Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Mystery Items Redux

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Mystery Items Redux

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 1st, 2017, 11:53 am

Is 8 a large 'photo of a small object?

Looks like the thingummy you might put on the end of a brake or gear cable to prevent sharp ends catching in things or fraying.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » October 1st, 2017, 12:00 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Is 8 a large 'photo of a small object?

Looks like the thingummy you might put on the end of a brake or gear cable to prevent sharp ends catching in things or fraying.

Agreed, I think it's a cable-end for a bike cable.

You can see an example here on the right hand side of the picture below -

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB12VyRLpXX ... font-b.jpg

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » October 1st, 2017, 12:03 pm

Gengulphus wrote:
kiloran wrote:
jfgw wrote:No. 8 looks like a bearing of some sort. The shiny bevel looks a bit puzzling. It appears to have been bashed and repaired with silver solder or braze. I have seen similar plastic fittings on fridge doors which made me think of a bearing.

8 looks like the bit on the end of 10

It could be a bicycle cable end - if so, it would be quite small and the top end would be closed (whereas the end of the noodle is open to let the cable through to the brake mechanism). And the 'bashed" appearance would make sense for something that is cheaply manufactured and intended to be deformed anyway in normal use (by crimping on to the end of the cable).

Unfortunately, with no indication of scale and the top end out of focus, I reckon it's impossible to confirm that guess from the picture...

Gengulphus

Correct it is a cable end, made of soft alloy and designed to be crimped on the end of a cut cable to stop the strands unravelling. It was deliberately photographed to disguise the scale to try to fool the clever Fools here...

That's it, these were the contents of my "man drawer" in the kitchen. A bit too easy...I will look further afield!

John

malkymoo
Lemon Slice

Postby malkymoo » October 1st, 2017, 5:11 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
Correct it is a cable end, made of soft alloy and designed to be crimped on the end of a cut cable to stop the strands unravelling. It was deliberately photographed to disguise the scale to try to fool the clever Fools here...

John

I think these are known as ferrules

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » October 1st, 2017, 5:44 pm

malkymoo wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:Correct it is a cable end, made of soft alloy and designed to be crimped on the end of a cut cable to stop the strands unravelling. It was deliberately photographed to disguise the scale to try to fool the clever Fools here...

I think these are known as ferrules

Also known as ferrules, I agree. For example, searching on Amazon for either "cable end" or "ferrule" finds plenty of listings - though "ferrule" also finds a lot of the rubber walking stick tips that are another meaning of the term.

Gengulphus

StepOne
Lemon Slice

Postby StepOne » October 4th, 2017, 9:30 am

Going a bit off topic, but I thought the ferrules were the caps that went on the end of brake OUTER cable once they have been cut, and through which the inner cable travels. The ferrule is the bit that is slotted in to the metal guides that are soldered on to the bike frame.

e.g. https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl= ... mrc&uact=8

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » October 4th, 2017, 12:40 pm

StepOne wrote:Going a bit off topic, but I thought the ferrules were the caps that went on the end of brake OUTER cable once they have been cut, and through which the inner cable travels. The ferrule is the bit that is slotted in to the metal guides that are soldered on to the bike frame.

On further checking, I think you're right about the proper terms - "cable ends" and "ferrules" for the bits to terminate the inner and outer cables respectively. But cable ends are sometimes known as "ferrules", even if mistakenly - often enough for cable ends to have shown up in a search for "ferrules" on Amazon, for example.

Gengulphus

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » October 4th, 2017, 4:26 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
Nicely spotted the "Le Creuset" but PD got it spot on...clearly a champagne sort of fellow.

John

I'll take that as a compliment. ;)

I recognised the thing immediately but, as before, I didn't know the technical term for it. One of ours is also Le Creuset and was/is part of their Screwpull range.

Apparently it is a Sparkling Wine Crown Stopper, a snip at £30 before p&p and you can get a box with it:

https://www.lecreuset.co.uk/sw101-crown ... ne-stopper

Before anyone asks, it doesn't get much use.

However, there must be a saying along the lines of "An open bottle gathers no moss" or something similar.

Any suggestions?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 4th, 2017, 6:20 pm

PinkDalek wrote:However, there must be a saying along the lines of "An open bottle gathers no moss" or something similar.

Any suggestions?

Suggestions?

Your very good health. Cheers!

malkymoo
Lemon Slice

Postby malkymoo » October 5th, 2017, 10:59 am

Gengulphus wrote:
StepOne wrote:Going a bit off topic, but I thought the ferrules were the caps that went on the end of brake OUTER cable once they have been cut, and through which the inner cable travels. The ferrule is the bit that is slotted in to the metal guides that are soldered on to the bike frame.

On further checking, I think you're right about the proper terms - "cable ends" and "ferrules" for the bits to terminate the inner and outer cables respectively. But cable ends are sometimes known as "ferrules", even if mistakenly - often enough for cable ends to have shown up in a search for "ferrules" on Amazon, for example.

Gengulphus

Well I think the term ferrule can be used for both items. When I worked in the electronics industry we used to use ferrules to terminate stranded cables for fitting into screwed terminals. Things like these http://uk.farnell.com/multicomp/duce101 ... dp/1269361 , very similar to the items shown in the original photo.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » October 5th, 2017, 11:09 am

For me a ferrule describes something which is open at both ends ( from Latin viriola, meaning little bracelet). A cap describes something with a closed end.

I have no idea whether this is an official difference but it seems a useful differentiation to me.

John

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » October 5th, 2017, 1:57 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Yes, 10 is indeed a noodle and yes, 8 looks like the end of 10 but it is not.

Part of a rivet?

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » October 5th, 2017, 2:13 pm

UncleIan wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:Yes, 10 is indeed a noodle and yes, 8 looks like the end of 10 but it is not.

Part of a rivet?

Too late...but no.

It's an end cap for a bike gear or brake cable

John

Return to “Games, Puzzles and Riddles”