Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Dear Perfume Genius

Strangeness abounds. No question too obscure
Bink333
Lemon Slice

Dear Perfume Genius

Postby Bink333 » October 29th, 2017, 9:42 am

Dear Perfume Genius

I have a DMOR spreadsheet and your name is on it. I can't tell you when I added your name, but I can tell you that you're not on the A list list, but on the other one. For the moment. Once a year I trawl through the entire spreadsheet to keep it updated, to see if any of the names on it have released anything that I might have missed over the course of the year to date. It is that time of year.

You were one of a hundred or so names that had indeed released some new material that I'd not noticed being released at the time. So, I added you to the listening list for those, like you that had done so, in order to see if I liked it enough to spend money on it or indeed so much that you could get moved onto my A list. Alternatively, it is to see if I disliked it enough to remove you from all lists altogether (which can also happen if you seem to have cracked it by becoming ridiculously popular as happened to Portugal The Man this time around with their recent utube video having been viewed over 40m times) or, simply to continue keeping a very occasional eye out on the progress you've been making.

Having trawled through utube clips, soundcloud uploads and some other promotional soundbites for around 150 artists I have discovered that the great-google-facebook-lemonfool-ad-God has decided that you are now that important that your upcoming gig at the Roundhouse should be advertised to me on every page I frequent that includes some sort of billboard mechanism to do so. Normally, I wouldn't mind. It comes with the territory when you frequent the internet without paying too much for the pleasure.

However, all I've done here is to watch a couple of your clips on utube, one of which was just ok and the other was pretty poor to be honest. You were one of many like this. Many offered far more pleasant earworms, and some even offered far more in the way of exceptionally interesting output. I'm not saying you're completely rubbish, as you'd never have got on my spreadsheet in the first place if I thought that, but for an artist that had just 742k (to date) views of your utube video, it seems somewhat unwarranted to have so much money spent upon advertising your aforementioned gig at Roundhouse to anyone of these 742,000 that had the temerity to watch the blessed thing.

I'm faced with a bit of a dilemma. You clearly have not 'cracked it' on the way that Portugal the Man seem to have done, or for that matter other artists long since removed such as 21 pilots or the 1975 whom I supported from the very beginning. However, someone has clearly decided to inject quite a lot of money into your career and so I can only conclude that you no longer require my potential financial support in the event of your ever releasing something worth listening to again and again that I might have paid to download.

Good luck with your gig, I hope lots of people go.

Kind Regards

Bink

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Re: Dear Perfume Genius

Postby scotia » October 30th, 2017, 9:55 am

I'm clearly out of touch. I thought that the headline referred to the North Korean leader visiting a perfume factory.
I bet most of his entourage described him as a genius

Return to “Land of Off Topic Posts”