Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Fine

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Fine

Postby NomoneyNohoney » January 28th, 2017, 12:53 am

I was reading the article linked here, http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ex-kbr-chie ... a-bribery/ regarding KBR getting sentenced for bribery, and I was particularly struck by the following:
"Tesler, 63, a dual citizen of Britain and Israel, also agreed to forfeit nearly $149 million from accounts in 12 Swiss banks and four from Israel. Prosecutors said the money was traceable proceeds from the bribery." I find that incredible - that one man made restitution of $149 million.

That got me thinking - what is the largest fine ever imposed on a person?
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-large ... gle-person
Well - spoiler! - they say 4.9 billion dollars
I still reckon actual restitution of $149 million must be up there...

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Fine

Postby bungeejumper » January 28th, 2017, 11:00 am

Hmmm, maybe. The way I read it, the $149 million wasn't a fine - it was just the recovery of 'stolen property' (i.e. the proceeds of the bribe), which he had never rightly owned anyway. His actual punishment was a jail term.

And the situation gets even more complicated with his friend Jack Stanley, who appears to have defrauded his former employer KBR (and others) of $10.8 million, which he has largely repaid. (And also got a prison sentence.) That would have made KBR the victim! Except that KBR's own hands clearly weren't clean - the fact that it had also been required to hand over $1.7 billion (fines and restitution) in respect of kickbacks from a $6 billion Nigerian deal.

Err, at least, that's my understanding of the article, which isn't exactly clear in places. But generally, I guess that's what happens when you go swimming with sharks - sooner or later, they devour each other?

BJ

Return to “Curiosity Corner”