Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Passport

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
Dod101
The full Lemon

Passport

Postby Dod101 » November 7th, 2017, 11:50 pm

I am often a bit of a BL but following on from the Council Tax thread I want to recount my experience with HM Passport Office. My passport was due to expire in the next few months so I decided to renew it now on the basis that many countries would like me to have more than a few months left on it. I went through the tedious business of getting a Photo Me photo which apparently met the Passport Office requirements. Then I needed an application form. Down to my local Post Office which is not a 'main office' as I now know, so they did not hold the form. However the ethnic gentleman who runs it and explained this to me said 'Never mind. Take my personal application form and I will get another one.' and handed me the form. I completed it and sent it off with the photos. Two weeks later (today) I received my new passport by courier. The civil service is often regarded as incompetent and useless but I must say that this service has been amazing.

I find the same with HMRC when I file my tax return on line.

Somebody somewhere is getting their act together, Glory Halleluliah!

Dod

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Passport

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 8th, 2017, 12:43 am

Yep. Last time I renewed was such a happy, pain-free experience I felt compelled to present it as a contrast with the painful red tape of the NHS. The quick and efficient vs the painfully unclear and inconsistent. https://bahumbug.wordpress.com/2013/08/ ... -agencies/ .

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » November 8th, 2017, 7:50 am

Doesn't one need to give fingerprints for the passport in the UK (so a visit to a police station/passport office is needed)?

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » November 8th, 2017, 8:28 am

JMN2 wrote:Doesn't one need to give fingerprints for the passport in the UK (so a visit to a police station/passport office is needed)?

Only if you're not a European citizen.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 8th, 2017, 8:59 am

Not only that, but the last time I had to renew my driving licence online, I was able to tell them "oh, just use the digital photo you've already got on file for my passport." And they did, and it was all quite annoyingly quick and efficient. ;)

Fast forward a couple of years, and Google or Amazon will have a documentary repository of their own.

"Alexa, send my photo to the Passport Office."

"You mean the photo where you're wearing a tie? Or the one I surreptitiously snapped from under the bedside table on Tuesday night, with the tequila and the hula skirt?"

BJ

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 8th, 2017, 10:22 am

This thread is dangerously off-topic for this board...

John

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » November 13th, 2017, 1:00 am

Dod101 wrote:I went through the tedious business of getting a Photo Me photo which apparently met the Passport Office requirements. Then I needed an application form. Down to my local Post Office which is not a 'main office' as I now know, so they did not hold the form. However the ethnic gentleman who runs it and explained this to me said 'Never mind. Take my personal application form and I will get another one.' and handed me the form. I completed it and sent it off with the photos.

Well quite blatantly going O/T I renewed my passport recently without leaving my desk. It's now possible to complete the entire process in minutes, including uploading a digital photo (which I took myself on my phone). It even reviews the photo you upload to check it's compliant, and if not it asks for another.

I have to say I was mightily impressed.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-renew-passport

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 13th, 2017, 7:48 am

A bit late for me now but that is impressive CK. That is what modern technology is supposed to do of course but so often does not seem to. BTW the new passport arrived after a couple of weeks, and a message on my mobile to say it was on its way. The Passport Office seems to have got its act together.

Dod

Return to “Bitter Lemons”