Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

A Music Quiz

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

A Music Quiz

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » February 18th, 2021, 11:53 pm

I've made this up tonight - huge apologies, caveats and the like

Q. A 1960/70’s glam rock band from Wolverhampton that skated on thin ice (Name the group)
A.

Q. These birds were all loved up in temporary accommodation (Name the group and the song)
A.

Q. This Vehicle could also sing. Glam rock’s most famous female. You’ll need a tin opener. (Name the singer and the song)
A.

Q. Five African Americans storm the charts 63 years ago. I’m crying. (Name the group and the song)
A.

Q. Three hot African Americans with a different dimension. Throwing the towel in. Name the Group. Name the song. Name the Album.
A.

Q. A monumental structure described by a duo. Name the song. Name the duo.
A.

Q. Five lonely men. Not singing. Name the group and the song
A.

Q. A colourful band building dissent. Name the group and the song
A.

Q. A troubled, even bad situation as this group pay homage to the King’s music. Name the group and the song
A.

Q. A jumpy Australian with no light to jive
A.

Please respect anyone who wants to join in and put spoilers in your replies. Thank you

Hope you find it enjoyable

AiY

malkymoo
Lemon Slice

Re: A Music Quiz

Postby malkymoo » February 20th, 2021, 12:21 pm

I have been racking my brains but can only come up with 2 (or maybe 3)

spoiler

Q. A 1960/70’s glam rock band from Wolverhampton that skated on thin ice (Name the group)
A. Slade were from Wolverhampton, don't know where the thin ice comes in

Q. This Vehicle could also sing. Glam rock’s most famous female. You’ll need a tin opener. (Name the singer and the song)
A. Suzi Quatro, Can the Can
Lita Ford a bit of a red herring!

A. 59th Street Bridge Song, Simon and Garfunkel

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » February 20th, 2021, 12:31 pm

malkymoo wrote:I have been racking my brains but can only come up with 2 (or maybe 3)

spoiler (with reply AiY)

A. Slade were from Wolverhampton, don't know where the thin ice comes in. I suppose you have to know the accent of the area as Slade sounds more like "Slide" - hence skating on thin ice

A. Suzi Quatro, Can the Can - Yes good old Suzie. Never took herself too seriously and seems a genuinely kind person
Lita Ford a bit of a red herring! - Yes, the tin opener doesn't work (I think ) for Lita.

A. 59th Street Bridge Song, Simon and Garfunkel - well not quite. It is Simon & Garfunkel yes, but I was thinking more about a slightly bigger song for them. Bridge over troubled water.

AiY

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » February 20th, 2021, 12:38 pm

One answer below - spoiler

Q. These birds were all loved up in temporary accommodation (Name the group and the song)
A. "Birds" = Housemartins. "Temporary accommodation" = Caravan. "Loved Up" = of Love

AiY

malkymoo
Lemon Slice

Postby malkymoo » February 20th, 2021, 2:00 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
malkymoo wrote:I have been racking my brains but can only come up with 2 (or maybe 3)

spoiler (with reply AiY)(and further comment from mm)

A. 59th Street Bridge Song, Simon and Garfunkel - well not quite. It is Simon & Garfunkel yes, but I was thinking more about a slightly bigger song for them. Bridge over troubled water.

Well Bridge over Troubled Water may have been what you were thinking of, but 59th Street Bridge might be an equally appropriate answer. It is definitely monumental - look up Queensboro Bridge, whereas the Bridge over troubled water could be any sort of bridge, a rope bridge perhaps.

But hey, your quiz, your answers, you decide!

modellingman
Lemon Slice

Postby modellingman » February 21st, 2021, 12:52 pm

Q. Five African Americans storm the charts 63 years ago. I’m crying. (Name the group and the song)
A. The Platters. Smoke gets in your eyes.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » February 21st, 2021, 12:57 pm

modellingman wrote:Q. Five African Americans storm the charts 63 years ago. I’m crying. (Name the group and the song)

Correct - I thought that was a hard one

AiY

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » February 21st, 2021, 2:06 pm

Q. 3 hot Americans in different dimensions

A. Three Degrees, track Givin' up giving in - Record - New Dimensions

Suzi and Slade were easy enough,
the colourful one I thought Rainbow then Deep Purple but none of their songs I can think of fit the clue.
Pink Floyd's another brick in the wall?
For the platters I thought Frankie Lymon & the teenagers right number and dates but again couldn't get a track

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » February 21st, 2021, 4:39 pm

kempiejon wrote:Q. 3 hot Americans in different dimensions - AiY responses below

A. Three Degrees, track Givin' up giving in - Record - New Dimensions -(AiY response Yup. Spot on)

Suzi and Slade were easy enough,
the colourful one I thought Rainbow then Deep Purple but none of their songs I can think of fit the clue.
Pink Floyd's another brick in the wall? - (AiY response - Yup, well done, I thought I might have been a bit mean with that clue)
For the platters I thought Frankie Lymon & the teenagers right number and dates but again couldn't get a track (AiY response - I was surprised that one went so quickly)

modellingman
Lemon Slice

Postby modellingman » February 21st, 2021, 6:31 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
modellingman wrote:Q. Five African Americans storm the charts 63 years ago. I’m crying. (Name the group and the song)

Correct - I thought that was a hard one
answer
AiY

There's a reason mobile phone use (effectively Google search) is banned from every pub quiz I have ever been to in the past 10 years or so.

[color=#BFFFFF]
Once I located http://www.uk-charts.top-source.info/1952-to-1959.shtml and looked at the relevant years, the answer was obvious fairly quickly. Some of your other clues have been a bit more cryptic. Three degrees question was similar, just required searching their Wikipedia entry.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » February 22nd, 2021, 9:12 pm

Spoiler
Q. Name this 1970’s glam rock band from Wolverhampton that skated on thin ice (Name the group)
A. Slide (Slade). You’ll never get it if you haven’t heard the brummies’ accent.

A. The Housemartins – Caravan of Love

A. Suzi Quatro – Can the Can

A. The Platters. Smoke Gets in Your Eyes

Q. Three hot African Americans with a different dimension. Throwing the towel in. Name the Group. Name the song. Name the Album.
A. The Three Degrees. Givin’ Up, Givin’ In. New Dimensions.

A. Bridge Over Troubled Water. Simon & Garfunkel

Q. Five lonely men. Not singing. Name the group and the song
A. Boyzone. Words

Q. A colourful band building dissent. Name the group and the song
A. Pink Floyd. The Wall

Q. A troubled, even bad situation as this group pay homage to the King’s music. Name the group and the song
A. Dire Straits. Sultans of Swing

Q. A jumpy Australian with no light to jive
A. Bruce Springsteen. Dancing in the Dark

Thank you

AiY

Return to “Games, Puzzles and Riddles”