Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Cultural Appropriation

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Re: Cultural Appropriation

Postby Slarti » May 18th, 2017, 5:09 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:
didds wrote:I would think the bigger concern is not any alleged cultural appropriation, but there are people stupid enough to think a "boomerang" at that price is cool. Does it come back if you throw it? didds

It was a headline grabbing marketing gimmick, and it worked; witness this conversation.

Properly made boomerangs do come back, but only if you throw them in the correct way. Something that I don't recall being taught as a child growing up in the UK.

Take 2 equal lengths of sheet balsa, each about 1' long and secure them in an X with 2 elastic bands.

Throw it at a bit of an angle to the horizontal and it will come back, if you give a flick with the wrist to spin it.

Hamlys used to sell them back in the 60s

Slarti

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 19th, 2017, 10:39 am

Slarti wrote:Hamleys used to sell them back in the 60s

Still do, I think. There'll often be some student employed to stand in the open gallery bit in the middle of the shop, winging these sorts of flying/throwing toys around the space with a practised dexterity that would never make you think it was quite hard to do. Just like with a diabolo or a magic pack of cards or a plate-spinning stick, you don't get to find that part out until you get home and decide there's no point in going back for a refund. ;)

BJ

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » May 19th, 2017, 7:10 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
Slarti wrote:Hamleys used to sell them back in the 60s

Still do, I think. There'll often be some student employed to stand in the open gallery bit in the middle of the shop, winging these sorts of flying/throwing toys around the space with a practised dexterity that would never make you think it was quite hard to do. Just like with a diabolo or a magic pack of cards or a plate-spinning stick, you don't get to find that part out until you get home and decide there's no point in going back for a refund. ;)

BJ

I think that they came in packs of 2 "boomerangs", 1 small for in the house and one large for the garden. Except that my parents made me take them over the rec where I wouldn't either knock anything over or throw them into the neighbour's gardens.

Only took about 5 minutes to get them to come back to my general location, but a few weeks before I could catch them every time.

Then when they got broken I bought some sheet balsa from the local modelling shop and made a much bigger one.
That was actually dangerous to others :twisted:

Slarti

panamagold
Lemon Slice

Postby panamagold » May 19th, 2017, 9:04 pm

What do they call a boomerang that won't come back?

A stick.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 19th, 2017, 10:56 pm

panamagold wrote:What do they call a boomerang that won't come back?

A stick.

A stick comes back more reliably than any boomerang.

That's what dogs are for.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » May 24th, 2017, 7:44 pm

swill453 wrote:I can't see why an expensive boomerang is any more objectionable than the cheap ones we used to buy on seaside holidays. And they didn't come back either.

Scott.

Bet you were throwing them the wrong way round!

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » May 25th, 2017, 7:17 am

I had those balsa glider airplanes instead, didn't come back either and lasted about a day. I see they still sell them.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » June 14th, 2017, 4:18 pm

LGBT and now LGBTI
It is so difficult to keep up and avoid upsetting or insulting people.
Perhaps we could work by exception and just use NS (not straight) - except that the non-smoking majority have culturally appropriated it.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » June 14th, 2017, 4:40 pm

It's going to be pretty odd returning to the UK after 10 years living in 100% PC-free countries. What are the rules, what am I no longer permitted to say? It all looms as something of a minefield. Will I be regarded a social fossil as being so far 'detached from the programme'. ...And should I care? Hmmm :) :?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 14th, 2017, 5:48 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:It's going to be pretty odd returning to the UK after 10 years living in 100% PC-free countries. What are the rules, what am I no longer permitted to say? It all looms as something of a minefield. Will I be regarded a social fossil as being so far 'detached from the programme'. ...And should I care? Hmmm :) :?

You'll get the hang of it. And if you don't, just let me know when the prison visiting hours are and I'll be sure to drop in with something for the bruises. :D

BJ

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » October 8th, 2017, 1:37 pm

This only works one way. If you're say George Benson and have a nose-job, it is not CA. If you're a loony-lefty hippie from BBC Gardener's World showing your community garden and allotment and have rastafari or Kenyan treadlocks, that's not CA either.

paulnumbers
Lemon Slice

Postby paulnumbers » October 8th, 2017, 2:13 pm

JMN2 wrote:Learned this new term today, some white celebrity braided her hair in Jamaica while on holiday. This is bad, apparently.

But there is no problem if a white teenager half-wit is wearing his pants down his knees and wears a stupid baseball cap and waves his arms and says "Yo mo**erf***er!".

You might like Jordan Peterson ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNUcR-eMxaE

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » October 8th, 2017, 6:19 pm

Thanks for that link Paulnumbers I hadn't heard of him. I'm now following a 1/2hr linked vid from another that followed on from your link, and I (so far) find his positions compelling. Not sure I'll have time to get to the on-linked vid (@ right side-bar) where he apparently 'Proves God is real', that'd be fascinating, maybe one to come back to... as if persuades me of that it's be quite something!

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » October 8th, 2017, 10:28 pm

https://youtu.be/18ZmPwuuj88

World's gone crazy, don't be a damn victim!

I didn't realise it had gone this far, this madness. Come Trump, press the button! Do us a favour, please!

Come Corbyn, wreck the economy! Do us a favour, please! Come Rocket Man, do your worst! Us 50+ hetero beer drinking meat-eaters are feeling oppressed!

todthedog
Lemon Slice

Postby todthedog » October 9th, 2017, 8:34 am

Trying to recapture my lost youth.
Can anyone tell me where I can buy one of those golf hats where the peak goes backwards to redirect rain down the back of your neck.
Where can I nick this bit of youf culture!

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 9th, 2017, 8:37 am

Just buy any baseball cap. You find your IQ reduces by 1 point for every degree you rotate it backwards.

Scott.

paulnumbers
Lemon Slice

Postby paulnumbers » October 9th, 2017, 8:03 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:Thanks for that link Paulnumbers I hadn't heard of him. I'm now following a 1/2hr linked vid from another that followed on from your link, and I (so far) find his positions compelling. Not sure I'll have time to get to the on-linked vid (@ right side-bar) where he apparently 'Proves God is real', that'd be fascinating, maybe one to come back to... as if persuades me of that it's be quite something!

He's an interesting (and slightly unstable) chap all right. Political incorrectness seems to be his thing! I'm an atheist myself, but I have found his videos on Christianity quite interesting.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » November 13th, 2017, 8:31 am

Cultural appropriation raises its ugly head again! Tesco has muslims in this year's Christmas advert. What's next, people eating sushi?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 13th, 2017, 8:39 am

JMN2 wrote:Cultural appropriation raises its ugly head again! Tesco has muslims in this year's Christmas advert. What's next, people eating sushi?

Does it? Glad I don't notice these things, though seeing a christmas advert of any kind before at least December makes a strong incentive to go elsewhere.

But you've lost me. There might be misguided political correctness in such an advert, but who exactly is appropriating whose culture?

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » November 13th, 2017, 8:55 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
JMN2 wrote:Cultural appropriation raises its ugly head again! Tesco has muslims in this year's Christmas advert. What's next, people eating sushi?

Does it? Glad I don't notice these things, though seeing a christmas advert of any kind before at least December makes a strong incentive to go elsewhere.

But you've lost me. There might be misguided political correctness in such an advert, but who exactly is appropriating whose culture?

Apparently muslim women give each other Christmas presents in the advert. Christian culture is being appropriated by muslims. It's like a christian going to Sainsbury's new sushi stand and bying raw fish, Japanese being mostly shinto.

Return to “Bitter Lemons”