Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Hot seat

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Hot seat

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 21st, 2018, 12:59 am

Today for the first time I have sat in a car with heated seat.

Horrible.

I just hope that abomination doesn't start to appear on public transport.

panamagold
Lemon Slice

Re: Hot seat

Postby panamagold » January 21st, 2018, 9:36 am

Ugh, are you crazy? :shock: Best invention since sliced bread. Only this month Mrs p has taken delivery of a new BMW Mini Clubman and the seats have 3, yes that's 3, heat settings unlike the single one in my vehicle. Pure luxury and so soothing on the old 'farmers' during these cooler winter months.
Adds a whole new dimension to the term 'hot-bot' :)

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 21st, 2018, 10:20 am

Yep, I can't think of anything not to like about heated car seats. My Toyota comes with two settings, fairly fast and buttock-singeingly fast. Oh, and an off setting, of course, just for Uncle E. (And for the nine months of the year when there's no call for such things.)

Will we ever see heated seats on public transport? I imagine they're already standard equipment in some deep-frozen parts of the planet. Just as long as everyone's changed their underwear recently (hmmm, I've sat on some pretty iffy London Tube seats) :? , what's the problem?

BJ

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » January 21st, 2018, 3:04 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Today for the first time I have sat in a car with heated seat.

Horrible.

Used to be on our old slam door trains, years back, with heated pipes running under the seats and along the walls by your ankles, if you sat by the window.
That way you'd have a sweaty bum and burned ankles, while your head and torso froze in winter. Or it stayed turned on for a week or 2 longer than required and the whole carriage would be as hot as hell.

The advantage of a car with a heated seat is, you can turn it off. Other than to check that mine actually works, I've never turned them on in nearly 6 years.

Slarti

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » January 21st, 2018, 4:16 pm

I love the heated seats in OH's car. He didn't tell me about them so the first time he switched them on I thought, for a fleeting second, that I'd wet myself. :o I've decided that Aggie, my series one landrover, is for summer use only from now on.

R6

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 21st, 2018, 4:25 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:I love the heated seats in OH's car. He didn't tell me about them so the first time he switched them on I thought, for a fleeting second, that I'd wet myself. :o

LOL, my (female) neighbour said exactly the same thing. I believe we males would be less easily fooled. ;) I'd never had them before my present car, but in the rural winter they do have their advantages. The wife isn't nuts about having the latest in-car gizmos, but she's certainly taken to this one. The next time I'm car-hunting, they'll be up there alongside cruise control on my list of desirable features.

BJ

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 21st, 2018, 6:51 pm

Slarti wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Today for the first time I have sat in a car with heated seat.

Horrible.

Used to be on our old slam door trains, years back, with heated pipes running under the seats and along the walls by your ankles, if you sat by the window.
That way you'd have a sweaty bum and burned ankles, while your head and torso froze in winter. Or it stayed turned on for a week or 2 longer than required and the whole carriage would be as hot as hell.
Slarti

Heh. Rings a faint bell.

Yes, come to think of it, a lot of heating systems on public transport have been means of torture. Even some in modern times. Some of them come with a double whammy: the heater not only blasts you with hot, foul air, but also deprives you of legroom. And then there's the arms race, where opening windows for a bit of relief causes them to blast out all the more. :evil:

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » January 21st, 2018, 7:09 pm

You chaps and chapesses obviously have perfectly formed spines with pristine disks in the lumbar area.
Anyone like me with lower-back problems finds heated seats a blessing. The seat heating my Audi appears to extend up the back of the seat to cover the entire lumbar region. Bliss - and essential on a long journey!

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » January 22nd, 2018, 1:37 am

+1 for heated seats.

Mrs VRD's preferred temperature is about 6 degrees higher than mine. I will drive in a short-sleeved shirt whilst she is still wearing a coat. The heated seat option (combined with separate climate control) means she is warm whilst I am also comfortable on my side of the car.

Now she's used to it, I don't think we'd buy a car without heated seats.

VRD

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » January 22nd, 2018, 1:58 am

FredBloggs wrote:Truly a 21st century problem eh?

Nah. We had it in our 20th Century car too. :)

Return to “Bitter Lemons”