Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Musk endeavours

The Big Picture Place
BobbyD
Lemon Half

Re: Musk endeavours

Postby BobbyD » July 11th, 2018, 2:44 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:If you look at the best historical precedent, imho Henry Ford...

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 12th, 2018, 12:31 pm

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 43406.html

The SuperMusk exploits continue, now with one bound, the citizens of Flint are to be saved. :)

John

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » July 13th, 2018, 12:06 pm

This is a fascinating look at how short sellers attack companies and how Tesla via the finance to build the gigafactory became a target that large short sellers could attack in the same way they have attacked other financial institutions.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... rs.118431/

Hat tip to Musk for Twitter link.

Regards,

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » July 14th, 2018, 5:26 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:Interesting details re the mini-sub and whether it could have worked:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/10/elon-mu ... hings.html

Regards,

Elon Musk can 'stick his submarine where it hurts', says British caver who helped rescue Thai schoolboys

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 47166.html

RC

PeterGray
Lemon Slice

Postby PeterGray » July 14th, 2018, 9:33 pm

Quite!

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » July 14th, 2018, 9:51 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:
Elon Musk can 'stick his submarine where it hurts', says British caver who helped rescue Thai schoolboys

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 47166.html

RC

Considering the cave divers were described as cool, calm, level headed, etc etc. this doesn't really feel right. Methinks this has been an "edited" story with an agenda, rather than a true piece of field reporting.

The report says "Musk was asked to leave" whereas I'm thinking, a billionaire on site who wants to help? Where's my list of things we need....?

Perhaps the actual truth lies in the middle. Who knows?

VRD

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » July 14th, 2018, 11:27 pm

This is a nice plot with twists, turns and agenda.

The story.

We learn that young boys and coach are missing and are found in a cave system, apparently having walked in and been unexpectedly trapped by early rains.

Fair enough.

Then we learn the cave system is so tight that a diver needs to take off his oxygen tank to get through, that the rocks are jagged and its is very dangerous.

So why does a coach take a lot of young boys into a cave that is very difficult to navigate with many dangerous things? One might think that someone who did that would face criminal endangerment charges, but apparently it wasn't his fault.

Then we have Musk apparently communicating with the divers and building something to their suggestions only to have his notion dismissed as non-sense because of the narrowness of the passage.

So did Musk ignore what he was told and build something useless just for the PR?
Was Musk deliberately fed the wrong info to make him look silly?
Was there another way out in deeper faster water that his machine could have dealt with that the divers alone could not?

Little of this story makes sense to me. This CNN video of comments by a UK diver:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1017914936289349635

may be accurate, but if so I am drawn back to wondering why a coach took all those boys into that kind of environment.

Dunno, but the interesting thing is that everyone seems to have forgotten about the boys, the bigger story that a lot in the media are running is about it all being a Musk PR stunt.

If one believes the diver, then why would Musk make something that makes him look like a fool, unless he was deliberately set up with false information.

Interesting

Regards,

Meatyfool
Lemon Slice

Postby Meatyfool » July 15th, 2018, 1:14 am

My understanding is the coach didn’t intend to go so far. They went in then got trapped by flooding. In order not to drown they kept going backwards.

Meatyfool..

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 15th, 2018, 6:32 am

A small narrow passage is not that difficult to get through for small skinny boys, when it is dry. When flooded it becomes a totally different game. As has been said, they were forced back into the cave by the rising flood water. It was not their intention to go so far in.

Musk had a few days to come up with his solution, I am not aware of the briefing that he received (if any) for the specification of his machine. He did well enough in the time available but this rescue was always going to be achieved through the careful endeavours of expert cave divers...there is not an optimal technical solution to every problem...especially one that can be designed and built in a few days.

Most people I know are focussed on the fantastic end result achieved with bravery and skill by the divers not on the actions , well intentioned or not, of Elon Musk which were a side show to the main event.

John

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » July 15th, 2018, 7:51 pm

I mean, I like Musk - he's an exciting guy and it's interesting to see what he's doing and where he goes next, but he really does have some issues with the social-network side of things -

Elon Musk has called a British diver who helped rescue schoolboys from a flooded cave in Thailand ‘pedo guy’ on Twitter.

The entrepreneur’s outburst came after diver Vern Unsworth told Mr Musk to “stick his submarine where it hurts” after describing his offer to help with a miniature submersible as a “PR stunt”.

Mr Musk travelled to the Tham Luang caverns in Chiang Rai this week and presented the six-foot submarine - which he said could help free 12 schoolboys stranded for weeks inside the cave.

Musk can 'stick his submarine where it hurts', says cave rescue diver

But Mr Unsworth, who was instrumental in rescuing the school football team, said the vessel the SpaceX boss invented “had absolutely no chance of working” because the inventor “had no conception of what the cave passage was like”.

In response to criticism from the diver, Mr Musk defended his invention through a series of tweets before adding: “Sorry pedo guy, you really did ask for it.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 48366.html

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » July 15th, 2018, 11:02 pm

Will be interesting to see if Musk's mini sub can make it to the cave as he says he intends to do with supporting video.

The reports of cave dimensions & such from various supposedly informed sources are now so at odds that I have no idea who is closest to the truth.

The whole saga has slipped from a celebration of human resourcefulness to a miserable set of claim & counter claim, made tragic by the Thai navy seal who died trying to help.

Regards,

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » July 16th, 2018, 1:35 am

Elon Musk calls British diver in Thai cave rescue a 'pedo' in baseless attack

Elon Musk came under fire on Sunday after launching an extraordinary attack on a British diver who helped rescue the boys trapped in a flooded cave in Thailand, baselessly calling him a “pedo” on Twitter and then doubling down.

On Sunday, when a Twitter user pointed out that Musk was “calling the guy who found the children a pedo”, the billionaire responded: “Bet ya a signed dollar it’s true.”

- https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... do-twitter

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 16th, 2018, 8:38 am

odysseus2000 wrote:Will be interesting to see if Musk's mini sub can make it to the cave as he says he intends to do with supporting video.

The reports of cave dimensions & such from various supposedly informed sources are now so at odds that I have no idea who is closest to the truth.

The whole saga has slipped from a celebration of human resourcefulness to a miserable set of claim & counter claim, made tragic by the Thai navy seal who died trying to help.

Regards,

Yes it is a real shame.

John

PeterGray
Lemon Slice

Postby PeterGray » July 16th, 2018, 9:11 am

I've seen no suggestion from anyone who has been right into the cave, and has any experience of caves and cave diving that there is any doubt about the nature of the passages that would have needed to be passed to get the boys out.

Peter
Last edited by tjh290633 on July 16th, 2018, 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tags corrected-TJH

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » July 16th, 2018, 9:48 am

A British cave diver who was instrumental in the rescue of 12 children trapped in a northern Thailand cave says he is considering legal action after the inventor Elon Musk called him a “pedo” on Twitter.

Vernon Unsworth, 63, told the Guardian on Monday he was “astonished and very angry” at the attack, for which Musk offered no evidence or basis. The billionaire initially doubled down on the comments made on social media, but has since deleted them.

Unsworth told journalists at the cave site, where a clean-up operation is underway, the remarks about him were an attack on the entire rescue crew.

“I believe he’s called me a pedophile,” he said. “I think people realise what sort of guy [Musk] is.”

- https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... -elon-musk

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » July 16th, 2018, 2:40 pm

more "buying opportunites"

Market Summary > Tesla Inc
NASDAQ: TSLA
308.88 USD −9.99 (3.13%)

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » July 17th, 2018, 11:42 am

Tesla is a volatile equity, a member of the group classed as high beta because of this. The equity is not the company although there is a relation between the two the performance of the business and the equity price can diverge significantly.

If we consider the business we have seen the production of over 5000 model 3 cars in a week, something that many thought would not happen.

After this announcement the share reached towards the top of the trading range for the last year:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DiTM8alWsAYbfre.jpg

Based on the business being, due to the Model 3 production, stronger it seemed likely to me that one could see the share price move upwards out of the range, just as earlier it had moved from the bottom of the trading range to the top.

This didn’t happen and would only be a problem if an investor/trader had put a lot of money in at this point rather than for example feeding some profits back in from earlier trades. Anyone who put a lot of money in at this point will have learned a lesson in what not to do with high beta tech.

Adding to this has been the tweet storm over the rescue of the Thai boys, a story that has become so wild that it makes no sense to me and this has likely been a lesson to Musk about his tweeting and/or conspiratorial activity to trash him.

Meanwhile break down and cost analysis of the model 3 suggests that it is being sold on a 30%-ish margin:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... profitable

If this is so then it represents a great financial product as there is still a lot of demand and Tesla have capitalised by requiring larger non refundable deposits on model 3 orders.

Going forwards there are at least two important issues.

Can Tesla keep cranking out Model 3 at good margins to un-sated demand or will competitors ofter something punters want more at lower cost?

Can Musk deal with the social media experience and not cause more trouble either by tweeting stuff that gets him trouble and/or not reacting to what are potentially baited traps to make him do just this.

Regards,

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » July 17th, 2018, 11:54 am

odysseus2000 wrote:
Can Musk deal with the social media experience and not cause more trouble either by tweeting stuff that gets him trouble and/or not reacting to what are potentially baited traps to make him do just this.

To be fair Ody, what with this latest tweet regarding the diver, and his recent antics during the Tesla analysts conference, I think it's proved that he's simply incapable of not reacting, and on top of that, he seems to be able to find a way to create 'traps' for himself where there once was none...

I think it's very important that Musk quickly learns to just be a better CEO before he does anything else...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 17th, 2018, 12:00 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:

To be fair Ody, what with this latest tweet regarding the diver, and his recent antics during the Tesla analysts conference, I think it's proved that he's simply incapable of not reacting, and on top of that, he seems to be able to find a way to create 'traps' for himself where there once was none...

I think it's very important that Musk quickly learns to just be a better CEO before he does anything else...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Do you think Trumptweetitis is contagious? :)

John

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » July 17th, 2018, 12:08 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

I agree and it's this sort of attitude that could seriously damage some of his businesses. It's not enough for him to make very good electric cars, he has to overhype the self driving abilities of his vehicles and leave Tesla open to all sorts of unnecessary reputational and legal risk.

RC

Return to “Macro and Global Topics”