Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

A Forest in a football stadium - a vision of the future?

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

A Forest in a football stadium - a vision of the future?

Postby Breelander » September 11th, 2019, 2:51 pm

An Austrian football stadium has been transformed into a native central European forest....
...It was inspired by a dystopian image of a world where nature could only be seen in designated spaces, like animals in zoos.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-49640345

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: A Forest in a football stadium - a vision of the future?

Postby bungeejumper » September 11th, 2019, 6:31 pm

"
They took all the trees
And put 'em in a tree museum
And they charged the people
A dollar and a half just to see 'em"

Joni Mitchell, of course. So you dig up 300 trees and turn them into something that nature never intended them to be, and shine floodlights on them day and night, and then after seven weeks you uproot them all and replant them in a "natural" environment so that the footballers can have their pitch back?

And there was I, thinking that the carefully-coiffed "natural" display gardens at Chelsea were a bit dodgy? :lol:

BJ

"

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » September 11th, 2019, 6:58 pm

bungeejumper wrote:And there was I, thinking that the carefully-coiffed "natural" display gardens at Chelsea were a bit dodgy? :lol:

You'd be surprised, there is 'life after Chelsea' for many of them, either in whole or in part :D

https://www.housebeautiful.com/uk/garde ... elocating/

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » September 11th, 2019, 7:22 pm

Point taken, Bree, a short life as a museum exhibit doesn't need to spell death for a wild plant if it's responsibly re-homed after the event. But I'm still puzzled by the concept:
...It was inspired by a dystopian image of a world where nature could only be seen in designated spaces, like animals in zoos.

So let me see. You take your 300 trees, and you charge the people a dollar and a half to see them, and then you say to them: "Listen, my people, what you are witnessing is actually a mere travesty of the great woodland outdoors that you could see for yourselves if you could only be [expletive deleted] to get into your cars and go and visit them. Pretty, aren't they? But it's still ugly that we're locking them up like animals."

It's better than nothing, I suppose. When I taught in Birmingham in the seventies, there were kids who thought it was pretty revolting that milk came from cows. Their mothers had told them that it was all made in milk factories. But I'd have thought the land of Sound of Music would have a healthier and more direct relationship with its natural heritage?

BJ

Return to “Curiosity Corner”