Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

E-bikes outsell standard bikes in Netherlands

The Big Picture Place
Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

E-bikes outsell standard bikes in Netherlands

Postby Itsallaguess » March 2nd, 2019, 11:08 am

Dutch go electric in record numbers - E-bikes now outsell standard bicycles in Netherlands, with quality prized more than price

In what was already a long-running purple patch for the Dutch cycle industry, domestic sales records have been broken in the last 12 months despite spiralling prices, as technological developments push the standard push-bike into the annals of history.

The Dutch love affair with the bicycle is well chronicled – there are 22.5m of them in a country of 17 million people – but has moved up a level, according to a study by the RAI Vereniging, an organisation representing the automotive and cycling sector.

More than 1m bicycles were sold last year in the Netherlands, up 5.7% on 2017, and at the same time Dutch consumers appear willing to spend big on their bicycles, particularly on e-bikes, statistics show.

E-bikes accounted for €823m of €1.2bn in bicycle sales in 2018. It was the first year that overall sales past €1bn and the first time more e-bikes were sold than standard bicycles. In terms of units, 409,400 e-bikes were sold, up 40% on 2017. As a result the average price of a bicycle in the Netherlands rose by about €200 to €1,207. In 2011 the average was €734.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/01/bike-country-n0-1-dutch-electric-record-numbers-e-bikes-netherlands

Got to agree with the comment later in the above article that in a relatively short time, there won't be 'E-bikes' and 'Normal bikes' - we'll soon be at a point where 'normal bikes' are 'e-bikes'....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: E-bikes outsell standard bikes in Netherlands

Postby redsturgeon » March 2nd, 2019, 11:31 am

Wow, that is amazing. If you have ridden a decent e bike, you will realise the attraction if it is a mode of transport from A to B you require (as I believe is the case in Holland.)

As for the e-bike just becoming a "bike", interestingly we still talk about "flat screen TVs" when I guess any other sort is unobtainable now, or mobile phones when they far outsell "non mobiles".

John

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » March 2nd, 2019, 12:07 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
As for the e-bike just becoming a "bike", interestingly we still talk about "flat screen TVs" when I guess any other sort is unobtainable now, or mobile phones when they far outsell "non mobiles".

Well, as a guy who still 'tapes things' if they're going to be on the TV when I'm out, then I'm probably not the best example when discussing the potential for rapid change in language in these areas.... :)

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

PeterGray
Lemon Slice

Postby PeterGray » March 3rd, 2019, 10:57 am

I can see e-bikes becoming the norm for people who use them for transport over more than short distances, and that may well be a growing market. However, I don't see any prospect of e-bikes replacing human powered bikes for most leisure or sports cyclists.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 3rd, 2019, 12:14 pm

PeterGray wrote:I can see e-bikes becoming the norm for people who use them for transport over more than short distances, and that may well be a growing market. However, I don't see any prospect of e-bikes replacing human powered bikes for most leisure or sports cyclists.

I tend to agree, however have you actually rode a decent e-bike. They are great fun and I can see even the the sporting/leisure realm they will have a place. eg. The are great for getting uphills so for mountain bikers who like the thrill of the downhill but not so much the uphill grind they are great. For road cyclists they bring new areas into range and a cyclist who might be able to cover 50 mile without assistance can cover perhaps 100 miles with a decent electric road bike. So perhaps for myself a cycling trip to the alps would be doable with electric assistance whereas I would struggle without it.

I took part in a cycle trip to Italy last year and joined a group of guys who have been doing the same trip every year for over ten years. They ranged from keen hobby cyclists who have ridden from London to Paris in 24 hours to fat middle aged couch potatoes (I won't say where I fitted in). But with half the group on e bikes it was possible to do something together that would not have been possible without. The guys on the e-bikes also got a bit of a workout but it was just remarkable how they just wizzed by us non e-bikers on any hill.

John

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » March 3rd, 2019, 1:01 pm

PeterGray wrote:I can see e-bikes becoming the norm for people who use them for transport over more than short distances, and that may well be a growing market. However, I don't see any prospect of e-bikes replacing human powered bikes for most leisure or sports cyclists.

You'd be very surprised at the fun that the e-foldy brigade have. Out for a 100 miles, back on the train or the bus with no hassle. Revolutionary.

- dspp

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » March 3rd, 2019, 2:01 pm

E bikes are impractical if you want to leave them anywhere. Great for riding around but leaving one outside the office or at the local shops is not on as you probably have to remove the battery to reduce the risk of theft. In short e bikes are too easy to steal and too expensive to buy. For the price of a decent e bike you can buy a motor scooter.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 3rd, 2019, 2:23 pm

We've been here before. Once upon a time, we had motor-assisted pedal cycles - aka mopeds. Then a combination of regulation and industry trends turned them into an idiosyncratic category of small motorbike, abandoning the pedals altogether.

I expect some Fools are old enough to have encountered that generation of bikes with both pedals and motors? How much has really changed, beyond the move from petrol to electric and the changed regulatory regime?

BTW, I expect the Dutch figures - if fair (i.e. not a deceptive spin) - are a bit of a blip, as the electric models become mainstream. If most Dutch already have bikes, it'll be a minority who buy a new one in any particular period. Once the electrics are more widespread, the same will apply to them.

Meanwhile as advancing years take their toll, I expect I'll try one myself one of these days. How much heavier are they than a regular bike, if they have to be carried up&down steps?

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 3rd, 2019, 2:28 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:We've been here before. Once upon a time, we had motor-assisted pedal cycles - aka mopeds. Then a combination of regulation and industry trends turned them into an idiosyncratic category of small motorbike, abandoning the pedals altogether.

I expect some Fools are old enough to have encountered that generation of bikes with both pedals and motors? How much has really changed, beyond the move from petrol to electric and the changed regulatory regime?

BTW, I expect the Dutch figures - if fair (i.e. not a deceptive spin) - are a bit of a blip, as the electric models become mainstream. If most Dutch already have bikes, it'll be a minority who buy a new one in any particular period. Once the electrics are more widespread, the same will apply to them.

Meanwhile as advancing years take their toll, I expect I'll try one myself one of these days. How much heavier are they than a regular bike, if they have to be carried up&down steps?

If you ride one you will realise that they are a world away from the old two stroke mopeds. They are heavier than some ordinary bikes mostly the weight of the battery.

John

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » March 3rd, 2019, 3:49 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:We've been here before. Once upon a time, we had motor-assisted pedal cycles - aka mopeds. Then a combination of regulation and industry trends turned them into an idiosyncratic category of small motorbike, abandoning the pedals altogether.

My Whyte e bike weighs about 18kg, so quite heavy to lift and move around, but it does have a walk assist mode. I have no worries leaving it locked up outside the pub on an evening, but I have decent lock.

EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

Postby EssDeeAitch » March 3rd, 2019, 4:29 pm

I am a sports cyclist (Etape du Tour, Newcastle to London 24 hours etc) and at 66 I can see my next bike being an eBike. I can ride 100 miles no bother but have real difficulty hanging onto the group who are five to 25 years younger than me on hills.

It will be a way of facilitating participation in longer group rides. But I suspect I am three of four years away from that point and I am sure battery techmology will have moved on by then. Lighter, smaller, cheaper!

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » March 3rd, 2019, 5:02 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote: Then a combination of regulation and industry trends turned them into an idiosyncratic category of small motorbike, abandoning the pedals altogether.

The Netherlands has an extensive network of cycle paths. These are laid out like roads, so physically separate from the roads used by motor traffic and paths used by pedestrians. They also permit use of these by mopeds and it's both legal and normal to ride without crash helmets.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » March 3rd, 2019, 5:48 pm

I'm in my mid seventies, and I'm really enjoying my e bike. I bought a foldable model, so it can be put in the boot of my car, but at around 18kg I wouldn't like to carry it. It has a range of around 30 miles and has 8 speed Shimano gears. I have a cable lock - as you would use for a normal bike, and its battery is supplied with its own lock. It allows me to take as much exercise as I desire - if I put a bit of effort into the pedalling, then I get less assistance from the motor. Its a great benefit when confronting steep hills, or even when cycling against a strong wind. Although I still could get around on a conventional bike, I would certainly use it a lot less than the e bike. My usual trips are around 14 miles, which I carry out several days per week (weather dependant). I'm hoping it will help me shed a bit of weight.

Return to “Macro and Global Topics”