Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Black bloody Friday

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Black bloody Friday

Postby Clitheroekid » November 24th, 2023, 5:40 pm

I'm sick to death of getting email after email with BBF special offers. On a quick trawl of my deleted items box there were 19 of them just today and yesterday.

And this is despite having a very effective spam filter. They were all from websites that I'm normally happy to receive email from, including The Times, The Guardian, various legal websites, Ryanair, Skyscanner, The Royal Opera House and chess.com.

I detest the term anyway, partly because I'm becoming increasingly depressed at the infinite propensity of idiots to buy rubbish and destroy the planet, and partly because it's yet another poxy US import (or perhaps that should be `importation') like trick or treat and decaf soya latte.

I feel better for that :lol:

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Black bloody Friday

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 24th, 2023, 6:12 pm

Was that today? Being Friday, and one of the darkest of the year ...

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » November 24th, 2023, 7:01 pm

Get down asda and riot for one of the cheap TV's :D

(un) fortunately there are no longer real deals anymore just prices that have been reduced after being put up a couple of weeks ago.

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » November 24th, 2023, 7:26 pm

Gerry557 wrote:Get down asda and riot for one of the cheap TV's :D

(un) fortunately there are no longer real deals anymore just prices that have been reduced after being put up a couple of weeks ago.

Sigh.

I miss the TV coverage of folk punching each others lights out for a Blaupunkt telly.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » November 25th, 2023, 7:09 pm

Tedx wrote:
Gerry557 wrote:Get down asda and riot for one of the cheap TV's :D

Sigh.

I miss the TV coverage of folk punching each others lights out for a Blaupunkt telly.

Yes the naked greed on display is so edifying.

An example of it was from my own place of work which was a custom built IT building. For reasons I shan't go into, a famous IT company, as a gesture of goodwill, announced that they'd pick up the tab in the cafeteria for that day. I and most of my colleagues assumed that to mean lunch. However some realised that not just lunch was available in the cafeteria. The sight of well paid men gleefully loading up trays with confectionary and soft drinks, turned my stomach. I hope it did there's too.

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » November 25th, 2023, 7:53 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:I'm sick to death of getting email after email with BBF special offers. On a quick trawl of my deleted items box there were 19 of them just today and yesterday.

Zero here. Not a one.

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » November 26th, 2023, 10:38 am

Cant help the nagging thought that the name "Black" Friday is low-key racism

The true origin of the post-Thanksgiving Black Friday lies in the sense of black meaning “marked by disaster or misfortune.” In the 1950s, factory managers first started referring to the Friday after Thanksgiving as Black Friday because so many of their workers decided to falsely call in sick, thus extending the holiday weekend. https://www.dictionary.com/e/black-friday/

Laughton
Lemon Slice

Postby Laughton » November 26th, 2023, 12:17 pm

Whilst it might have started out as a "special sale day" surely should have been renamed Black November by now.

Much like Christmas which used to start sometime in December but now seems to kick off in supermarkets etc. at the beginning of October.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 26th, 2023, 6:50 pm

Lanark wrote:Cant help the nagging thought that the name "Black" Friday is low-key racism

The symbolism of blackness goes back a lot further than white-vs-black racism. Insofar as the language is racist, it's in the use of loaded words to describe races of people. Though you can argue against (and find counterexamples to) that, too: the words are, after all, descriptive, especially in the context of a society witnessing something most of them have never seen before.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 26th, 2023, 7:48 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Lanark wrote:Cant help the nagging thought that the name "Black" Friday is low-key racism

The symbolism of blackness goes back a lot further than white-vs-black racism. Insofar as the language is racist, it's in the use of loaded words to describe races of people. Though you can argue against (and find counterexamples to) that, too: the words are, after all, descriptive, especially in the context of a society witnessing something most of them have never seen before.

Such conspiracy theories do not hold up. The term "black" also means something being financially good i.e. you are "in the black" if you have assets and no debt.

Various accounts attribute the term to the difficulty of getting Americans to work on the day after Thanksgiving, given that it is always on a Thursday. And to stresses that arise on that day as a result.

The 1929 US stock market crash also happened on a Friday, and folks called that "Black Friday".

Thanksgiving ends up being a 4-day break, which is a lot for a country that bans having two consecutive bank holidays. So even Christmas is just a one day break in the US, versus what often feels like a 2 week break here.

So all you chaps who like to see race in everything are barking up the wrong tree here.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 26th, 2023, 8:15 pm

Lootman wrote:So all you chaps

Steady on, old chap. Bit sexist with the attitude there, aren't we?
who like to see race in everything

To whom might that refer? I note the plural, and that your immediate quote was something I posted.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 26th, 2023, 8:25 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Lootman wrote:So all you chaps

Steady on, old chap. Bit sexist with the attitude there, aren't we?
who like to see race in everything

To whom might that refer? I note the plural, and that your immediate quote was something I posted.

Most uncles are male, although one of my kids' friends has an uncle who "identifies" as female.

But you did say "The symbolism of blackness goes back a lot further than white-vs-black racism." which rather implies that you see race as a factor, no?

Personally I can use phrases like "Black Friday" and "blackboard" without being distracted into thoughts about race. I guess that makes me post-racial?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 26th, 2023, 8:30 pm

Lootman wrote:But you did say "The symbolism of blackness goes back a lot further than white-vs-black racism." which rather implies that you see race as a factor, no?

Quite the reverse! Do you suppose the god-botherers who gave us all that Black Pit of Hell symbolism had African people in mind? Seems absurd to me!

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » November 26th, 2023, 8:33 pm

Lootman wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Steady on, old chap. Bit sexist with the attitude there, aren't we?

Most uncles are male, although one of my kids' friends has an uncle who "identifies" as female.

My kids, like me, have been students and enthusiasts of word-play for many years. Way back in their early childhood they decided their uncle and aunt were to be known as as Uncle Susan and Auntie Cedric.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 26th, 2023, 8:36 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Lootman wrote:But you did say "The symbolism of blackness goes back a lot further than white-vs-black racism." which rather implies that you see race as a factor, no?

Quite the reverse! Do you suppose the god-botherers who gave us all that Black Pit of Hell symbolism had African people in mind? Seems absurd to me!

OK. But you could have phrased it as "The symbolism of blackness has nothing to do with white-vs-black racism", which is how I might have phrased it.

There are bad things that are "white" and good things that are "black".

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 26th, 2023, 10:12 pm

Lootman wrote:There are bad things that are "white" and good things that are "black".

Would that be your black belt in whitewashing?

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 27th, 2023, 1:37 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Lootman wrote:There are bad things that are "white" and good things that are "black".

Would that be your black belt in whitewashing?

I suspect that any topic can be manipulated into being about race if someone sufficiently desires that. But what does it really say about a person who sees race in everything in that way?

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » November 28th, 2023, 7:58 am

Lootman wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Would that be your black belt in whitewashing?

I suspect that any topic can be manipulated into being about race if someone sufficiently desires that. But what does it really say about a person who sees race in everything in that way?

What is particularly stupid to me is the fact that the African Diaspora are not even black, and Caucasians are not white! Language has merely evolved, as languages do, to use these adjectives to describe us.

Not only is it unscientific, but anybody who has studied English/Linguistics will tell about the power of opposites to create an effect. Thus, hot-cold, up-down, good-evil, wet-dry, white-black etc. Thus whether people are aware of it or not, the use of white-black is already creating an idea of 'them vs us' in their minds.

Years ago, I did evening voluntary work as an Adult Literacy teacher in Hertfordshire, and occasionally chatted to our very ethnically diverse students about this. Everybody agreed that they didn't like it. The young lady who organised the classes was not too happy about these chats. Her whole job, so it seemed to me, revolved around a continuous and exaggerated war against racism and gender inequality and she never shut up about it, even though the classes were very balanced male-female and I never encountered a whiff of racist behaviour. Racism was part of her 'raison d'etre' and I reckon that her rants did more harm than good.

Steve

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 28th, 2023, 10:41 am

stevensfo wrote:Racism was part of her 'raison d'etre' and I reckon that her rants did more harm than good.

Steve

Hmmm. A bit like the Radio 4 attitude, constantly denigrating the white male?

This thread has shown us the mirror image: a totally counter-evidential assumption of such attitudes:
So all you chaps who like to see race in everything

As for black and white in language, I love Papageno's attitude. When the bird-man Papageno and the blackamoor Monastatos encounter each other when each has been - in different ways - transgressing, they each take the other for the Devil and are terrified in a perfectly symmetric comic scene. But in the next scene, Papageno reflects: if there can be black birds, why not black men? - and loses his fear. And that's in a deeply politically-incorrect wider context that would never be tolerated in a modern work!

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » November 28th, 2023, 10:50 am

Give CK a 40% discount for having to read all the off topic comments.

T4.2

Return to “Bitter Lemons”