Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Musk endeavours

The Big Picture Place
BobbyD
Lemon Half

Re: Musk endeavours

Postby BobbyD » March 18th, 2021, 3:19 am

German Public TV doc on Tesla Giga Brandenburg, English Language Version: https://www.zdf.de/politik/frontal-21/d ... h-100.html

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » March 18th, 2021, 10:25 am

BobbyD wrote:German Public TV doc on Tesla Giga Brandenburg, English Language Version: https://www.zdf.de/politik/frontal-21/d ... h-100.html

This is a good example of how democracy works: Legal, financial & environmental considerations only apply to weak people, strong people can do what ever they want.

This is useful for investors to know albeit bad for folk who believe in democracy.

Regards,

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » March 18th, 2021, 11:43 am

The government has downsized the financial incentive package offered to EV owners in the UK, reducing the 'plug-in car grant' from £3000 to £2500 and lowering the upper price limit for eligible vehicles.

Buyers of electric cars costing more than £35,000 will now no longer qualify for an incentive, which was previously available on vehicles costing up to £50,000. The changes come into effect immediately from today (18 March).

- https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/indu ... %C2%A32500

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » March 18th, 2021, 2:35 pm

BobbyD wrote:
The government has downsized the financial incentive package offered to EV owners in the UK, reducing the 'plug-in car grant' from £3000 to £2500 and lowering the upper price limit for eligible vehicles.

Buyers of electric cars costing more than £35,000 will now no longer qualify for an incentive, which was previously available on vehicles costing up to £50,000. The changes come into effect immediately from today (18 March).

- https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/indu ... %C2%A32500

So Tesla have said no to the various incentives offered to get a giga factory here.

The politicians have had a bit of as strop & decided to lower Tesla sales here with almost no warning.

Regards,

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » March 18th, 2021, 6:23 pm

"Volkswagen is the new Tesla" says the FT.

Of course what the journalist may be saying is that VW are making very optimistic claims about the future just like you know who. ;)

As an investor, a 30% rise in the VW share price in the last month, isn't too bad a result.

We'll see if they deliver.

regards

Howard

https://www.ft.com/content/4a1f3980-502 ... f31590e706

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » March 18th, 2021, 10:39 pm

Howard wrote:"Volkswagen is the new Tesla" says the FT.

Of course what the journalist may be saying is that VW are making very optimistic claims about the future just like you know who. ;)

As an investor, a 30% rise in the VW share price in the last month, isn't too bad a result.

We'll see if they deliver.

regards

Howard

https://www.ft.com/content/4a1f3980-502 ... f31590e706

Yes, nice pump exercise from VW management and their mates in the media.

Can they sustain it, or will we now see pros who have run the price up, take out their profits and dump the equity?

Regards,

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » March 19th, 2021, 3:51 am

Howard wrote:As an investor, a 30% rise in the VW share price in the last month, isn't too bad a result.

This is good news? Now I'm never going to be able to afford a board seat! I should be considering trimming VW, which I'm not, so I'll endure the high prices for your benefit, but as an investor I far prefer lower share prices to higher ones!

It's done weird things to the gap between Ords and Prefs though. I hold both, and usually the gap is fairly negligible, somewhere between €1-€20. At some points this week it's been 150% of the €91 I topped up at in Spring last year! It's currently €74, and there is no real benefit to holding either share class. I can see 3 reasons which might have contributed, none of which are particularly rational, or necessarily baked in, but that doesn't mean they won't persist.

odysseus2000 wrote:Yes, nice pump exercise from VW management and their mates in the media.

It's good to hear you watched it ODY, although it's notable from their 'news pieces' on the usual sites that quite a few TSLA holders inexplicably managed to miss quite major chunks of information on first watching. They were swiftly corrected BTL though, where the knowledge, discussion and analysis was as ever far superior. Maybe you'd benefit from a second watch?

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » March 19th, 2021, 9:43 am

BobbyD wrote:
Howard wrote:As an investor, a 30% rise in the VW share price in the last month, isn't too bad a result.

This is good news? Now I'm never going to be able to afford a board seat! I should be considering trimming VW, which I'm not, so I'll endure the high prices for your benefit, but as an investor I far prefer lower share prices to higher ones!

It's done weird things to the gap between Ords and Prefs though. I hold both, and usually the gap is fairly negligible, somewhere between €1-€20. At some points this week it's been 150% of the €91 I topped up at in Spring last year! It's currently €74, and there is no real benefit to holding either share class. I can see 3 reasons which might have contributed, none of which are particularly rational, or necessarily baked in, but that doesn't mean they won't persist.

odysseus2000 wrote:Yes, nice pump exercise from VW management and their mates in the media.

It's good to hear you watched it ODY, although it's notable from their 'news pieces' on the usual sites that quite a few TSLA holders inexplicably managed to miss quite major chunks of information on first watching. They were swiftly corrected BTL though, where the knowledge, discussion and analysis was as ever far superior. Maybe you'd benefit from a second watch?

I imagine Ody was too busy reading BMW's glowing Annual Report and fretting about their cashflow and its effect on their balance sheet. Their shares are up about 40% in the last six months so maybe the market quite likes their strategy too? Time will tell.

regards

Howard

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » March 19th, 2021, 10:33 am

BobbyD

Anyone who has seen as many pump operations as I have gets to have a very good feel for them.

Classics are new technology with no volume production but which is nevertheless about to change the world. Estimates of production that are so many years out as to be meaningless.

No discussion on the troubles of existing product, in this case the numerous software glitches and update failures that ID3 and ID4 owners are having.

Commentary in the financial press about how good the opportunities are, the quality of the business and management being excellent etc but with no mention of how the proposed developments will impact the existing business.

Regards,

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » March 19th, 2021, 10:43 am

odysseus2000 wrote:
BobbyD

Anyone who has seen as many pump operations as I have gets to have a very good feel for them.

Classics are new technology with no volume production but which is nevertheless about to change the world. Estimates of production that are so many years out as to be meaningless.

No discussion on the troubles of existing product, in this case the numerous software glitches and update failures that ID3 and ID4 owners are having.

Commentary in the financial press about how good the opportunities are, the quality of the business and management being excellent etc but with no mention of how the proposed developments will impact the existing business.

Regards,

It's amazing how two people can watch the same 2 hour presentation and draw such different conclusions from it...

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » March 19th, 2021, 12:29 pm

China bans Tesla cars from military installations over concerns about what cameras may be collecting:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesl ... SKBN2BB18R

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » March 19th, 2021, 12:32 pm

BobbyD
It's amazing how two people can watch the same 2 hour presentation and draw such different conclusions from it...

It would be even more amazing if two people could watch the same presentation and draw the same conclusions. Markets exist because of this basic aspect of human nature: I.e. to discover the price that folk will pay for something.

Regards,

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » March 19th, 2021, 1:15 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:
BobbyD

Regards,

I assume you're being ironic here?

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » March 19th, 2021, 1:47 pm

dealtn wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:
BobbyD

Regards,

Not really. The difference between the VW power day and Tesla battery day is that most of the media got behind VW describing them as a quality act, the only folk who could beat Tesla and VW share price rose. This despite much of the VW Power day being vapour ware. E.g. although Quantum Scape claim some good laboaratory results for their solid state battery tech, they have no practical mass production.

Tesla battery day was far more technical and the media didn't like it and the share price went down even though there was a reality behind the Tesla battery cost reductions and new practical technology being described.

VW Power day was in my view a classic pump operation.

Tesla battery day was a look into how the company plans to improve the batteries used in their vehicles.

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » March 19th, 2021, 1:56 pm

A bit of background on an 8K tons press machine for cast production made by IDRA of Italy:

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-cybertr ... ress-video

Disappointing that no operation is shown and its mostly a marketing piece with video for IDRA.

Regards,

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » March 19th, 2021, 2:20 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:
dealtn wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:

Regards,

Not really.

Ok understood.

It might be my imagination then as I am fairly sure I have seen Tesla fans make claims about new technology whilst volume production was low. Made estimates many years out into the future (but presumably that wasn't meaningless).

I am quite sure I have heard stories about glitches and failures from Tesla customers reported too.

I am almost certain that stories abound in the financial press about how good the opportunities are within Tesla, the quality of the business (possibly management less so - stories here tend to be dominated by a single person with multiple qualities).

You're right its much more likely to be confirmation bias than irony you are expressing.

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » March 19th, 2021, 2:57 pm

dealtn
Ok understood.

It might be my imagination then as I am fairly sure I have seen Tesla fans make claims about new technology whilst volume production was low. Made estimates many years out into the future (but presumably that wasn't meaningless).

I am quite sure I have heard stories about glitches and failures from Tesla customers reported too.

I am almost certain that stories abound in the financial press about how good the opportunities are within Tesla, the quality of the business (possibly management less so - stories here tend to be dominated by a single person with multiple qualities).

You're right its much more likely to be confirmation bias than irony you are expressing.

I was specifically comparing and contrasting VW Power Day with Tesla battery day and noting that imho Power Day was a pure pump operation that was done well.

Other investors/traders have different views which is fine. If they are right and VW are actually doing good stuff and handling their legacy business well then one can expect the VW share price to rise and vice versa.

Regards,

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » March 19th, 2021, 3:58 pm

dealtn wrote:

What a vivid imagination you have! Next you'll be claiming that the CT, semi and Roadster have all been delayed...

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » March 20th, 2021, 11:14 am

ARK’s Price Target for Tesla in 2025
https://ark-invest.com/articles/analyst ... -target-2/

Last year, ARK estimated that in 2024 Tesla’s share price would hit $7,000 per share, or $1,400 adjusted for its five for one stock split. Based on our updated research, we now estimate that it could approach $3,000 in 2025. To arrive at this forecast, ARK used a Monte Carlo model with 34 inputs, the high and low forecasts incorporating 40,000 possible simulations. Our bull and bear price targets are the top and bottom quartile outcomes from the simulations, as shown below: ................
Conclusion
Given the updates outlined in this blog, ARK’s 2025 price target for Tesla is $3,000. ARK’s bear and bull case suggest that Tesla could be worth roughly $1,500 and $4,000 per share, respectively. We published our model on Github and invite you to test your own assumptions and/or craft visualizations from the simulation outputs for our assumptions. Note: We do not model Tesla’s utility energy storage or solar business in our models. We also have not modeled bitcoin assumptions in our model. For ARK’s work on bitcoin as corporate cash, please download our latest Big Ideas presentation.

YMMV, dspp

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » March 20th, 2021, 2:05 pm

Interesting article on a German port, near Tesla Berlin that was close to bankruptcy after the lignite trade ended but which now sees a good future:

https://www.rbb24.de/studiofrankfurt/wi ... hwung.html

The article is in German, but if the text is selected, Google translate does a great job of turning it into English.

Regards,

Return to “Macro and Global Topics”