Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

When did we start cleaning our teeth?

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

When did we start cleaning our teeth?

Postby Arborbridge » November 20th, 2023, 12:30 pm

Sparked by the previous post about when we started wearing clothes, I have been meaning to ask this one for a while.

As far as I know, human are the only creatures that find it desirable or necessary to clean their teeth. Why, and when might we have come to this conclusion? If other animals didn't need to, why did we?

Arb.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: When did we start cleaning our teeth?

Postby mc2fool » November 20th, 2023, 2:19 pm

Arborbridge wrote:Sparked by the previous post about when we started wearing clothes, I have been meaning to ask this one for a while.

As far as I know, human are the only creatures that find it desirable or necessary to clean their teeth. Why, and when might we have come to this conclusion? If other animals didn't need to, why did we?

Arb.

Well, wild animals do clean their teeth, they just don't do it with Colgate and tooth brushes. ;) And it's also a lot less necessary for them.

"A major reason why wild animals don’t need professional dental care is their diets. Many animals spend a lot of time chewing their food, much of it rich in fiber, which cleans their teeth at the same time. Animals also chew on sticks, barks, bones, and grass to help clean their teeth after big meals. Since animal diets don’t contain acids or refined sugars, they don’t need to worry about plaque and cavities like we do! Human diets are more carbohydrate-rich, leading to plaque that can turn into cavities and decay if left untreated." https://www.parksidedentist.com/blog/animals-teeth-complications/

As for when we started, according to https://www.tompkinsdental.com/blog/if-our-ancestors-didnt-need-to-brush-their-teeth-why-do-we:

"The first toothbrush was likely developed around 3000 BCE. This was a frayed twig developed by the Babylonians and the Egyptians. Other sources have found that around 1600 BCE, the Chinese created sticks from aromatic trees’ twigs to help freshen their breath."

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » November 20th, 2023, 3:14 pm

mc2fool wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:Sparked by the previous post about when we started wearing clothes, I have been meaning to ask this one for a while.

Arb.

Well, wild animals do clean their teeth, they just don't do it with Colgate and tooth brushes. ;) And it's also a lot less necessary for them.

Well, thanks mc2fool - I might have known you would dig up something quickly :)

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 20th, 2023, 3:36 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
mc2fool wrote:Well, wild animals do clean their teeth, they just don't do it with Colgate and tooth brushes. ;) And it's also a lot less necessary for them.

Well, thanks mc2fool - I might have known you would dig up something quickly :)

Way back when I had orthodontics, my dentist told me that it was a good idea not just because of appearance but also that properly aligned teeth are to some extent self-cleaning. Or at least can be with the right diet. And of course straight teeth are easier to clean by conventional means, albeit nooks and crannies.

That said I am fanatical about dental hygiene, ever since I had gum surgery decades ago. No point in having perfect teeth if your gums rot.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » November 25th, 2023, 8:01 pm

Surprisingly perhaps, soot has been used for ages to get nice white teeth.
Doesn't taste (I've tried it!) as refreshing as Colgate but works. Whether it is carcinogenic I have no idea, but beauty never came cheap.
And some of the teeth-whitening packs on sale in pharmacies at an exorbitant price contain charcoal

Return to “Curiosity Corner”