Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Musk endeavours

The Big Picture Place
dspp
Lemon Half

Re: Musk endeavours

Postby dspp » February 4th, 2020, 1:25 pm

Out of interest, are there any Fools other than ody & myself who hold TSLA ?
regards, dspp

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » February 4th, 2020, 1:28 pm

dspp wrote:Out of interest, are there any Fools other than ody & myself who hold TSLA ?
regards, dspp

There are several well paid and media popular professional investors like Einhorn who own large negative numbers of Tesla shares and who are probably not having a good 2020 on account of their short position.

Regards,

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » February 4th, 2020, 2:15 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:UK to ban sales of new ICE cars including hybrids by 2035, this is 5 years early than previous target:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-clim ... ce=twitter

Regards,

According to Boris, who has come under pressure to pay lip service to environmental matters, and misreptesents basic facts about government agreements, aims and policy on a daily basis to those press outlets he still designs to address or have his spokesman brief.

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » February 4th, 2020, 2:31 pm

BobbyD wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:UK to ban sales of new ICE cars including hybrids by 2035, this is 5 years early than previous target:

Regards,

According to Boris, who has come under pressure to pay lip service to environmental matters, and misreptesents basic facts about government agreements, aims and policy on a daily basis to those press outlets he still designs to address or have his spokesman brief.

It doesn't matter if this is accurate or not.

It is another input into the car buyers mind and a bad blow for manufactures who wanted to keep making hybrids for ever and ever. Now folk will not want either pure ice or hybrids, they will want BEV.

Regards

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » February 4th, 2020, 2:40 pm

dspp wrote:Out of interest, are there any Fools other than ody & myself who hold TSLA ?
regards, dspp

Not directly, but I do hold Scottish Mortgage who I believe are the biggest institutional shareholder in Tesla. From memory Tesla accounted for 7% of their holdings at the end of last year, so it must be a bigger percentage now. They also have a significant holding in Ferrari :evil: .

Howard

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » February 4th, 2020, 2:58 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:
BobbyD wrote:

Regards,

It doesn't matter if this is accurate or not.

It is another input into the car buyers mind and a bad blow for manufactures who wanted to keep making hybrids for ever and ever. Now folk will not want either pure ice or hybrids, they will want BEV.

Regards

It does since you were claiming a fact not a claim, besides if the source isn't credible then at best it will have no effect, at worst it will strengthen the association between BEV's and political games.The best thing Boris could do for BEV's is probably driving the biggest, dirtiest ICE he can find.

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » February 4th, 2020, 3:03 pm

BobbyD
It does since you were claiming a fact not a claim, besides if the source isn't credible then at best it will have no effect, at worst it will strengthen the association between BEV's and political games.The best thing Boris could do for BEV's is probably driving the biggest, dirtiest ICE he can find.

Yes, this may well be how you view the situation.

I am trying to give the view of a punter with no specific interest in cars, media, investing, but who wants or needs a car and how he or she will think with this news flow and how this will impact legacy auto.

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » February 4th, 2020, 3:57 pm

Ron Baron and Cramer on Tesla:

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1224722 ... 48964?s=20

Regards,

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » February 4th, 2020, 4:00 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:
BobbyD

I am trying to give the view of a punter with no specific interest in cars, media, investing, but who wants or needs a car and how he or she will think with this news flow and how this will impact legacy auto.

Regards,

I'd love to see a Venn diagram of people who find Boris credible and people who would consider a BEV as their next car. 0 0

Again, if you are trying to claim the benefit of a policy announcement rather than the benefit of a policy then cite the announcement 'Boris claims that...' not the policy 'UK to ban...'.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » February 4th, 2020, 4:57 pm

2020 Porsche Taycan crushes its EPA range in our exclusive test

We test the electric Porsche extensively on a set EV test route and on a desert road trip

...Bottom line: Stop worrying about the Taycan’s range

I’ve taken numerous trips in many different electric cars, so I was never concerned about the Taycan even if its range did prove to be “just” 201 miles. But it’s now abundantly clear to me that the Taycan Turbo’s real world range is easily better that the number the EPA gave it.

My result of 287 miles of projected range in around-town driving shows that there’s ample cushion if you drive normally. It took 72.9 kWh to replenish the battery afterwards, and the math works out to a consumption rate of 34.8 kWh/100. That’s fully 29% better than the EPA rating of 49 kWh/100.

It's true that most EVs can exceed their rated range when driven prudently, but I've never seen this much margin on this course. Still, an EV's published range is conservative by design, the result of lopping 30 percent off the number generated by the EPA test protocol. As it happens, 201 miles is exactly what you get if you take 30 percent off my 287-mile result. I'm not saying that my course mimics the EPA EV test pattern exactly, but maybe this result says something about the by-the-book nature of Porsche's numbers in the context of the EPA procedure.

Better still, the numbers didn’t plummet on a more spirited road trip. Higher speeds and a bit of light hooning up a mountain had an effect, but it was nothing like I expected. My projected range was still more than 50 miles better than its official rating after all that. So let’s agree to stop wringing our collective hands about the 2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo’s range. It’s more than fine.

Contributing writer Dan Edmunds is a veteran automotive engineer and journalist. He worked as a vehicle development engineer for Toyota and Hyundai with an emphasis on chassis tuning, and was the director of vehicle testing at Edmunds.com (no relation) for 14 years.

- https://www.autoblog.com/2020/02/03/202 ... pDUcNcVgFz

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » February 4th, 2020, 6:22 pm

BobbyD wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:
BobbyD

Regards,

I'd love to see a Venn diagram of people who find Boris credible and people who would consider a BEV as their next car. 0 0

Again, if you are trying to claim the benefit of a policy announcement rather than the benefit of a policy then cite the announcement 'Boris claims that...' not the policy 'UK to ban...'.

One of my interests has been studying what PM say and if it happens.

There are exceptions like Mrs. May, but in general if a PM puts forward a policy it gets actioned, especially in the beginning of an administration when everyone is trying to curry favour with the new head honcho.

A statement by the PM has to be taken at a far higher level than a statement by anyone else in the country, save for Her Majesty.

Regards,

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » February 4th, 2020, 6:55 pm

Moderator Message:
Please keep politics out of this thread.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » February 4th, 2020, 7:13 pm

Looking at a lot of youtube Tesla stuff at the moment wondering if I am brave enough to get one.

Then I see stuff like this and decide I just can't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnUM0OWB0dM

Watch from 3.00

John

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » February 4th, 2020, 7:38 pm

As I see the UK it is now rapidly going to develop BEV and associated infra structure, both because it looks good and allows the UK to lecture other nations on their backward ways and as a means of creating economic growth in areas of poor employment. All of this of course being designed to increase re-election probabilities at the next general election.

If I assume I am correct then what do I expect to happen?

Substantial investment via incentives etc in factories to manufacture BEV charging infra structure being built in areas of high unemployment. It seem to me probable that battery manufacturing will be encouraged in the UK as this is the clear bottleneck preventing quicker uptake of BEV. Substantial tax advantages to buyers of BEV, better roof top solar regulations and paybacks, the utilities being told to get more green or suffer at the hands of the regulators. I expect substantially spending of grid scale batteries and it would not be surprising to me if we end up with a Tesla giga-UK.

This will all likely be presented as a series of policy initiatives with a tightening of the deadline as we have just had the PM announce for the UK to become CO2 neutral. There will also likely be substantial spending to increase all recycling, especially of plastics and likely legislation to allow additional taxes and tariffs on any business that creates stuff that is hard to re-cycle.

If you want an historical analogue it will be series of policy and spending initiatives like the New Deal when FD Roosevelt was elected in the US, targeted to improve things and create jobs in all four regions of the UK. For the UK an analogy would be the spend on munitions and civil defence that began when the dangers of Hitler were eventually realised.

The more I think about what the rapid rise in the price of Tesla stock is telling me, the more I am drawn to believing it is telling me that the BEV and storage revolution is going to be a lot bigger and happen faster than I have been thinking. There is an amazing cross generation belief that the oil economy has to go and that it needs replacing with the a clean electric one as soon as possible.

The current UK economic climate is probably the most advantageous we have ever had. A strong and prosperous base, fast and easy communications with the rest of the world and a belief spreading across the world that it is time to look after the planet with the potential to ignite the economy as did arms spending after the Great Depression in the mid 1930's.

The task now for investors is to find ways to make money out of these revolutions and probably the biggest risk to not doing so is to think too small and to believe that all the practices that all of us have known are appropriate for this new age.

People who have over the last few weeks made life changing amounts of money out of Tesla equity have been the ones who believed, not the ones who argued from the counting of beans. I think this lesson needs to be learned going forwards.

Regards,

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » February 4th, 2020, 7:54 pm

It strikes me that the UK will rapidly become like Cuba after 2035, where normal vehicles will be kept running a bit like Kelly's axe. That's at least as long as some form of liquid or gaseous fuel is available.

TJH

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » February 4th, 2020, 8:01 pm

tjh290633 wrote:It strikes me that the UK will rapidly become like Cuba after 2035, where normal vehicles will be kept running a bit like Kelly's axe. That's at least as long as some form of liquid or gaseous fuel is available.

TJH

I still haven't met anyone who has an electric car & wants to go back to petrol or diesel. There are bound to be some folk but I have never personally met one.

Regards,

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » February 4th, 2020, 9:10 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
Moderator Message:
Please keep politics out of this thread.

Seriously pointing out that an source with a history of making and breaking promises to buy themselves a built of breathing room making am announcement on BEV's whilst taking heavy criticism for their environmental policy may not he entirely sincere is politics and warrants deletion?

Have fun.

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » February 5th, 2020, 5:24 pm

Nissan first with UK autonomous drive. Embarrassing for Tesla, whose autonomous mode is not able to cope with UK roads?

https://news.sky.com/story/uks-first-au ... d-11926935

regards

Howard

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » February 5th, 2020, 6:31 pm

Howard wrote:Nissan first with UK autonomous drive. Embarrassing for Tesla, whose autonomous mode is not able to cope with UK roads?

https://news.sky.com/story/uks-first-au ... d-11926935

regards

Howard

How interesting! If this is true then it validates the whole concept of robotic driving and removes the uncertainty as to whether it can be done.

Most Tesla valuations do not include robotic driving, those that do are way over the current price.

Most interesting development.

Regards,

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » February 5th, 2020, 8:45 pm

Seeing a lorry reversing back down our lane, because it could not negotiate the narrow section, which has a 6'6" width limit, makes me want to see what an autonomous vehicle would do, when confronted with this phenomenon. Not only that vehicle but the several autonomous vehicles backing up behind it.

TJH

Return to “Macro and Global Topics”