Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Purpose of "Macro & Global"

The Big Picture Place
TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Purpose of "Macro & Global"

Postby TUK020 » May 10th, 2020, 9:39 am

Does anyone else feel frustrated at how bipolar this board is?

There are some brilliant topics and discussion posted here:
- long term trends in interest rates (thank you tikuniteh)
- structural impact of oil prices (thank you forrado)
- de-globalisation (thank you flyer61)
- monetary impact of government rescues (thank you Bubblesofearth)

Not least:
- investment impact of Coronavirus (thank you midsmartin, posted 5th Feb, asking if anyone was selling off? I wish I had seen this one earlier and spent more time thinking about it)

I feel that this board contains some of the best nuggets on the Lemon Fool, but I have been visiting it less and less because the nuggets are getting buried in 'pico,pico,pico' chitchat about Elon's latest tweet, or the repair cost of a Model 3

How would people feel about splitting the board up?

Rant over
tuk020

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Purpose of "Macro & Global"

Postby redsturgeon » May 10th, 2020, 10:34 am

Surely all you need to do is avoid the "Musk" thread.

Also remember that there have been long period where the "Musk" thread was the only game in town.

John

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » May 10th, 2020, 11:11 am

Perhaps the answer is to move the Musk topic to another forum, one devoted to Motoring, for example?

TJH

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » May 10th, 2020, 11:57 am

TUK020 wrote:How would people feel about splitting the board up?

tuk020

Into what?

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » May 10th, 2020, 12:29 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Surely all you need to do is avoid the "Musk" thread.

Not wishing to go too off-topic but can one in effect automatically ignore individual topics, where one has ticked 'Subscribe Forum' for this board, by finding somewhere to tick to individually unsubscribe from a particular topic?

As an example, using the 'Musk endeavours' Topic, I must have posted on it at some stage and find I can tick somewhere using the spanner to unsubscribe. Would that stop me from receiving notifications on that topic, even when I continue to subscribe to the board itself?

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » May 10th, 2020, 12:32 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:Surely all you need to do is avoid the "Musk" thread.

Not wishing to go too off-topic but can one in effect automatically ignore individual topics, where one has ticked 'Subscribe Forum' for this board, by finding somewhere to tick to individually unsubscribe from a particular topic?

As an example, using the 'Musk endeavours' Topic, I must have posted on it at some stage and find I can tick somewhere using the spanner to unsubscribe. Would that stop me from receiving notifications on that topic, even when I continue to subscribe to the board itself?

I suffer a mild form of OCD, which means I "need" to read every post found under "Unread Posts", (thankfully I don't feel compelled to reply to all of them!). Can I just say the single best decision the site owners have ever made was allowing me to opt-out of Polite Discussions!

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » May 10th, 2020, 12:47 pm

TUK020 wrote:... How would people feel about splitting the board up?

The problem, if there is one, is the only guidance available for this board is the main board title and the sub-header The Big Picture Place.

Many of the topics when started here have already been covered or could be covered on other boards dotted around TLF but I don't think those who start the topics are particularly concerned on that front and prefer to post here.

On that basis, I don't think any splitting would serve any purpose as the topics could easily be catered for elsewhere already. Merely as an example and as TJH suggests, Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport can cater for some of the discussion and, as it happens, there is a recent topic entitled Will electric cars take over? over there which partly covers the subject but not the entirety of the main subject obviously. There are plenty of Tesla related topics over there as well ...

Others will tell you they jump in when a topic catches their eye and take no interest in the board title anyway.

The best solution is to find a way not to be alerted to the posts/topics that don't interest you, as has been said, but a great deal would depend on how you find out they exist in the first place, if you get my drift.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » May 10th, 2020, 12:51 pm

dealtn wrote:I suffer a mild form of OCD, which means I "need" to read every post found under "Unread Posts", (thankfully I don't feel compelled to reply to all of them!).

Echo, thus my continual attempt to find solutions that suit me. Opening seventy tabs at a time or whatever method is used, to apply Mr Read, isn't the best way but we digress ...

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » May 11th, 2020, 9:49 am

TUK020 wrote:Does anyone else feel frustrated at how bipolar this board is?

No.

How would people feel about splitting the board up?

No point at all. Yes, it's effectively Ody's soap box (2346/2384 posts here including 1564 about Musk) but let him have his space. There are some 80 other boards on TLF and thousands of threads. No need to bash this board. Just ignore the one or two threads you are not interested in.

Rant over

Glad it wasn't a serious suggestion!

GS

vagrantbrain
Lemon Slice

Postby vagrantbrain » May 11th, 2020, 11:05 am

FWIW I think we should spilt it into Tesla-Practical and Tesla-Strategy boards. Then when someone posts there is the opportunity for lots of meta discussion about why it's posted on the wrong board rather than the subject of the post... :D

Or

Everything related to Tesla or Musk stays in one big thread so if you're not interested it's easy to see what not to read.

Return to “Macro and Global Topics”