Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

BT Phone Book

Strangeness abounds. No question too obscure
ten0rman
Lemon Slice

BT Phone Book

Postby ten0rman » February 22nd, 2017, 3:27 pm

I've just received a new one - 280 pages as against the 303 of the previous one. Preface - the same, Classified down by 4, Business down by 4, Residential down by 16.

I wonder if this reflects an increasing desire for privacy? For example. it's noticeable that if one looks at one particular website which aims to show how many people there are of a particular name by reference to the Edited Electoral Roll, that there are large numbers of people who apparently have "disappeared". Which in turn is reducing the usefulness of that particular website when tracing living people.

What do others think?

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: BT Phone Book

Postby Breelander » February 22nd, 2017, 4:06 pm

ten0rman wrote:What do others bink?

You haven't quite got into the spirit of LoOTP :)

LoOTP FAQ wrote:Editing posts. Can you edit one or two letters/words in someone's post to make it amusing or risqué ? Make sure you post your 'corrected' version when replying.
http://boards.fool.co.uk/welcome-to-the ... 13177.aspx

As for a serious answer, particularly for the Residential numbers, a noticeable trend is for households to drop their landline and only use a mobile (especially the younger generation).

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » February 22nd, 2017, 4:39 pm

Breelander wrote:... a noticeable trend is for people to drop their landline ...

Thus making them hands free?

MrCPFG
Lemon Pip

Postby MrCPFG » February 22nd, 2017, 5:59 pm

ten0rman wrote:I've just received a new one - 280 pages as against the 303 of the previous one. Preface - the same, Classified down by 4, Business down by 4, Residential down by 16.

What do others think?

I've never really enjoyed the plot of these books. Seems like just a load of name dropping, with a load of Polish people arriving at the end.

I can't remember who originally said that - Milton Jones, probably.

MrCPFG

ten0rman
Lemon Slice

Postby ten0rman » February 22nd, 2017, 9:35 pm

I agree that there seems to be a trend towards people using mobiles instead of landlines, although I've started going the other way in that I adamantly don't want all and sundry ringing my mobile especially when I'm out. Or if you like, when I'm out, I'm out. As a result, when asked for my mobile number, I don't deny that I have one, but say that I'm not giving it out, and indeed have gone so far as to ask one group of people to delete it from their records.

But looking back over the years, many years ago I was on record as saying that I disagreed with people being ex-directory, yet today, I am just that as part of the attempt to reduce scam calls as much as possible. Similarly, once the edited Electoral Roll became available, I immediately signed up for it, again as part of the attempt to reduce scam calls. I just wondered how many other people are doing the same thing.

It's a pity that it's come to this, and I blame the scammers for it.

Final comment. Bree says I haven't quite got the spirit of LooTP. Sorry, but I didn't know where else to post. Maybe the mods might like to shift it?

Regards,

ten0rman

poundcoin
Lemon Slice

Postby poundcoin » February 22nd, 2017, 11:57 pm

When I received my new phone book a few weeks ago I threw last year's in the bin , still in its original wrapper . So much easier to use t'internet to check numbers .
Maybe to save a few trees , it would be better for the phone co to send out a single page order form to its customers , to see who actually needs one ?

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » February 24th, 2017, 11:15 am

ten0rman wrote:I've just received a new one - 280 pages as against the 303 of the previous one. Preface - the same, Classified down by 4, Business down by 4, Residential down by 16.

I wonder if this reflects an increasing desire for privacy? For example. it's noticeable that if one looks at one particular website which aims to show how many people there are of a particular name by reference to the Edited Electoral Roll, that there are large numbers of people who apparently have "disappeared". Which in turn is reducing the usefulness of that particular website when tracing living people.

What do others think?

They may not know it, but two households in my road have recently benefitted from being in the phone book. I used it to look up their house numbers so that I could give them their post that was delivered to my house in error.

Watis

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 25th, 2017, 12:37 am

poundcoin wrote:When I received my new phone book a few weeks ago I threw last year's in the bin , still in its original wrapper . So much easier to use t'internet to check numbers .
Maybe to save a few trees , it would be better for the phone co to send out a single page order form to its customers , to see who actually needs one ?

Shame on you! Have you nothing in your house that needs propping up?

Bink333
Lemon Slice

Postby Bink333 » March 3rd, 2017, 10:48 am

What do others think?

My old one was 286 against the 333 of the new one.

Binks up by 1.

Return to “Land of Off Topic Posts”