Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Price gouging councils

Strangeness abounds. No question too obscure
Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Re: Price gouging councils

Postby Gerry557 » February 26th, 2024, 4:25 pm

JohnB wrote:
Gerry557 wrote: It was actually composted in the woodland but don't tell em

I hope that was your own private woodland, In the woods I help manage we hate the dumping of garden rubbish, it introduces invasive species and organic matter and upsets the natural balance.

Actually I was trying to make it a community woodland with free compost if you bring your own bag. The farmer next door had all the proper toys. The shredder could do trees. :shock: The idea behind the community bit was to have more eyes out for the dumpers. Fortunately it wasn't much of a problem but school holidays were sometimes an issue as youths liked to camp out and occasionally left their rubbish.

I have also found out that it costs £85 not on direct debit but there is an app or something which gives 20% discount. It also gets confusing as some use a brown bin and others use a green one. I did note one council that had 11 various boxes and bins so it's not easy.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » February 26th, 2024, 4:27 pm

clissold345 wrote:From an article in The Times (updated July 14, 2023):

"Council tax revenue is used to fund a number of local services which may include:

- Libraries
- Sports centres
- The fire service and police
- Refuse collection
- Road repairs
- Street lighting
- Social care

It also covers environmental health, trading standards and administration such as local elections and records of births, marriages and deaths."

Most of those have been cut, closed or don't happen so looking forward to my rebate :D

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » February 26th, 2024, 4:31 pm

JohnB wrote:
Gerry557 wrote: It was actually composted in the woodland but don't tell em

I hope that was your own private woodland, In the woods I help manage we hate the dumping of garden rubbish, it introduces invasive species and organic matter and upsets the natural balance.

I read a story the other day about someone who was fined for "littering" because they tossed the core of an apple they had been eating on some (public) rough ground somewhere. It was a fine from the local council.

That surprised me since I have routinely done the same thing, reasoning that since the item is biodegradable, it cannot be littering. I just figured that birds or worms would consume it.

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » February 26th, 2024, 4:35 pm

Lootman wrote:
JohnB wrote:I hope that was your own private woodland, In the woods I help manage we hate the dumping of garden rubbish, it introduces invasive species and organic matter and upsets the natural balance.

I read a story the other day about someone who was fined for "littering" because they tossed the core of an apple they had been eating on some (public) rough ground somewhere. It was a fine from the local council.

That surprised me since I have routinely done the same thing, reasoning that since the item is biodegradable, it cannot be littering. I just figured that birds or worms would consume it.

Yeah, absolutely. I often leave a bit of the apple for the birds.

I think its a bit rich fining someone for an apple core when trees habitually litter them all the time.

I think the only fruit you shouldn't chuck is bananna skins - they seem to take ages to rot down.

Return to “Land of Off Topic Posts”