Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Smug Hipster Git Car Adverts

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
I8UButler

Smug Hipster Git Car Adverts

Postby I8UButler » November 22nd, 2017, 1:24 pm

The number of new car ads on TV featuring beardy hipster gits smiling smugly behind the wheel of some stupid car pressing stupid buttons smiling to themselves with ever increasing smugness is making me grumpy (or should that be "bitter", now? I prefer "grumpy" though). The latest one is for the Golf.

Which now seems to be electric or something.

Come to think of it beardy hipster gits with their flat lattes*, man bags and ridiculous trousers make me grumpy in general even if they are not in adverts for stupid cars.

And what happened to the Mini? They now seem to be the size of Transit vans.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Re: Smug Hipster Git Car Adverts

Postby staffordian » November 22nd, 2017, 2:53 pm

I8UButler wrote:And what happened to the Mini? They now seem to be the size of Transit vans.

Very true.

I think the Mini is a poor example as the only thing it shares with the original is the name.

But it's really noticeable in cars with a longish history like the VW Golf. It was a replacement for the beetle when first introduced, and was the smallest car in their (then rather limited) range.

Then it got lardy so a smaller Polo was born, then they both got lardier still so the Up! (with stupid exclamation mark) followed.

Presumably they will continue the process until the Golf is the size of a bus...

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 22nd, 2017, 3:49 pm

staffordian wrote:ill so the Up! (with stupid exclamation mark) followed.

Presumably they will continue the process until the Golf is the size of a bus...

Then it will be the Gulf.

didds

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 22nd, 2017, 3:49 pm

staffordian wrote:ill so the Up! (with stupid exclamation mark) followed.

Then it will be the Gulf.

didds

I8UButler

Postby I8UButler » November 22nd, 2017, 4:08 pm

Is there an echo in here?

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » November 22nd, 2017, 5:32 pm

Is there an echo in here?

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Postby Maroochydore » November 22nd, 2017, 8:03 pm

staffordian wrote: so the Up! (with stupid exclamation mark) followed.

I think it may have been a joke but I thought they did a limited edition called Up! Yours but a quick look didn't find it.

They do apparently have an electric car called e.up! which should sell well in Yorkshire (but at a list price starting over £25 000, perhaps not).

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 23rd, 2017, 4:58 pm

Maroochydore wrote:They do apparently have an electric car called e.up! which should sell well in Yorkshire (but at a list price starting over £25 000, perhaps not).

This afternoon I found myself sitting behind an Aygo-go at the traffic lights. I'm sure Toyota could have come up with a better trim level name than "go" for its Aygo range, but presumably it didn't think it was worth the bother. So I spent two minutes wondering idly whether it would shake its neat little booty if I gave it a flash, but instead it stopped. And then wouldn't go. :roll: Ay ay ay.

My near-neighbour does somewhat better with her Smart car. Her husband bought her a matching chrome-plated sticker for the boot that tastefully amends the car's name badge by adding the word a r s e.

BJ

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » November 23rd, 2017, 6:40 pm

A quick look at electric car resale values explains precisely why one shouldnt buy one.

As for the so called Mini, thats what happens when you let the Germans style a car body.

Proper Minis any day...

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » November 23rd, 2017, 9:17 pm

staffordian wrote:But it's really noticeable in cars with a longish history like the VW Golf. It was a replacement for the beetle when first introduced, and was the smallest car in their (then rather limited) range.

Then it got lardy so a smaller Polo was born, then they both got lardier still so the Up! (with stupid exclamation mark) followed.

I quite agree. I had a Mk 1 GTI, which was a brilliant car. It weighed 790 kg and its engine put out a mighty 112 bhp.

The current Golf Mk 7.5 puts out more than twice as much power at 242 bhp, but it needs it - the compact little hatchback has now ballooned to weigh 1,386 kg, a weight increase of 75%!

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » November 23rd, 2017, 10:15 pm

I have a 1.4L polo, 10 years old but it gets me over the Pennines to Morrisons in Consett in no time. Sometimes I can see some frustrated drivers in a rear mirror as I am climbing the hill, slowly but surely.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 24th, 2017, 10:34 am

JMN2 wrote:I have a 1.4L polo, 10 years old but it gets me over the Pennines to Morrisons in Consett in no time. Sometimes I can see some frustrated drivers in a rear mirror as I am climbing the hill, slowly but surely.

Absolutely right. The Polo is old tech, but who cares? It's heavy and solid, and every mechanic knows how to fix it in the unlikely event of its breaking down. My wife's 2001 Polo could still match a Ferrari over a 200 mile distance of normal motoring (on normal roads), give or take a minute or two. But Jeremy Clarkson wouldn't tell you that (although James May might).

Good on yer. Experience has taught me to distrust the opinions of beard-wearers anyway. As any fule kno, the primary reason for sporting facial hair is to disguise your true feelings and opinions behind a camouflage of overgrown follicles. Gerry Adams, Che Guevara, Sigmund Freud. I wouldn't trust a single one of them.

BJ

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » November 24th, 2017, 12:44 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Good on yer. Experience has taught me to distrust the opinions of beard-wearers anyway. As any fule kno, the primary reason for sporting facial hair is to disguise your true feelings and opinions behind a camouflage of overgrown follicles. Gerry Adams, Che Guevara, Sigmund Freud. I wouldn't trust a single one of them.
BJ

My wife has never seen me without my beard in 26 years of marriage. I tell her that I'm devastatingly handsome underneath the beard, so it's best I keep it or else she will be spending all her time fighting off the local lasses.

--kiloran

I8UButler

Postby I8UButler » November 24th, 2017, 1:25 pm

Proper beards - OK. Smug hipster git beards - not OK.

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Postby Maroochydore » November 25th, 2017, 3:55 pm

I8UButler wrote:Proper beards - OK. Smug hipster git beards - not OK.

I know lots of hipsters, or perhaps I just know one and he gets around. I'm not sure, they all look the same to me. How does that sit with expressing one's individuality?

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » November 25th, 2017, 5:57 pm

I8UButler wrote:The number of new car ads on TV featuring beardy hipster gits smiling smugly behind the wheel of some stupid car pressing stupid buttons smiling to themselves with ever increasing smugness is making me grumpy

Simple solution, don't watch ads :twisted:

Slarti

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » November 25th, 2017, 7:43 pm

Maroochydore wrote:
I8UButler wrote:Proper beards - OK. Smug hipster git beards - not OK.

I know lots of hipsters, or perhaps I just know one and he gets around. I'm not sure, they all look the same to me. How does that sit with expressing one's individuality?

In a similar fashion as a tribal tattoo on one's neck. "Look at me, I am individual, I am special, I am different!". No, you're just a stupid idiot lowlife.

Moderator Message:
RS: Edited to remove disguised expletive

Return to “Bitter Lemons”