Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Volume, or Amount of Gold Ever Mined

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Volume, or Amount of Gold Ever Mined

Postby JMN2 » June 20th, 2017, 3:26 pm

I remember in the very early 00's there was an article written by an HSBC gold bullion chap - apparently all the gold then ever mined would have fit (is my grammar proper?) in a double decker bus.

This nugget came to my mind as I was preparing myself for the Brexit armageddon.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Re: Volume, or Amount of Gold Ever Mined

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 20th, 2017, 3:35 pm

Warren Buffet mentioned something about the total amount in one of his annual reports (edit : 2011)

Edit again with link;
http://www.nasdaq.com/article/why-warre ... d-cm267928
"Today the world's gold stock is about 170,000 metric tons. If all of this gold were melded together, it would form a cube of about 68 feet per side. (Picture it fitting comfortably within a baseball infield.)"

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 21st, 2017, 2:59 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:"Today the world's gold stock is about 170,000 metric tons. If all of this gold were melded together, it would form a cube of about 68 feet per side. (Picture it fitting comfortably within a baseball infield.)"

I've heard that that might be the figure for all the gold ever mined - this source has a try at doing the maths. https://www.forbes.com/sites/afontevecc ... 0b04be69f1 . And anyway, as a Brit I have no concept of how big a baseball infield is. Is it smaller than Donald Trump's lift?

Actually, what bothers me these days is the amount of gold that exists in virtual form only. There are going to be some disappointed people around if the synthetic ETFs ever have to deliver the goods. :twisted:

"Let's Get Physical" BJ ;)

CommissarJones
Lemon Slice

Postby CommissarJones » June 21st, 2017, 9:29 pm

bungeejumper wrote:And anyway, as a Brit I have no concept of how big a baseball infield is.

Here you go. I assume Buffett is referring only to the portion of the infield that's covered by grass, i.e. the area enclosed by the three bases and home plate (the five-sided white shape between the batter's boxes), which form a square measuring 90 feet on each side. So excluding the brown area of the diagram labeled "infield (dirt)," in other words.

Can't be of any help re Trump's lift, I'm afraid.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 21st, 2017, 10:45 pm

Must be an American standard unit - cf the British ones;

Area: Football pitch, Wales
Volume(liquid): Olympic size swimming pool, St Paul's Cathedral
Volume (solid): Double decker bus
Height: Nelson's Column, Snowdon, Everest
Distance: Gnat's whisker, arm's length, the sun, Alpha Centauri,

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 24th, 2017, 12:17 pm

bungeejumper wrote:There are going to be some disappointed people around if the synthetic ETFs ever have to deliver the goods. :twisted:

Never mind such esoterica. Have you ever tried taking a banknote to the Chief Cashier (or any minion) and demanding they make good on the promise to the bearer?

Return to “Curiosity Corner”