Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

When did "we" start wearing clothes?

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

When did "we" start wearing clothes?

Postby NomoneyNohoney » April 26th, 2023, 11:02 pm

https://www.sapiens.org/archaeology/pal ... g-origins/

An archaeologist uses climate data and tailoring tools to trace the invention and evolution of apparel in the world's colder climates.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Re: When did "we" start wearing clothes?

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » April 26th, 2023, 11:08 pm

NomoneyNohoney wrote:https://www.sapiens.org/archaeology/paleolithic-clothing-origins/

An archaeologist uses climate data and tailoring tools to trace the invention and evolution of apparel in the world's colder climates.

I think I may have been about two years old when I started wearing clothes :roll: . As Mum wanted a girl ... :oops:

AiY(D)

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » April 26th, 2023, 11:45 pm

AiY - Could have been worse...

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » April 27th, 2023, 7:14 am

NomoneyNohoney wrote:https://www.sapiens.org/archaeology/paleolithic-clothing-origins/

An interesting concept, but science or speculation?

We don't have to travel back to the paleolithic to find human cultures where "clothing" was not used to protect from the elements.
Tierra del Fuego or "land of fire" is so named because of all the small fires seen by passing sailing ships. Why? Well you see the people there didn't keep warm by wearing clothes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahgan_people

Despite the cold climate, the early Yahgan wore little to no clothing, which only changed after extended contact with Europeans.

Apparently they even had fires in their boats to keep warm.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » April 27th, 2023, 7:58 am

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:

I think I may have been about two years old when I started wearing clothes :roll: . As Mum wanted a girl ... :oops:

AiY(D)

We were so poor when I was growing up that my parents couldn't afford to clothe me until I was 6.
Then they bought me a hat so I could look out of the window.

Paul

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » April 27th, 2023, 8:25 am

Urbandreamer wrote:
Despite the cold climate, the early Yahgan wore little to no clothing, which only changed after extended contact with Europeans.

I believe that "The Geordie" are direct descendants. Obviously.. wearing little to no clothing and hence the importance of the song " when the boat comes in"...they were clearly worried about the dangers of fires on board a wooden boat!

;)

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » April 27th, 2023, 12:50 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:

An interesting concept, but science or speculation?

We don't have to travel back to the paleolithic to find human cultures where "clothing" was not used to protect from the elements.
Tierra del Fuego or "land of fire" is so named because of all the small fires seen by passing sailing ships. Why? Well you see the people there didn't keep warm by wearing clothes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahgan_people

I'm sure they must have seen other mammals and birds running around. Unless they were vegetarian, they surely hunted animals, but wouldn't have eaten the skin. I guess they had knives. The fact that nobody put two and two together is rather worrying. :?

Steve

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » April 27th, 2023, 1:00 pm

Maybe their arithmetical skills weren't yet developed?

rs631

Postby rs631 » November 20th, 2023, 10:37 am

Ses recherches ont-elles permis de démontrer le type de vêtements (sarouel homme, pull,...) fut inventé en premier dans les zones froides de la planète ?

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » November 20th, 2023, 11:37 am

rs631 wrote:

Ses recherches ont-elles permis de démontrer le type de vêtements (sarouel homme, pull,...) fut inventé en premier dans
les zones froides de la planète ?

I believe that woolly mammoths wore furry trousers, although it might be stretching a point to say that they were the inventors.

V8

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 20th, 2023, 3:41 pm

When I was in Northern Australia I was told by an aborigine that they take off their clothes when it rains, and put them somewhere dry. Once it stops raining they can quickly dry off their skin and then put their clothes back on.

Probably helps that they have a warm climate

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » November 20th, 2023, 5:52 pm

Lootman wrote:When I was in Northern Australia I was told by an aborigine that they take off their clothes when it rains, and put them somewhere dry. Once it stops raining they can quickly dry off their skin and then put their clothes back on.

Probably helps that they have a warm climate

Not much use in west-central Scotland. And I'd probably get arrested! And taken to hospital for hypothermia.

--kiloran

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » November 25th, 2023, 7:49 pm

DrFfybes wrote:We were so poor when I was growing up that my parents couldn't afford to clothe me until I was 6.
Then they bought me a hat so I could look out of the window.

Little known fact: before WW1, boys from poor backgrounds in rural areas would routinely wear their sisters' cast off dresses and pinafores - even to school, and it was not thought unusual or a target for name-calling.
(Whether Lark Rise's Flora Thompson ever described this, I don't know, but I would be surprised if it wasn't common in rural Oxfordshire where she lived)

Return to “Curiosity Corner”