Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Inland Revenue

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Inland Revenue

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 13th, 2024, 3:36 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:Many years ago when I worked for Inland Revenue underpayments of £50 or less were ignored as it was deemed too costly to pursue collection. It would seem that the advent of Self Assessment and the use of computers have changed all that. Of course in my day, phones were actually answered, staff had to go on training courses, politness to taxpayers was mandatory and believe it or not we realised that we were there to help taxpayers if they were having problems.

R6

That's kind-of what I thought when I got the 10p bill. I hesitated a long time before paying, partly 'cos of uncertainty over that, and partly 'cos I wasn't at all convinced it was right in the first place.

But when it's all online, there's noone you can just ask without undue hassle. So pay up or take the risk of getting into an argument. At 10p, a bit of a no-brainer there.

Bminusrob
Lemon Slice

Postby Bminusrob » January 15th, 2024, 9:41 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Rhyd6 wrote:Many years ago when I worked for Inland Revenue underpayments of £50 or less were ignored as it was deemed too costly to pursue collection. It would seem that the advent of Self Assessment and the use of computers have changed all that. Of course in my day, phones were actually answered, staff had to go on training courses, politness to taxpayers was mandatory and believe it or not we realised that we were there to help taxpayers if they were having problems.

R6

That's kind-of what I thought when I got the 10p bill. I hesitated a long time before paying, partly 'cos of uncertainty over that, and partly 'cos I wasn't at all convinced it was right in the first place.

But when it's all online, there's noone you can just ask without undue hassle. So pay up or take the risk of getting into an argument. At 10p, a bit of a no-brainer there.

I would have been sorely tempted to pay 9p, and see what transpired.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » January 15th, 2024, 4:51 pm

Bminusrob wrote:I would have been sorely tempted to pay 9p, and see what transpired.

Or 11p ...

Return to “Bitter Lemons”