Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Beyond Meat

The Big Picture Place
odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Re: Beyond Meat

Postby odysseus2000 » June 14th, 2019, 9:42 pm

Changed my mind after inside day yesterday & up today when the rest of the market was weak And bought a very small amount.

Regards,

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » June 15th, 2019, 7:33 am

odysseus2000 wrote:Changed my mind after inside day yesterday & up today when the rest of the market was weak And bought a very small amount.

Regards,

Sorry for the pun, but sometimes you just have to trust gut feelings. :lol:

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » June 18th, 2019, 2:47 pm

Well that was spectacular, lovely gap up today, didn't expect that but now out of the shares and just watching.

Regards,

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » June 18th, 2019, 6:39 pm

redsturgeon wrote:My daughter is totally vegan for ethical reasons and does like the taste and texture of meat so often eats substitutes such as seitan...not Quorn since that is not vegan.

I have stopped eating meat and don't really go for the fake meat substitutes since I am against over processed food in general. I'd be interested in a link from Lootman to back up his assertion that Beyond meat is unhealthy. Personally as I say I am against most factory processed food but I'd imagine that a beyond meat burger is not more unhealthy than a beef burger but without the animal cruelty and less harmful to the planet.

Over the next decades we are going to have to move away from animal products like beef for the good of the planet and Beyond Meat is just an early mover in that space.

I don't know if the current share price in justified, time will tell.

John

There is a programme on ITV at 7.30pm tonight: "Save Money - Good Diet", that may be of interest to you. It includes Vegan burgers.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » June 18th, 2019, 7:19 pm

richfool wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:My daughter is totally vegan for ethical reasons and does like the taste and texture of meat so often eats substitutes such as seitan...not Quorn since that is not vegan.

I have stopped eating meat and don't really go for the fake meat substitutes since I am against over processed food in general. I'd be interested in a link from Lootman to back up his assertion that Beyond meat is unhealthy. Personally as I say I am against most factory processed food but I'd imagine that a beyond meat burger is not more unhealthy than a beef burger but without the animal cruelty and less harmful to the planet.

Over the next decades we are going to have to move away from animal products like beef for the good of the planet and Beyond Meat is just an early mover in that space.

I don't know if the current share price in justified, time will tell.

John

There is a programme on ITV at 7.30pm tonight: "Save Money - Good Diet", that may be of interest to you. It includes Vegan burgers.

Thanks I will watch it tomorrow.

John

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » July 24th, 2019, 11:22 am

vagrantbrain wrote:I read about this a few weeks back and mentioned it to the girlfriend who is a vegetarian, she wasn't interested. I thought it strange but she explained that she was put off eating Quorn because of the texture - reminded her of eating meat even though she actually wasn't - and so couldn't see herself eating synthetic meat. If they get the branding and image right then I can see it appealing to those who are veggie for the lifestyle rather than the morals/ethics though.
I don't eat meat because I got out of the habit in 81 after seeing one of those filmed-from-a-hold-all documentaries showing the mass production of sausages in the UK, which led me to stop eating sausages immediately. I used to like eating, for example, steak.

Don't eat Quorn because I can't quite see the logic in eating something that pretends to be meat. I think that these products are perhaps suited to people that eat meat and want to eat less rather than to people that don't eat meat and want to eat more.

Haven't yet been faced with a decision to buy something that really looks like a raw steak (but isn't). I probably wouldn't bother and certainly don't spend any time even glancing at the meat counter.

So I think the marketing department of Beyond Meat and the like need to concentrate their efforts on guilt-tripping meat-eaters.

Chris

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » July 24th, 2019, 1:54 pm

I've been vegetarian since 1992, with the odd exception (working in Paris and trying to eat vegetarian was a nightmare).

My epiphany came about when sent to identify a systems failure at a pig-to-pie factory, although I understand animal welfare has improved somewhat since those days.

Mrs VRD (also a long-time vegetarian) buys Quorn; it comes in handy at times to make certain recipes, but I certainly wouldn't miss it if we stopped buying it.

I hadn't heard of "Beyond Meat", but had been keeping an eye on "Impossible Foods" who haven't IPO'd yet, but have signed an agreement to roll out their burgers to McDonalds (USA). They've started to hire C-level execs with public company experience, so their IPO may be relatively soon.

An option for those who missed the BM IPO - but DYOR.

VRD

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » July 30th, 2019, 1:21 pm

The secondary now just looks like greed, selling shares when they think they can, breaking the lockup. A near copycat repeat of what GoPro did and the GoPro share price got creamed. I expect BYND equity to get hurt by this.

Regards,

Return to “Macro and Global Topics”