Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Cultural Appropriation

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Cultural Appropriation

Postby JMN2 » May 9th, 2017, 9:44 am

Learned this new term today, some white celebrity braided her hair in Jamaica while on holiday. This is bad, apparently.

But there is no problem if a white teenager half-wit is wearing his pants down his knees and wears a stupid baseball cap and waves his arms and says "Yo mo**erf***er!".

wheypat
Lemon Slice

Re: Cultural Appropriation

Postby wheypat » May 9th, 2017, 12:20 pm

First time I heard this it was a person of colour (is that pc?) discussing how it wasn't right for a white person to do their hair in this way. I yelled at the TV "Stop speaking in English, that's a white language. Stop Cultural Appropriation."

Apparently I shouldn't have done this in front of my 7 year old son and his mates . . . . .

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » May 9th, 2017, 12:29 pm

WRT Caribbean and some African people speaking English that may have less to do with cultural appropriation as being forced to speak it decades ago by British people holding guns and/or employing them.

Possibly.

YMMV :)

didds

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 9th, 2017, 1:35 pm

Is it cultural appropriation if a Jamaican person wears a suit and does a high-status professional job?

There are lots of idiots around. Some of them practice mindless Political Correctness, including racism and sexism. What grates is when some of those get a serious media platform. Was this in mainstream media, or were you engaging in cultural tourism?

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » May 9th, 2017, 1:37 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Was this in mainstream media, or were you engaging in cultural tourism?

Nick Ferrari at LBC.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 9th, 2017, 4:59 pm

didds wrote:WRT Caribbean and some African people speaking English that may have less to do with cultural appropriation as being forced to speak it decades ago by British people holding guns and/or employing them.

Somewhere on The Onion, there's a fine spoof of a Trump speech in which "he" accuses the incoming Africans of having been economic migrants, moving in on America's territory with the intention of stealing an education, along with all the benefits of the higher civilisation that they were joining. The scary part is that some part of the Prez's brain might indeed see it that way. :?

BJ

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » May 10th, 2017, 7:45 pm

Seems the LGBT community are annoyed that some firms are printing T shirts with "femme" written on them. Seems this word belongs to the LGBT community and others shouldn't use it, now I know "O" level French was sixty years ago but I could have sworn that Femme was French for wife. Perhaps the nice Mr. Macron could have a word in their shell like.

R6
ps. all the right letters not sure about the right order ;)

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » May 11th, 2017, 12:12 pm

Seems the LGBT community are annoyed that some firms are printing T shirts with "femme" written on them.

Sounds like a joke to me. Almost every perfume in the world will have either 'pour femme' or 'pour homme' on it.

Yes it means woman, but 'ma femme' means 'my wife'.

Look forward to the legal battle over copyright. LGBT community vs The french. :-)

Steve

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » May 15th, 2017, 4:14 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:Seems the LGBT community are annoyed that some firms are printing T shirts with "femme" written on them. Seems this word belongs to the LGBT community and others shouldn't use it

Well in that case, they can't have "LGB", which is owned by a German model railway company. https://www.lgb.com/

Why couldn't they just stick with "gay". At least that made them sound happy about it.

Gryff

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 16th, 2017, 12:31 am

gryffron wrote:
Rhyd6 wrote:Seems the LGBT community are annoyed that some firms are printing T shirts with "femme" written on them. Seems this word belongs to the LGBT community and others shouldn't use it

Well in that case, they can't have "LGB", which is owned by a German model railway company. https://www.lgb.com/

Why couldn't they just stick with "gay". At least that made them sound happy about it.

Gryff

Have you noticed the yoof of recent(ish) times using "gay" to mean bad/stupid?

The Politically Correct (aka BBC) are outraged: "gay" belongs to the homosexual "community" and this usage is homophobia.

Your Uncle Ebenezer rejoices in the PC brigade's outrage. The word won't regain its innocence in the foreseeable future, but that doesn't make it property of any community. I'm fine with the homosexual usage, but anyone claiming exclusivity for it richly deserves all the outrage the yoof can inflict on them.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » May 16th, 2017, 7:38 am

The Politically Correct (aka BBC) are outraged: "gay" belongs to the homosexual "community" and this usage is homophobia.

I still have a stamp album from my childhood called 'Gay Venture'. Big red letters on a light background of stamps, and I'm very proud of it.

The LGBT people and the BBC are clearly being philatolophobic and I'm saddened, disgusted, incensed, shocked, offended and outraged!

I would say more but the page from my thesaurus is torn out. :-)

Steve

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 16th, 2017, 2:11 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:Seems the LGBT community are annoyed that some firms are printing T shirts with "femme" written on them. Seems this word belongs to the LGBT community and others shouldn't use it ;)

LGBT? Tut tut, where have you been for these last three weeks? It's LGBTI now, because we've just added Intersex to the list. Although in practice the I's have presumably been with us since the dawn of time, because about one in 1,000 babies is born in that condition. It's just that, for the last half million years, nobody's felt the need to pin a minority label on the poor sods.

Sometimes it puts my head in a bit of a spin. Only last night, the local telly was taking about a woman and her husband - except that when he finally appeared on the screen, he was a she. Or rather, as it then transpired, he was a former he who'd decided that he was now a she, but who had then put on a suit and tie, just to make it all right to be called a husband even though he (or she, as he now styled himself) wanted to be a former he and now a she. Got that?

No offence intended, and we're all liberals, and all that, but we're going to need some new words to describe these cross-gender roles if the rest of us aren't going to go barmy. You can stretch language just so far before you finally make yourself incomprehensible to everybody.

BJ

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » May 16th, 2017, 2:50 pm

"person"

didds

malkymoo
Lemon Slice

Postby malkymoo » May 16th, 2017, 8:29 pm

Latest piece of complained-about cultural appropriation - Chanel boomerangs
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-39932776

In this case I could not help thinking that the complainants might have a good point.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » May 16th, 2017, 8:52 pm

In this case I could not help thinking that the complainants might have a good point

I read that article twice. Then I read it like Paddington Bear, with one eye closed and the lights dimmed, hoping to understand it.

What a load of cr+p! A french luxury company makes some jewellery in boomerang shapes and we're supposed to think it's insulting somebody?

The clues are in the last quarter of the article. They mention 'compensation', 'money' etc

Oh great! Cultural Appropriation. Just another convenient expression that nobody understands.

The only example I can think of is Michael Jackson spending a fortune to turn his skin pink, but I'm sure there are others.

Steve

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » May 17th, 2017, 2:33 pm

malkymoo wrote:Latest piece of complained-about cultural appropriation - Chanel boomerangs
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-39932776

I read that and noted the country in question, and thought it might be re: Aussie chavs complaining 'some foreign shop' had appropriated their Christian name :lol:

Gaggsy
Lemon Slice

Postby Gaggsy » May 17th, 2017, 3:09 pm

gryffron wrote:

Gryff

Surely, off-limits would be LG.com and BT.com ? - Life's Good, It's Good to Talk.

Whilst on acronyms, I'm sure I've seen that recent versions include a Q on the end of LGBT. Just to make sure nobody's missed out. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=LGBT%2B

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » May 18th, 2017, 9:31 am

I would think the bigger concern is not any alleged cultural appropriation, but there are people stupid enough to think a "boomerang" at that price is cool.

Does it come back if you throw it? Would anybody spending that amount of money on a piece of "Isawyoucoming" tat actually throw it away to find out?

whatever

didds

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » May 18th, 2017, 9:42 am

I can't see why an expensive boomerang is any more objectionable than the cheap ones we used to buy on seaside holidays. And they didn't come back either.

Scott.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » May 18th, 2017, 10:39 am

didds wrote:I would think the bigger concern is not any alleged cultural appropriation, but there are people stupid enough to think a "boomerang" at that price is cool. Does it come back if you throw it? didds

It was a headline grabbing marketing gimmick, and it worked; witness this conversation.

Properly made boomerangs do come back, but only if you throw them in the correct way. Something that I don't recall being taught as a child growing up in the UK.

Return to “Bitter Lemons”