Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Corporal Punishment

Strangeness abounds. No question too obscure
Halicarnassus
Lemon Slice

Corporal Punishment

Postby Halicarnassus » April 19th, 2017, 3:12 pm

To compliment the Capital punishment thread I thought I'd start one on corporal punishment.

OK I'll kick this off.

I believe in corporal punishment.

I think it should be part of a civilised nation's criminal justice system. I also think it should be part of the resources of schools for maintaining good discipline.

For many reasons, including just punishment, economic considerations and deterrence.

didds
Lemon Half

Re: Corporal Punishment

Postby didds » April 19th, 2017, 5:18 pm

It clearly didn;t work as a deterrent then Snorvey :-) whereas lines and detention clearly did :)

didds

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: Punishment

Postby PinkDalek » April 19th, 2017, 5:43 pm

Did someone mention lines? Are they no longer illegal?

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Re: Punishment

Postby CryptoPlankton » April 19th, 2017, 7:40 pm

PinkDalek wrote:Did someone mention lines? Are they no longer illegal?

Incidentally, the front line is presumably where Corporal Clegg won his wooden leg - hopefully he kept his Private Parts or it would have been a Major Disappointment to Mrs Clegg...

Halicarnassus
Lemon Slice

Postby Halicarnassus » April 20th, 2017, 12:05 am

Despite the odd honest anecdote to the contrary, I do think we need to bring back the cane and belt to our schools. I know that many of these eejits that attend schools today would fall into line pretty quickly.

Outwith education, I do think there is also a place for private and public corporal punishment. This includes public punishment that naturally includes shame and humiliation. To be frank, our Western societies have become soft and flabby and without going to the extremes of some Islamic nations that chop hands off etc, we could do worse than to reintroduce flogging, stocks, hard labour.

GJHarney
Lemon Slice

Postby GJHarney » April 21st, 2017, 12:52 pm

Do you like S&M too Halicarnassus, as I've always views it as being in the same box?

Halicarnassus
Lemon Slice

Postby Halicarnassus » April 21st, 2017, 12:55 pm

GJHarney wrote:Do you like S&M too Halicarnassus, as I've always views it as being in the same box?

Sorry it's late: S&M?

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » April 21st, 2017, 1:04 pm

I'm not at all happy to have CP in schools again. It was always the same kids and the behaviour generally evolved to accommodate CP, so that e.g. the last day of term would result in far more damage than necessary because the kids knew they'd be thrashed anyway, so why not set off 5 extinguishers instead of just 1..etc.

But there was also the fact that many, many teachers abused their power. It was paradise for sadists, sexual sadists and child molesters in general. It's no secret that many people get a sexual thrill from CP. I also know of cases where children were punished just because the teacher was in a bad mood. One woman in her fifties still remembers when she had her legs slapped hard on her first day of infant school because she simply didn't know that blue toilet door was for boys, pink for girls. A girl at my own school told me years later that she'd had the cane from a lady deputy head for misbehaviour one day. In fact, it had been her periods but nobody knew or cared.

In 1975, when I was 15, I went to stay with my french penfriend with others from the class. The difference between the schools was breath taking! No uniforms, no CP, yet much calmer, higher standards and the kids seem to work harder. When we were back home I was always puzzled why none of the teachers ever discussed the differences with us and years later I came to the conclusion they were just embarrassed.

I would be more inclined to change my mind if they first re-introduced it for adults. It seems to work very well in Malaysia, Singapore etc. Fines are not a fair punishment, since they can be laughed off by the very rich but can be devastating for someone on a low wage. Pain and humiliation would be true equality of punishment!

I won't hold my breath though!

Steve

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: CP

Postby PinkDalek » April 21st, 2017, 1:10 pm

CryptoPlankton wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:Did someone mention lines? Are they no longer illegal?

Incidentally, the front line is presumably where Corporal Clegg won his wooden leg - hopefully he kept his Private Parts or it would have been a Major Disappointment to Mrs Clegg...

Hello CP,

Whilst we are still at LoOTP:

Bink!

If this topic gets moved to the Land of Serious Dragons, I'll ask for my posts to be deleted from the thread. As I did when the other thread was moved across.

I didn't get all your references. Which is annoying.

PD

Return to “Land of Off Topic Posts”