Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Larghissimo...

XFool
The full Lemon

Larghissimo...

Postby XFool » February 6th, 2024, 10:20 am

John Cage: Organ playing 639-year-long piece changes chord

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-68209691

The longest - and slowest - music composition in existence had a big day on Monday - it changed chord for the first time in two years.

"Crowds gathered at a church in Germany to witness the rare moment, which is part of an artistic feat by avant-garde composer, John Cage.

The experimental piece, entitled As Slow as Possible, began in 2001.

Being played on a specially-built organ, it is not set to finish playing until the year 2640.
"

XFool
The full Lemon

Re: Larghissimo...

Postby XFool » February 6th, 2024, 10:32 am

...Have to say there are at least a couple of really irritating (but now typical) errors in the writing of the above article:

"Volunteers added another pipe into the mechanical organ to create the new sound, at the Burchardi Church in the German town of Halberstadt."

- As opposed to: "to"

"For practical reasons, the mechanical organ was designed, using an electronic wind machine to push air into the pipes"

- As opposed to "electric". Sadly, it has become contemporary argot to use "electronic" when what is meant is "electric".

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » February 6th, 2024, 11:52 am

XFool wrote:...Have to say there are at least a couple of really irritating (but now typical) errors in the writing of the above article:

"Volunteers added another pipe into the mechanical organ to create the new sound, at the Burchardi Church in the German town of Halberstadt."

"For practical reasons, the mechanical organ was designed, using an electronic wind machine to push air into the pipes"

- As opposed to "electric". Sadly, it has become contemporary argot to use "electronic" when what is meant is "electric".

Ok.
Please explain why this case runs foul of your logic ;)
(bonus points if you can do it in 4mins 33sec)

I've not seen the schematics myself... but I'm going to have a look when I can (as it's this stuff that got me in to E&EE in the first place)... if they turn out to have no electronics I'll be back

(Two of the less musical facts I seem to have lodged in my brain from researching Cage at uni:
Did you know he was an avid mycologist? Or that his dad developed a one man submarine? )

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » February 6th, 2024, 1:24 pm

servodude wrote:
XFool wrote:...Have to say there are at least a couple of really irritating (but now typical) errors in the writing of the above article:

Ok.
Please explain why this case runs foul of your logic ;)
(bonus points if you can do it in 4mins 33sec)

I don't know about "logic", or indeed grammar, but "added into" just sounds plain wrong to me. "introduced into" would sound OK, as would the entirely normal "added to". But "added into" sounds like the contemporary style of: "the train arrived into the railway platform" (as opposed to the traditional "arrived at") which always sounds like a serious railway accident to me.

I wonder if this is a generalisation of what I like to call "back" syndrome? Incorrect use of redundant words to seemingly embroider the language?

Maybe I'll return back to this topic another time? :roll:

The use of "electronic", for electrical, has sadly become pretty well normalised nowadays - it still irritates me every time I see it. Why? Because it's wrong!

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » February 6th, 2024, 8:29 pm

XFool wrote:The use of "electronic", for electrical, has sadly become pretty well normalised nowadays - it still irritates me every time I see it. Why? Because it's wrong!

I don't disagree... but...
How do you know it's wrong here?
What makes you so confident that the wind machine contains no electronics?

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » February 6th, 2024, 8:49 pm

servodude wrote:
XFool wrote:The use of "electronic", for electrical, has sadly become pretty well normalised nowadays - it still irritates me every time I see it. Why? Because it's wrong!

I don't disagree... but...

It's a wind machine, however much electronics it contains. How do you produce wind with electronics?

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » February 6th, 2024, 9:31 pm

XFool wrote:
servodude wrote:I don't disagree... but...

It's a wind machine, however much electronics it contains. How do you produce wind with electronics?

How do I produce wind with electronics? Much more accurately than without :)

By the "however much" logic you've presented there is no difference between a pedestal fan, or hair drier, and a non-invasive ventilator or CPAP?
Or keeping with the musical theme a pipe organ, or moog, or fairlight?

I lean the other way and consider it normally appropriate to use "electronic" to distinguish between devices based on their use of "electronics"
- but even within that there are fringe cases (normally based on scope or audience expectation)

Anyways... in this case I think you are right, or specifically, they're presently using a compressor to fill huge bellows that are being used to regulate the flow to the organ (which should give them a window to swap it when it fails)
I also found it interesting that the necessary keys are being kept depressed by sand bags so that changes are made by installing or removing pipes

catchy piece too
- might need some drums to reach a bigger audience :)

Return to “Curiosity Corner”