Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

The effects of NATO matters

The Big Picture Place
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: The effects of NATO matters

Postby redsturgeon » July 13th, 2018, 8:38 am

It is interesting to look at NATO's actions from the Russian perspective sometimes.

https://www.strategic-culture.org/news/ ... egion.html

Operation Sea Breeze currently ongoing in the Black Sea US led involving 29 warships, a submarine and 29 aircraft.

All quite legal of course but could you imagine the US response if Russia was to hold a similar drill in the Caribbean?

NATO has been pushing Eastwards for some time right to the very borders of Russia, then we exhibit surprise when Russia is a little concerned and here we go again with an ultimately fruitless arms race.

When will we ever learn?

John

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » July 13th, 2018, 9:02 am

I was under the impression that Turkey is a member of NATO and hosts a number of US bases. It has a considerable coastline on the Black Sea. There is no comparison with an operation by Russia in the Caribbean.

TJH

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 13th, 2018, 9:19 am

tjh290633 wrote:I was under the impression that Turkey is a member of NATO and hosts a number of US bases. It has a considerable coastline on the Black Sea. There is no comparison with an operation by Russia in the Caribbean.

TJH

As I said, it is sometimes worth taking the Russian perspective and I think if you did you might find SOME comparison.

John

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » July 13th, 2018, 9:21 am

So Russia has a coastline and territorial waters in the Caribbean?

TJH

PeterGray
Lemon Slice

Postby PeterGray » July 13th, 2018, 9:33 am

Sure you can argue that force leaves unhappiness and leads to longer term trouble, but that trouble falls on other politicians,

I certainly would!

I was responding to your suggestion that In the by & by all we will care about is what was achieved.. In my view (and I'm not a historian!) it does. There's no shortage of examples of ongoing problems round the world that have resulted from badly thought out interventions by more powerful countries over the years. I can't see that those are something to write off because we're only interested in what happens next week. If you achieve a short term benefit at the cost of major long term problems that not much of an achievement, is it?

Peter

PeterGray
Lemon Slice

Postby PeterGray » July 13th, 2018, 9:37 am

So Russia has a coastline and territorial waters in the Caribbean?

No, TJH! Russia has coastline and territorial waters next to Turkey (and a disputed land border with Ukraine which is in discussions to join NATO). However, Cuba does, and remember how the US (and the west) felt when Russia had military manoeuvres and hardware in Cuba?

Peter

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » July 13th, 2018, 10:33 am

Peter Gray
I was responding to your suggestion that In the by & by all we will care about is what was achieved.. In my view (and I'm not a historian!) it does. There's no shortage of examples of ongoing problems round the world that have resulted from badly thought out interventions by more powerful countries over the years. I can't see that those are something to write off because we're only interested in what happens next week. If you achieve a short term benefit at the cost of major long term problems that not much of an achievement, is i

I am not saying it is an achievement, I am just saying it is what happens & yes it does lead to much longer term problems & it would be better if it didn't, but I have to deal with the world as it is, not with how it could be, or with how I would like it.

Regards

Return to “Macro and Global Topics”