Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

The Riot of Bamber Bridge (1943)

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

The Riot of Bamber Bridge (1943)

Postby NomoneyNohoney » October 31st, 2022, 5:07 pm

https://www.blackpast.org/global-africa ... idge-1943/

The US Armed Forces were segregated until President Harry Truman issued Executive Order 9981 on July 26, 1948 which desegregated all the military service branches. That segregation during World War II helped create the Riot of Bamber Bridge in Great Britain in 1943.

scottnsilky
Lemon Slice

Re: The Riot of Bamber Bridge (1943)

Postby scottnsilky » November 1st, 2022, 4:57 pm

Oh, that's brilliant, the idea of a segregated pub, black only really puts those rednecks in their place. Bamber Bridge is not far from me, I could take a look at the pub. If they now allow whites in, a pint might be in order.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 1st, 2022, 6:24 pm

scottnsilky wrote:Oh, that's brilliant, the idea of a segregated pub, black only really puts those rednecks in their place. Bamber Bridge is not far from me, I could take a look at the pub. If they now allow whites in, a pint might be in order.

In my first job after graduating, I found segregated pubs in Peckham. Stick my nose into one, it's all black: I didn't intrude on them beyond a look in from the doorway. Another, all white: I didn't intrude on them either, it seemed too depressing.

That was 1983.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » November 2nd, 2022, 9:43 am

And - despite Coronation Street (with Ena Sharples in the 'Snug') - some pubs wouldn't serve women even when the law was amended to ban this.
One well-known one in Derby (in Irongate I think - I used to live not far from there) had this writ large on the outside door of one of its bars.
I think they thrived on being contentious.
Anyone else in that locality remember this?

It was also very common for ladies not to be served or stand at the bar - it was 'unladylike', but was possibly to deter 'working ladies' who would otherwise use the bar to solicit custom.

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » November 2nd, 2022, 2:58 pm

scottnsilky wrote:Oh, that's brilliant, the idea of a segregated pub, black only really puts those rednecks in their place. Bamber Bridge is not far from me, I could take a look at the pub. If they now allow whites in, a pint might be in order.

Even better, your justification is that you are doing research on an internet topic. Win win! Do report back if this happens.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » November 3rd, 2022, 5:04 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:

In my first job after graduating, I found segregated pubs in Peckham. Stick my nose into one, it's all black: I didn't intrude on them beyond a look in from the doorway. Another, all white: I didn't intrude on them either, it seemed too depressing.

That was 1983.

The "No Colours" signs outside the more salubrious Glasgow establishments quietly confused an American friend of mine.

It took him a few pints to pluck up the courage to ask me about it, whereupon I explained it was a football thing: and why a St Mirren top didn't count

Return to “Curiosity Corner”