Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Welcome - this is the LF equivalent of "Bert's Sanctuary" on TMF

The Big Picture Place
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Welcome - this is the LF equivalent of "Bert's Sanctuary" on TMF

Postby Clariman » December 17th, 2016, 5:24 pm

Post away!

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Re: Welcome - this is the LF equivalent of "Bert's Sanctuary" on TMF

Postby odysseus2000 » December 19th, 2016, 12:42 am

Thank you for creating this board.

It is a pleasure to have this new venue.

I hope it will be a place with the same qualities as the original board.

Regards,

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » January 15th, 2017, 11:26 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:

Speaking for myself and hopefully others who were excluded from the original board, I hope that this board will aspire to higher qualities than the original.

I would ask that the word "Sanctuary" be removed from the description. The original board was thus named because it was intended to exclude people that the owner hated [his word] or considered looney or extreme.

If this board is to be open and welcoming to all, the term "Sanctuary" is quite inappropriate. On the other hand, if it is preferred to perpetuate previous prejudices then I will shake the dust from my feet as I leave.

Not totally unrelated to the above, in honour of Martin Luther King day, John Hussman this week posts MLK's speech "Love your enemies" and neatly links it in with the current economic and political environment:

http://www.hussmanfunds.com/wmc/wmc170116.htm

I suggest reading from the extract below, as the first section is a rehash of many of his previous comments:

If one understands
the law of cause and condition
one can find spring
in the midst of autumn frost and winter snow

- Buddhist Proverb

While human beings tend to be very eager to extrapolate existing conditions, and even enlarge them in their imagination, they are less apt to envision what isn’t already happening. The problem with the future, quite simply, is that it hasn’t happened yet. To see the future, one has to look deeply at the seeds that are already there in the present, but simply haven’t come to the surface. One has to recognize the interconnectedness of things - the fact that nothing has a separate self, but is instead the manifestation of a whole set of causes and conditions. A “cause” is a seed. A “condition” is a circumstance that allows the seed to grow.

Perhaps why some believe you cannot predict the future course of markets?

GS

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » January 16th, 2017, 10:43 am

GoSeigen wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:

Speaking for myself and hopefully others who were excluded from the original board, I hope that this board will aspire to higher qualities than the original.

I would ask that the word "Sanctuary" be removed from the description. The original board was thus named because it was intended to exclude people that the owner hated [his word] or considered looney or extreme.

If this board is to be open and welcoming to all, the term "Sanctuary" is quite inappropriate. On the other hand, if it is preferred to perpetuate previous prejudices then I will shake the dust from my feet as I leave.GS

GS - I've raised this as a possible subtitle change. No promises. It is Stooz & Clariman who are the Gods. regards, dspp

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » January 16th, 2017, 12:05 pm

Perhaps it could be retitled as something like “Brexit Voters Sod Off”, to truly reflect what the board had become in the last few months on TMF.

I'm being serious; the most highly recommended posts in the second half of 2016 tended to contain statements which can be boiled down to: Brexit voters are evil / sub-human / devoid of emotion / vile / worse than those who herded the Jews into the concentration camps (yes, someone actually said the latter and got over 60 recs for it). And as for the torrent of abuse that some of us received...

Things like this get noticed, which is one of the reasons why a lot of people who used to post on Bert's have vanished. Take this from me, I know several of the regulars (offline as well as online) who feel the same way.

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » January 16th, 2017, 12:20 pm

SH -

Various points, no particular order, personal perspective only:

1. This is the INVESTORS ROUNDTABLE area. It is not for emotional chit chat. Anybody doing that should head down to POLITE DEBATE.

2. I sense we are all trying - and largely succeeding - in having a cultural reset in the TMF > TLF relocation. Any baggage should be parked at POLITE DEBATE. If the polite debate becomes impolite debate then the Gods of Stooz & Clariman have said they will delete that entire area.

3. So far (perhaps forever) recs have not been introduced. So rec-tarting is less likely to go on.

4. Very cautiously can I point out that torrents of abuse is a two-way phenomenen in many topic-areas. It is not just confined to the recent referendum. If in doubt check out discussions on POLITE DEBATE. But in any case it should not affect INVESTORS ROUNDTABLE.

5. I have asked the question you raised re the subtitle change to the Gods. Let's see what they do. They move at unknown speeds.

regards, dspp
(not a moderator in this area)

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » January 16th, 2017, 1:45 pm

SalvorHardin wrote:Perhaps it could be retitled as something like “Brexit Voters Sod Off”, to truly reflect what the board had become in the last few months on TMF.

I'm being serious; the most highly recommended posts in the second half of 2016 tended to contain statements which can be boiled down to: Brexit voters are evil / sub-human / devoid of emotion / vile / worse than those who herded the Jews into the concentration camps (yes, someone actually said the latter and got over 60 recs for it). And as for the torrent of abuse that some of us received...

Things like this get noticed, which is one of the reasons why a lot of people who used to post on Bert's have vanished. Take this from me, I know several of the regulars (offline as well as online) who feel the same way.

As a moderator of this area. Any such post would be deleted and the poster warned. What happens on the Polite Debate forum is another matter.

However, as DSPP said a re-think on the name is under way.

Raptor.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » January 17th, 2017, 6:28 am

SalvorHardin wrote:Perhaps it could be retitled as something like “Brexit Voters Sod Off”, to truly reflect what the board had become in the last few months on TMF.

Thanks SalvorHardin and dspp for the measured responses. I also think the board could do with perking up a bit -- only three threads in its first month and only two or three people talking to each other.

SalvorHardin, I followed the thread you referred to in real time and have long been a keen reader of your posts. I did think at the time though that a few responses on all sides were more heated and personal than necessary. People naturally feel very strongly one way or another about Brexit and the whole country spent much of 2H 2016 trying to get over the shock of winning/losing the vote. I personally fall into the camp that is dismayed at the prospect of Brexit and all that it means, but bizarrely am one of those who voted in favour of it. So I could hardly accuse myself of the things in your quote above!

However, I'd hope that in hindsight you'd be able to see some posts as having been written in the heat of quite a pivotal and momentous moment and not necessarily reflecting the considered view of the respective authors [and in sloppy defence of the "Nazi" author, his writing is never polished -- some posts I barely understand -- so I'd not read too much into his use of a tired metaphore. Besides, you've surely heard of Godwin's Law??].

I'd welcome your continued investment-related contributions to this board.

GS

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » January 17th, 2017, 8:14 am

yup, this has been dominated by a lot of Brexit noise for the last few months.
And we are due a bit more today as May spells out that Brexit means Brexit, and that this will be a 'clean and hard Brexit' and a 'red, white and blue Brexit.....a Brexit that is shiny, and smells of spring flowers, and makes your children play nice etc etc

On a serious note, I do drop in on this board regularly to see if there is any informed discussion going on on Macroeconomic matters, to catch some gems from time to time.

Any views on the schedule for the Euro to get pounded? key elections in France, Netherlands, Greek bond repayments due etc?

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » January 18th, 2017, 9:06 am

SalvorHardin wrote:Perhaps it could be retitled as .........

SH - the Gods of Stooz and Clariman said a new subtitle was OK and it happened. regards, dspp

Return to “Macro and Global Topics”