Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Do I follow Dumb and Dumber

The Big Picture Place
taken2often
Lemon Slice

Do I follow Dumb and Dumber

Postby taken2often » June 29th, 2023, 7:27 pm

The answer is yes. For now. The world is spending vast amounts of money to buy Chinese Renewables. We do not make our own. We do not drill for our own Oil and Gas, we like to buy it in. Every pound spend abroad is lost. If every one believes in self distruction how do we benefit from it. The short term ie 20/30 years storage good, renewables good. still what happens when the Chines have us over a barrel and will nor supply the replacements unless we pay mega money or they wish to destroy us. Replacing the British with Chinese. That is a long term possibility. At what point do you run out of money to buy abroad. Food , Energy, every item we need. No cheap energy, no production. My death is starting to look mattractive.

Bob

Mike4
Lemon Half

Re: Do I follow Dumb and Dumber

Postby Mike4 » June 29th, 2023, 11:59 pm

taken2often wrote:The answer is yes. For now. The world is spending vast amounts of money to buy Chinese Renewables. We do not make our own. We do not drill for our own Oil and Gas, we like to buy it in. Every pound spend abroad is lost. If every one believes in self distruction how do we benefit from it. The short term ie 20/30 years storage good, renewables good. still what happens when the Chines have us over a barrel and will nor supply the replacements unless we pay mega money or they wish to destroy us. Replacing the British with Chinese. That is a long term possibility. At what point do you run out of money to buy abroad. Food , Energy, every item we need. No cheap energy, no production. My death is starting to look mattractive.

Bob

Can I have some of whatever you're smoking, please?

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 30th, 2023, 12:35 am

Mike4 wrote:
taken2often wrote:The answer is yes. For now. The world is spending vast amounts of money to buy Chinese Renewables. We do not make our own. We do not drill for our own Oil and Gas, we like to buy it in. Every pound spend abroad is lost. If every one believes in self distruction how do we benefit from it. The short term ie 20/30 years storage good, renewables good. still what happens when the Chines have us over a barrel and will nor supply the replacements unless we pay mega money or they wish to destroy us. Replacing the British with Chinese. That is a long term possibility. At what point do you run out of money to buy abroad. Food , Energy, every item we need. No cheap energy, no production. My death is starting to look mattractive.

Bob

Can I have some of whatever you're smoking, please?

Every pound spent abroad is a holiday surely?

On the China point, if my history is correct the plan might be to get them addicted to opium and then go to war?

taken2often
Lemon Slice

Postby taken2often » June 30th, 2023, 11:28 am

Servodude I think you are a wee bit out of date. They send us the drugs now.

Bob

NotSure
Lemon Slice

Postby NotSure » June 30th, 2023, 4:04 pm

Bob

I cannot speak for renewables in its entirety, but my work is very linked to wind power. Have you heard of Vestas, SG, Enercon etc? Westerners are quite leery when it comes to, for example, Chinese wind turbines. Can you give a bit more details/numbers? The point you raise is potentially very valid IMHO, but I'm less sure about your conclusions.

NotSure
Lemon Slice

Postby NotSure » June 30th, 2023, 4:05 pm

taken2often wrote:My death is starting to look mattractive.

:D :? ;) :shock: :D

taken2often
Lemon Slice

Postby taken2often » June 30th, 2023, 6:40 pm

NotShure I have looked at some of the companies mentioned mostly foreign. Some have some workers in the UK. Source of components difficult to impossible to source their origin. Seems there are no big manufacturers of Turbines in the UK. As far as I know China has cornered the market in Solar Panels and we have moved on a bit from Vacuum hot water panels. A bit strange I nearly became an Agent for the First one it wone a Design Council Award. The problem was that only the mature citizen who did not need lots of hot water could afford them. Still a good product. What put me off was an English Architect building a Stakis Hotel in Spain told me that there was no future for this product even in Spain,so he was told by the Spanish Engineers. GE who had a good size area on a canteen roof, thought it was good in summer. Had no thoughts that preheating incoming water in winter could save a lot of money. I gave up then and moved on to another product, that I did very well with until I sold it. Gave up working at 52. Investing for income a lot easier.

77 now so in the waiting room

Bob

NotSure
Lemon Slice

Postby NotSure » July 1st, 2023, 10:22 am

taken2often wrote:NotShure I have looked at some of the companies mentioned mostly foreign. Some have some workers in the UK. Source of components difficult to impossible to source their origin. Seems there are no big manufacturers of Turbines in the UK. As far as I know China has cornered the market in Solar Panels and we have moved on a bit from Vacuum hot water panels. A bit strange I nearly became an Agent for the First one it wone a Design Council Award. The problem was that only the mature citizen who did not need lots of hot water could afford them. Still a good product. What put me off was an English Architect building a Stakis Hotel in Spain told me that there was no future for this product even in Spain,so he was told by the Spanish Engineers. GE who had a good size area on a canteen roof, thought it was good in summer. Had no thoughts that preheating incoming water in winter could save a lot of money. I gave up then and moved on to another product, that I did very well with until I sold it. Gave up working at 52. Investing for income a lot easier.

Bob

There are no UK wind turbine manufacturers but some are EU (really don't want to introduce a certain concept to this thread, but this has made my employer's and hence my life much more complex and expensive :)). Some are also from the other global player, USA, regarded as friendly. Not my area, but I believe solar panels are virtually all eastern, but unlike turbines, which have complex and opaque control systems and could conceivably be shut down by embedded malware, solar panels are very simple. Hence panels, while part of strategic infrastructure, do not seem to be viewed as a security risk, but increasingly, turbines are.

taken2often
Lemon Slice

Postby taken2often » July 1st, 2023, 4:15 pm

NotSure Thanks for your interesting response. The Turbines have a few problems that cause concerns. The visual aspect seems to be major. I have seen some that I think are to near major roads and could cause havoc if they Self Distruct. The disposal of the blades was a big problem but I see that is being addressed for the future. Offshore appears to address most problems. I have some stock in Solar IT,s but my big hope is in storage and Hydrogen production. So I strongly suggest that every Tower should be linked to storage or manufacturing by law. This would reduce downtime funding and help to balance the Grid. I look forward to the profits from this legislation.

Bob

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » July 1st, 2023, 10:59 pm

NotSure wrote:
taken2often wrote:NotShure I have looked at some of the companies mentioned mostly foreign. Some have some workers in the UK. Source of components difficult to impossible to source their origin. Seems there are no big manufacturers of Turbines in the UK. As far as I know China has cornered the market in Solar Panels and we have moved on a bit from Vacuum hot water panels. A bit strange I nearly became an Agent for the First one it wone a Design Council Award. The problem was that only the mature citizen who did not need lots of hot water could afford them. Still a good product. What put me off was an English Architect building a Stakis Hotel in Spain told me that there was no future for this product even in Spain,so he was told by the Spanish Engineers. GE who had a good size area on a canteen roof, thought it was good in summer. Had no thoughts that preheating incoming water in winter could save a lot of money. I gave up then and moved on to another product, that I did very well with until I sold it. Gave up working at 52. Investing for income a lot easier.

Bob

There are no UK wind turbine manufacturers but some are EU (really don't want to introduce a certain concept to this thread, but this has made my employer's and hence my life much more complex and expensive :)). Some are also from the other global player, USA, regarded as friendly. Not my area, but I believe solar panels are virtually all eastern, but unlike turbines, which have complex and opaque control systems and could conceivably be shut down by embedded malware, solar panels are very simple. Hence panels, while part of strategic infrastructure, do not seem to be viewed as a security risk, but increasingly, turbines are.

Which brings us to the new nuke at Sizewell which is half Chinese, half French, giving multitudes of opportunities to install hostile code into the firmware & other surprises. What could possibly be caused to go wrong?

Regards,

Return to “Macro and Global Topics”