop/drinks/alcohol-free-and-low-alcohol-drinks/alcohol-free-and-low-alcohol-wine

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 16th, 2023, 10:34 am

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:I didn't try the [Guinness] alcohol free though. Good to hear it's taste isn't lost in the process of remvoing the alcohol. Many beers taste awful in their alcohol free state :(

It's not an exact match for the real thing, because the taste and smell of alcohol is always difficult to imitate. A faint hint of lemon, I think? But more than satisfactory for a dry lunchtime.

Another one that I quite enjoy is the bottled 0% version of Doom Bar, which is qite a different animal from the standard product. (Which itself is but a poor shadow of what it was like ten or twelve years ago. :( ) Lighter, not so hoppy, but pretty good on a warm afternoon.

Alcohol free wine? They're still working on it,and it's mostly too sweet. Now and then I mix a little Eisberg Merlot with Cabernet Sauvignon or Primitivo, which is better than it sounds. :)

BJ

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » October 16th, 2023, 10:47 am

bungeejumper wrote:It's not an exact match for the real thing, because the taste and smell of alcohol is always difficult to imitate. A faint hint of lemon, I think? But more than satisfactory for a dry lunchtime.

Another one that I quite enjoy is the bottled 0% version of Doom Bar, which is qite a different animal from the standard product.

15 nights into my annual Sobertober - I buy the Guinness AF as my evening tipple. I have tried a few other low/no alcohol beers and mostly they do not work, Bavaria is a bit like a lager and I quite enjoy that, I'll try that Doom Bar.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » October 16th, 2023, 12:07 pm

Mike4 wrote:

Watis

Watis

They have. We are partial to Nozeco, which allows me to have several glasses when we are visiting the wife's best friend. £3.25 at Tesco, I believe. Other brands are available.

I had a bottle of Adnam's Low alcohol Ghost Ship at Wetherspoons on Beaconsfield Services on Friday. I think that's the best of the low alcohol beers, but Brewdigs Nanny State IPA runs it close.

TJH

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 16th, 2023, 12:18 pm

It tends to annoy me that most of the alcohol-free beers, wines and spirits* aren't much cheaper than the fully-loaded version, despite no excise duty being payable. I sense somebody's making a killing out of it.

* - Gordons 0.0% Alcohol Free Spirit £21.43/litre at Tesco https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... /308082033

Scott.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » October 16th, 2023, 12:29 pm

swill453 wrote:It tends to annoy me that most of the alcohol-free beers, wines and spirits* aren't much cheaper than the fully-loaded version, despite no excise duty being payable. I sense somebody's making a killing out of it.

* - Gordons 0.0% Alcohol Free Spirit £21.43/litre at Tesco https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... /308082033

Scott.

You need to buy shares in Diageo who make it. (after all this is a finance site)

Caveat: I already own some, so it might be the likes of me that you are referring to.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » October 16th, 2023, 12:35 pm

swill453 wrote:It tends to annoy me that most of the alcohol-free beers, wines and spirits* aren't much cheaper than the fully-loaded version, despite no excise duty being payable. I sense somebody's making a killing out of it.

Scott.

Tried that one. Rubbish!
There are various ways to make zero/low alcohol drinks, and one way is to ferment as usual and then remove the alcohol. I wonder if the costs of the extra processing make up for the reduction in duty?

--kiloran

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 16th, 2023, 12:41 pm

kiloran wrote:

Tried that one. Rubbish!
There are various ways to make zero/low alcohol drinks, and one way is to ferment as usual and then remove the alcohol. I wonder if the costs of the extra processing make up for the reduction in duty?

There's nearly £12 duty in a litre of gin. That's a heck of a lot of processing.

And if they do make it that way, I bet they can resell the alcohol as well.

Scott.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » October 16th, 2023, 12:50 pm

kiloran wrote:

Scott.

Tried that one. Rubbish!

--kiloran

That and the smaller batches will go someway to explaining the greater than expected cost - I'm just glad they've worked out how to leave some of the taste in

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » October 16th, 2023, 12:52 pm

kempiejon wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:It's not an exact match for the real thing, because the taste and smell of alcohol is always difficult to imitate. A faint hint of lemon, I think? But more than satisfactory for a dry lunchtime.

Another one that I quite enjoy is the bottled 0% version of Doom Bar, which is qite a different animal from the standard product.

15 nights into my annual Sobertober - I buy the Guinness AF as my evening tipple. I have tried a few other low/no alcohol beers and mostly they do not work, Bavaria is a bit like a lager and I quite enjoy that, I'll try that Doom Bar.

When I was compelled to ditch the beer for a few weeks last year I bought a range of no/low beers and the most acceptable to me was Brooklyn Special Effects Lager though it was more of a brown beer than a lager.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » October 16th, 2023, 1:02 pm

Dicky99 wrote:
kempiejon wrote:

When I was compelled to ditch the beer for a few weeks last year I bought a range of no/low beers and the most acceptable to me was Brooklyn Special Effects Lager though it was more of a brown beer than a lager.

Oh! l will have to look for that - I think my favorite thing about Brooklyn Lager is that it isn't really ;)

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 16th, 2023, 1:52 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:[*]Traditionally I believe Yorkshire puddings are served first before the main meal. I think this was to fill the stomach and reduce the amount of "expensive" food that was imbibed[/list]

Not at all unusual. Italian cuisine makes a virtue of it, with the "Primo" (most usually pasta dish - and much plainer than pasta recipes in Blighty) served to fill you up ahead of the more expensive "Secondo" (traditionally meat or fish).

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » October 16th, 2023, 2:22 pm

kempiejon wrote:

I wouldn't bother. We've tried a LOT of alcohol free beers over the last year or so, jut had a quick look at there are 6 different types in the cupbosrd, plus 4 ciders.

Stella and San Miguel are tolerable, MrsF likes the Erdinger "isotonic drink", but really I've only found Leffe and Brooklyn Special Effects to be truly drinkable.

With Ciders they are generally better, although many are low rather than Zero.

However we tend to just buy 'posh' pops - Morissons 'The Best' fizzy drinks are good, raspberry lemonade and Ginger Beer especially, and Co-op do a few good ones.

Paul

ps - went to tip, forgot to go to Iceland :(

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » October 16th, 2023, 3:02 pm

We've just made 8 litres of Damson Gin but we have to go to England to buy the gin because it's £4 pound a litre cheaper thanks to the teetotal, non driving barsteward who's currently in charge in the Sennedd. I wish his ancestors had remained in England.

R6

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » October 16th, 2023, 11:28 pm

0.5% Ghost Ship, not bad but it does lack something.
Brewdog Punk IPA Alcohol Free I like.
Doom Bar with or without alcohol does nothing for me. They are very different and I don't like either.
Alcohol-free ciders taste like apple juice or mixed fruit juice to me.
I like Sainsbury's alcohol-free red wine. I might try mixing it with some port.

Julian F. G. W.

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » October 17th, 2023, 12:19 am

Beer tastes horrible.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » October 17th, 2023, 8:36 am

CliffEdge wrote:Beer tastes horrible.

“For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.” (The Winters Tale)

There are plenty of other quotes and remarks about "beer". In particular the move to add hops to it was not universally popular.

Suffice to say though that there are many who disagree with you.

Return to “Bitter Lemons”