Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

ECB consider more QE

The Big Picture Place
TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

ECB consider more QE

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » June 18th, 2019, 1:37 pm

Does this suggest perhaps us leaving the EU isn't so bad after all?

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-ecb-p ... KKCN1TJ0PK

I'm not an expert, but doesn't the need to apply QE either mean your economy is up-the-creek, or that you are financially a bit silly?

DJT doesn't seem to approve, so I suppose that it must be bad.... ;)

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Re: ECB consider more QE

Postby odysseus2000 » June 18th, 2019, 2:02 pm

Many of the ideas and beliefs of central banks have assumed no change in global trade. Trump's use of Tariffs was, imho, not considered likely or effective and now that it has been done and had significant effects, the central banks are trying to formulate a response.

Powell at the US Fed was keen to raise rates for no obvious reason other than they used to be higher, but he has had to pause as tariffs are doing what rate rises would have done and perhaps more so that he is now apparently thinking of cutting rates.

German industry doesn't like a strong Euro making their products more expensive and so perhaps the ECB is reacting to pressure from Merkel whereas Trump sees such moves as going against his trade policy and undermining US industry.

In the sense that the ECB is trying to manage a currency for the weak Greek economy to the huge powerful German economy one can argue that being out of the Euro and out of the constraints of the EU is a blessing, but many others argue the reverse with very polarised, near religious convictions on both sides.

Regards,

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » June 18th, 2019, 4:51 pm

Thanks Ody

odysseus2000 wrote:Many of the ideas and beliefs of central banks have assumed no change in global trade. Trump's use of Tariffs was, imho, not considered likely or effective and now that it has been done and had significant effects, the central banks are trying to formulate a response.

Powell at the US Fed was keen to raise rates for no obvious reason other than they used to be higher, but he has had to pause as tariffs are doing what rate rises would have done and perhaps more so that he is now apparently thinking of cutting rates.

Sounds like a play into DJTs hands - isn't he always banging on about wanting low fed rates?

German industry doesn't like a strong Euro making their products more expensive and so perhaps the ECB is reacting to pressure from Merkel whereas Trump sees such moves as going against his trade policy and undermining US industry.

I get it. Print more euros and make hence em cheaper.

In the sense that the ECB is trying to manage a currency for the weak Greek economy to the huge powerful German economy one can argue that being out of the Euro and out of the constraints of the EU is a blessing, but many others argue the reverse with very polarised, near religious convictions on both sides.

But perhaps I jumped the gun in my OP. Since were we still *remain* to in the EU, but keep the £, perhaps it's irrelevant what the ECB does?

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » June 18th, 2019, 5:21 pm

A lot of this about posturing.

Trump and FED (Powell) are at also a loggerheads with Powell having raised rates and Trump now having used the tariff weapon undermining Powell rate rises such that they may be too much and need reversing as Trump would like, so ECB throwing their comments in saying if we don't like what you do we will react.

Personally I don't pay much attention to any of this or even much on Brexit as its very unclear to me what will happen. I focus more on individual stocks and macro trends but currency traders love this sort of stuff.

Regards,

Return to “Macro and Global Topics”