Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

8 Anti-Aging Vitamins and Nutrients That Actually Work

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

8 Anti-Aging Vitamins and Nutrients That Actually Work

Postby NomoneyNohoney » November 10th, 2022, 11:33 pm

https://scitechdaily.com/8-anti-aging-v ... rk-ranked/

Vitamins are sometimes overlooked in the fight against aging compared to the vast variety of creams and serums, but research shows that vitamins are a key part of slowing the aging process.

AWOL
Lemon Slice

Re: 8 Anti-Aging Vitamins and Nutrients That Actually Work

Postby AWOL » November 11th, 2022, 6:59 pm

Well as a one time biologist I have to say that the evidence says these articles are a load of testicles. It may be hackneyed but for almost everyone in the developed world vitamins just produce expensive urine. Here have a Cochrane systematic review:

https://www.cochrane.org/CD007176/LIVER ... s-diseases

..and the case against Vitamin A in particular now appears to be supported by evidence of a causal link https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10 ... 65911/full

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 11th, 2022, 7:18 pm

AWOL wrote:Well as a one time biologist I have to say that the evidence says these articles are a load of testicles. It may be hackneyed but for almost everyone in the developed world vitamins just produce expensive urine. Here have a Cochrane systematic review:

https://www.cochrane.org/CD007176/LIVER ... s-diseases

..and the case against Vitamin A in particular now appears to be supported by evidence of a causal link https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10 ... 65911/full

My doctor advises that I take a handful of vitamins or supplements. But each one is very narrowly defined and focused. He does not see much value in multi-vitamins and the like for the very reason you state - that if you live in the west and are reasonably well off, then your diet already provides the essential nutrients.

For the record he suggests:

Vitamin D, because we live in a sunless country
Red Yeast Rice - naturally reduces cholesterol levels
Omega-3/fish oils, for heart health.
Zinc and Turmeric, for healing and anti-inflammatory qualities.

Note that these are personal recommendations for me, and not generic recommendations. He might have recommended mega-doses of garlic but I already eat mountains of garlic anyway. :D

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » November 11th, 2022, 8:00 pm

Lootman wrote:Vitamin D, because we live in a sunless country

Indeed.

I use to take a multi-vit with minerals, but it was/is mostly for the iron and vitamin D.
Currently I'm eating enough fish that I don't feel the need for a supplement.

For those who don't know vitamin D deficiency was a problem in this country and the problem is returning.
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/rickets-and-osteomalacia/

There have been a number of studies about vitamin D and they ALWAYS seem to find that people who don't take care of themselves could do with more. The suggestion however is usually a lifestyle change rather than a supplement.

This is what the government have to say on the subject.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new- ... isparities

Around 1 in 6 adults and almost 20% of children in the UK have vitamin D levels lower than government recommendations. Older people, the housebound and people from Black and South Asian communities are more likely to have lower levels of the vital vitamin.

Current advice is for all adults and children to consider taking a daily 10 micrograms supplement of vitamin D between October and March. Some at-risk groups are advised to consider taking a supplement throughout the year.

As I said, I believe that my current diet is high in vitamin D.

AWOL
Lemon Slice

Postby AWOL » November 11th, 2022, 9:14 pm

I follow NHS Scotland guidelines and take vitamin D in winter. Other than that I don't take anything else as it is needless and may even be harmful. Fish oil I avoid over concern that [expletive deleted] and harmful metals may be present after a lecture in the 1980s. I have never paid any attention to the literature.

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » November 12th, 2022, 12:57 pm

I had a look at Scottish NHS advice and learned a few interesting things. The link is here https://www.nhsinform.scot/healthy-livi ... s#vitamins if you want to read the full version, but what I have learned is:-

There are 2 types of vitamins, fat-soluble and water-soluble.
Fat-soluble vitamins include:

vitamin A
vitamin D
vitamin E
vitamin K
You don't need to eat fat soluble vitamins every day to get enough of these vitamins. Every time you eat your body stores them in your liver and body fat for future use.

Water-soluble vitamins include:

vitamin C
B vitamins
folic acid
Unlike fat-soluble vitamins, you need to consume water-soluble vitamins more often. Your body can't store these for future use and gets rid of any excess when you pass urine.

The opening post of this chain related to 'Anti-Aging Vitamins and Nutrients That Actually Work' but a lot of these are like adverts for skin-care items that "...reduce the signs of aging...", something that is subjective and rarely measurable. Whilst even more interesting (to me) the postings have meandered away from 'what anti aging vitamins work?' towards 'how effective are orally administered vitamins?' Based on learning about water-soluble vitamins, I can see how a poor diet can affect a person's well-being, if the vitamins mentioned (C/B/FolicAcid) aren't stored, then I understand now the need for boosting. We live and learn.

AWOL
Lemon Slice

Postby AWOL » November 12th, 2022, 7:04 pm

NomoneyNohoney wrote:' Based on learning about water-soluble vitamins, I can see how a poor diet can affect a person's well-being, if the vitamins mentioned (C/B/FolicAcid) aren't stored, then I understand now the need for boosting. We live and learn.

The water soluble vitamins may not be stored and are therefore harder to overdose with but the point of my post is that the evidence says for people who don't have a relevant disease taking vitamins is at best pointless and at worst harmful. Most people have no need to boost and those that do need to be mindful of dose from all sources. Even vitamin D can be toxic.

You touch in another subject which is "anti-oxidants". The supplement industry and the magazines and newspapers that live their advertising spend love to print articles on antioxidants. However the implication that dietary antioxidants are good for you and taking more is therefore better is tosh.

In fact your body uses free radicals to fight infection. Antioxidants also interfere with cancer treatment. Your body manages it's own level of oxidation perfectly well and the evidence shows does not support consuming vitamins/antioxidants.

If your doctor prescribes a vitamin for a disease state then take it but ill-informed self medication isn't a good idea. The $5bn vitamin industry would like one to believe that a vitamin fixes dietary holes. It doesn't. That's before we even consider bio-availability and a host if other topics.

Just in case you think this implies that I think super-foods are the answer, that's just another load of snake oil. Just eat some fruit and veg in your diet and avoid or minimise alcohol, nicotine and other recreational drugs.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » November 12th, 2022, 9:58 pm

I take collagen, and glucosamine sulphate - both for my joints, I have osteoarthritis and my feet are very sore if I forget to take them for three days.

I also take vitamins D and a B complex. Both by oral spray which is more bio available.

I have an excellent diet compared to the general population, not that I think it's a useful comparison! But I think it's very hard to cover everything you need unless you eat a ton of stuff every day. But the article reminded me that my 8 Brazil nuts a day habit has slipped so I need to reinstate that!

Mel

Return to “Curiosity Corner”