Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Musk endeavours

The Big Picture Place
ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: Musk endeavours

Postby ReformedCharacter » December 1st, 2021, 2:17 pm

I see, the water is a requirement for deluge (rather than fire-fighting) which makes sense - some commentators have suggested that there would be no deluge system which I found unlikely, but Musk does have a habit of only adding complexity when proven to be needed, so I thought 'maybe'. It's going to be quite a spectacle when it happens and I must admit to greatly looking forward to it.

RC

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » December 2nd, 2021, 12:25 am

FSD 10.5 in New York.

I turned the audio off as the music distracted me, and just watched the little blue steering wheel to tell me when FSD was engaged.

There are certainly a number of times when the blue wheel goes, but overall it is impressive:

https://youtu.be/iRxgytzHrEo

7:08 minutes

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » December 2nd, 2021, 10:40 am

Porsche may have significant battery issues:

https://www.teslarati.com/porsche-whist ... s-coverup/

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » December 2nd, 2021, 10:41 am

Tesla developing panoptic segmentation of images:

https://twitter.com/karpathy/status/146 ... 75042?s=20

(1st of 3 tweets)

Regards,

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » December 2nd, 2021, 11:08 am

odysseus2000 wrote:Porsche may have significant battery issues:

Regards,

LOL. That'll be Alex Voight I take it?

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » December 2nd, 2021, 12:43 pm

BobbyD wrote:

Regards,

No its the Porsche battery.

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » December 2nd, 2021, 12:45 pm

Tesla solar roof tiles delivering an extra 22% of power:

https://twitter.com/TeslaSolar/status/1 ... 86600?s=20

Regards,

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » December 2nd, 2021, 1:10 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:
BobbyD wrote:

Regards,

Regards,

Sorry, are you stating that there is a problem with the Porsche battery because I'll be very surprised if Voight actually says that...

The man is consistently hilarious, or atleast that what's an anonymous source at Teslarati tells me.

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » December 2nd, 2021, 1:25 pm

BobbyD
Sorry, are you stating that there is a problem with the Porsche battery because I'll be very surprised if Voight actually says that...

The man is consistently hilarious, or atleast that what's an anonymous source at Teslarati tells me.

Yes, the article says there is a problem with the Porsche battery according to a Porsche whistle blower, whether this is true I don't know.

Regards,

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » December 2nd, 2021, 1:42 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:
BobbyD

Yes, the article says there is a problem with the Porsche battery according to a Porsche whistle blower, whether this is true I don't know.

Regards,

Your complete inability to tell the difference between 'There is a problem with Porsche's batteries' and 'Somebody who I will never name told me there is a problem with Porsche's batteries' is mindblowing, if utterly predictable.

I'll ask again, are you or are you not stating that Porsche has a serious problems with the batteries in the Taycan?

...because
odysseus2000 wrote:
and
odysseus2000 wrote:Yes

make it appear that you are...

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » December 2nd, 2021, 2:08 pm

BobbyD
I'll ask again, are you or are you not stating that Porsche has a serious problems with the batteries in the Taycan?

In the thread I did explicitly state that I do not know:

ody

Regards,

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » December 2nd, 2021, 2:53 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:
BobbyD

In the thread I did explicitly state that I do not know:

ody

Regards,

Right, so when I said 'I take it that was Alex Voight' and you said 'No it's Porsche batteries' what you meant was 'Yes it's just Alex being Alex'? This would be a massive story, don't you think it's strange that none of the other BEV sites who are markedly pro-Tesla and each others best source for stories haven't picked it up? Can't think why ...although it might be the same reason even under a report in Teslarati the most reccded comment is calling it out as FUD...

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » December 2nd, 2021, 7:17 pm

BobbyD
Right, so when I said 'I take it that was Alex Voight' and you said 'No it's Porsche batteries' what you meant was 'Yes it's just Alex being Alex'? This would be a massive story, don't you think it's strange that none of the other BEV sites who are markedly pro-Tesla and each others best source for stories haven't picked it up? Can't think why ...although it might be the same reason even under a report in Teslarati the most reccded comment is calling it out as FUD...

As I noted I am just citing the article with no knowledge of the validity.

If it is a whistle blower then likely the other media organisations do not speak with the person and so can neither confirm or deny.

As far as I know there has been a denial from part of Porsche, suggesting it is false, but the original breaker of the story argues that this information is known only to a small subset of Porsche and is not general knowledge within Porsche.

If it is a fabrication I would expect Porsche to issue a categorical statement that there is nothing wrong with their batteries and to possibly request that the original article is removed or perhaps they feel their reputation is good enough and don't want to waste time even discussing it further.

I repeat that I have no first hand information, just the claim that there are problems with Porsche batteries which I can not judge for accuracy.

This will perhaps get resolved one way or the other or just forgotten, but I do not know what will happen.

Regards,

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » December 2nd, 2021, 7:40 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:
BobbyD

As I noted I am just citing the article with no knowledge of the validity.

If it is a whistle blower then likely the other media organisations do not speak with the person and so can neither confirm or deny.

As far as I know there has been a denial from part of Porsche, suggesting it is false, but the original breaker of the story argues that this information is known only to a small subset of Porsche and is not general knowledge within Porsche.

If it is a fabrication I would expect Porsche to issue a categorical statement that there is nothing wrong with their batteries and to possibly request that the original article is removed or perhaps they feel their reputation is good enough and don't want to waste time even discussing it further.

I repeat that I have no first hand information, just the claim that there are problems with Porsche batteries which I can not judge for accuracy.

This will perhaps get resolved one way or the other or just forgotten, but I do not know what will happen.

Regards,

They frequently report 'according to an article on website X...' yet none of them, some of whom have published Voight's previous work in the increasingly distant past are touching it with a bargepole...

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » December 6th, 2021, 2:27 pm

Another car Tesla failed to make:

It's Official, Tesla Model Y Long Range RWD Not Going To Happen

...Back in February 2021, word got out that Tesla wasn’t going to offer a Model Y Long Range RWD model, even though it had advertised it and had taken orders for it.

...Mind you, it appears that those reports were accurate as Tesla has now officially officially ruled out the possibility of the Model Y Long Range RWD model ever entering production. According to Teslarati, Model Y LR RWD reservation holders received the following message in their account pages.

“Your current configuration is no longer available. Update your order in your Tesla account.”

So what happens to these customers who have valid reservations for a car Tesla is no longer willing to make? Well, they will need to select a different Model Y variant or lose their deposit.

...In the US, customers only have two dual-motor AWD Model Ys to choose from, the Model Y Long Range ($60,990) and Model Y Performance ($63,990), both more expensive than what the LR RWD model would have cost.

- https://insideevs.com/news/552675/tesla ... y-shelved/

* also worth noting, this is a report on a report on Teslarati!

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » December 6th, 2021, 2:40 pm

BobbyD wrote:Another car Tesla failed to make:

It's Official, Tesla Model Y Long Range RWD Not Going To Happen

...Back in February 2021, word got out that Tesla wasn’t going to offer a Model Y Long Range RWD model, even though it had advertised it and had taken orders for it.

...Mind you, it appears that those reports were accurate as Tesla has now officially officially ruled out the possibility of the Model Y Long Range RWD model ever entering production. According to Teslarati, Model Y LR RWD reservation holders received the following message in their account pages.

“Your current configuration is no longer available. Update your order in your Tesla account.”

So what happens to these customers who have valid reservations for a car Tesla is no longer willing to make? Well, they will need to select a different Model Y variant or lose their deposit.

...In the US, customers only have two dual-motor AWD Model Ys to choose from, the Model Y Long Range ($60,990) and Model Y Performance ($63,990), both more expensive than what the LR RWD model would have cost.

- https://insideevs.com/news/552675/tesla ... y-shelved/

* also worth noting, this is a report on a report on Teslarati!

Good business!

Focus on what customers want and don't make stuff that most customers don't want.

One of the benefits of the pre-order system is that Tesla get to see where demand is and the ability to cancel variants that are not attracting much interest.

All makers do this in some form or other. In my own nano scale businesses I look at what is selling and don't continue to produce what doesn't sell very much.

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » December 6th, 2021, 2:48 pm

Tesla share price under pressure, off over 5% as i type.

The october 25th gap closes at 910, currently Tesla is at $957.

Is this a good price to buy or a good price to close out?

I am inclined towards the former, but I don't know and we still have a lot more sales by Elon Musk before he has completed his capital raise to pay his taxes, the exact value is sill unclear as I still don't know what figure he was basing his 10% sale on.

Caveat Emptor!

Regards,

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » December 7th, 2021, 8:44 am

odysseus2000 wrote:
Good business!

Focus on what customers want and don't make stuff that most customers don't want.

Er, most consumers of cars want an ICE product. Can't recall you pushing those products for customers at any point?

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » December 7th, 2021, 9:22 am

dealtn wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:
Good business!

Er, most consumers of cars want an ICE product. Can't recall you pushing those products for customers at any point?

Do they?

I have still to find anyone with a BEV who wants to go back to ICE. I am sure such folk exist but I haven't met any.

Regards,

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » December 7th, 2021, 9:30 am

odysseus2000 wrote:
dealtn wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:
Good business!

Do they?

I have still to find anyone with a BEV who wants to go back to ICE. I am sure such folk exist but I haven't met any.

Regards,

So you think the market share numbers for ICE and non-ICE are wrong, or that the majority of people are deliberately buying something (ICE) they don't want?

Your response instead seems to be saying those minority of car buyers that choose a non-ICE product are happy with their choice. That may well be true (I don't know). But that isn't the same logical statement as non-ICE buyers are "most customers", as you referred to above, in the market for cars.

If you are a drinks manufacturer and more people buy beer than wine, you can legitimately solely produce and sell wine successfully, and ignore beer. You can't really though make the claim most customers don't want beer.

Return to “Macro and Global Topics”