Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Musk endeavours

The Big Picture Place
Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Musk endeavours

Postby Lootman » September 9th, 2018, 10:53 am

odysseus2000 wrote: its all very confusing to me as to when the FBI can get involved and on top of that is the various levels of State police, State Troupers and where they can and can't act. Meanwhile the University where I worked had its own security, as did Nasa as did the [expletive deleted] where the NASA site was.

All I know is that cities have cops, counties have sheriffs (who also police the courts and jails) and States have troopers. Highway patrol are State troopers who have jurisdiction on the major roads. Rangers are Federal and have jurisdiction in the national parks.

Then there are anomalies. Washington DC has cops but not an investigative force, so crimes in DC are investigated by the FBI even though the crime may be local. (I know this because a friend of mine was a victim of a fairly serious crime there).

The Presidio is wholly within the city of San Francisco but the police there are NP rangers - the city cops don't have jurisdiction although they can be invited to help.

I've never been sure what Federal marshalls do, but I think they are equivalent to sheriffs, except with a national remit.

Then there is the FBI, the DEA, the TSA, the coastguard, the military police, homeland security and border protection. The IRS is part of the Treasury but they have their own enforcement people as well.

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » September 9th, 2018, 11:32 am

Lootman wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote: its all very confusing to me as to when the FBI can get involved and on top of that is the various levels of State police, State Troupers and where they can and can't act. Meanwhile the University where I worked had its own security, as did Nasa as did the [expletive deleted] where the NASA site was.

All I know is that cities have cops, counties have sheriffs (who also police the courts and jails) and States have troopers. Highway patrol are State troopers who have jurisdiction on the major roads. Rangers are Federal and have jurisdiction in the national parks.

Then there are anomalies. Washington DC has cops but not an investigative force, so crimes in DC are investigated by the FBI even though the crime may be local. (I know this because a friend of mine was a victim of a fairly serious crime there).

The Presidio is wholly within the city of San Francisco but the police there are NP rangers - the city cops don't have jurisdiction although they can be invited to help.

I've never been sure what Federal marshalls do, but I think they are equivalent to sheriffs, except with a national remit.

Then there is the FBI, the DEA, the TSA, the coastguard, the military police, homeland security and border protection. The IRS is part of the Treasury but they have their own enforcement people as well.

Okay, just a bit complicated then!

I suppose its quite common to have multiple layers of police as there is some kind of similar splitting of responsibilities in Italy with the Carabinieri doing some stuff, city police another etc. In the UK there are constabularies for each of the counties and London has the Met police and ...

When I was in Alabama there was the issue of speed limits and who could change them. One day they went up, a few days later they went down again and that carried on for a while till eventually the higher one was adopted.

The politicians in Alabama made themselves speed limit exempt only changing back after much complaint and then there was the clock in the Alabama legislature, which was used to define when things happened and if things were not getting done on time, someone would take the clock down and stop it till things were agreed.

Anyhow thanks for confirming how complicated US policing is.

Regards,

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » September 9th, 2018, 12:43 pm

Just to point out that the days of local police forces in the UK ceased many years ago. The TV drama Endeavour was last set at the time when Thames Valley. Police replaced a number of forces. Time was when each county or county borough had its own force with Chief Constable and Watch Committee but I think that they died with Edward Heath's reorganisation of local government. Scotland has a unified police force, I believe.

TJH

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » September 9th, 2018, 5:09 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:
BobbyD
It's legal at state level, but it's still a schedule 1 controlled substance whose use and distribution are offences carrying mandatory minimums under Federal law so can't be described as legal.

Are you are saying something is legal & illegal at the same time? Surely it depends where you are.

The US constitution allows State Rights, which means that each State has the ability to determine what is legal in its State. Federal agencies can strike down State laws, but as I understand it, have not done so for consumption of 'weed' with several States now allowing 'weed' to be smoked. Going across State lines is another matter, just as e.g. Some recreational drugs are legal in certain European countries & illegal in others.

If there was any opportunity to arrest Musk many of the haters would be attempting to get him arrested now & as far as I know no warrants for his arrest exist.

Regards,

No Federal agency needs to strike down a state law, the Controlled Substances Act is a Federal Law and as such applies in all 50 states regardless of the state's position on the legality of the drug.

Federal Marijuana Laws

28 297
If you live in a state that legalized medical or recreational marijuana use, it may come as an unpleasant surprise to learn that you are still committing a federal crime by possessing, buying, or selling marijuana. The problem is, despite the liberalization of state laws across the country, federal law still treats marijuana as a controlled substance, just like cocaine or heroin.

This conflict between state and federal law creates a situation where you can be charged with a federal crime for activities that are allowed by your home state. And your state laws won’t be a defense in federal court. There are also several ways that federal marijuana laws can affect everyday life decisions, from where you bank to where you live.

- https://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-c ... -laws.html

So your smoke might not be illegal under state law, but it is illegal under Federal law, and hence can't simply be described as legal.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » September 9th, 2018, 5:17 pm

johnhemming wrote:
BobbyD wrote:can Tesla keep up with the pace?

I have not invested nor have I bought the car (I need a vehicle that will transport my keyboard, guitar and PA to gigs) they do, however, appear considerably more innovative than the majors.

Maybe, although the majors haven't exactly been showing all their working up 'til now and I'd say competition from a considerably faster charging standard and network would be a significant problem for Tesla, but the majors can afford a bad model, hell VW were quite happy losing $6.25 million on every Buggatti Veyron they sold... Tesla don't have profitable business to keep them afloat if a car bombs, or the width of development pipeline to keep on top of every market sector simultaneously. To me that looks like a vulnerability.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » September 9th, 2018, 6:10 pm

It's illegal to have weed's active ingredient [THC] in the blood-stream in both the UAE and Singapore, it doesn't apply only to physical possession on the person. So now he's apparently publicised that he's a stoner he's not entering either of those countries any time soon, NOR transiting them. The UAE and Singapore are each mega aviation hubs, and right now he'd be inviting at least a blood or urine test if he visited. Not only that but woe betide he's flying different routes but gets redirected due to an emergency situation to either place. If it's in his blood then it's guaranteed jail-time, zero exceptions. Oh to be holding Tesla shares if that happened. That's what I meant by 'reckless'.

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » September 9th, 2018, 8:30 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:It's illegal to have weed's active ingredient [THC] in the blood-stream in both the UAE and Singapore, it doesn't apply only to physical possession on the person. So now he's apparently publicised that he's a stoner he's not entering either of those countries any time soon, NOR transiting them. The UAE and Singapore are each mega aviation hubs, and right now he'd be inviting at least a blood or urine test if he visited. Not only that but woe betide he's flying different routes but gets redirected due to an emergency situation to either place. If it's in his blood then it's guaranteed jail-time, zero exceptions. Oh to be holding Tesla shares if that happened. That's what I meant by 'reckless'.

Is there an exemption for medical use?

One of the arguments for legalising weed is to alleviate suffering from various illness. In the US, at least in some States, Weed can be prescribed by a physician.

Presumably also the UAE have some threshold level as being near someone who is smoking weed will leave signatures in the body.

This can all get wild. An acquaintance visiting the US was strip searched after one of the spaniels at immigration started sniffing her. Quite hillarious as she is strongly opposed to all recreational drugs, but the agents didn't believe her and finally decided she had sat on a seat that someone earlier had used with weed in his clothes. I don't think she has been back to the US since.

Regards,

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » September 9th, 2018, 9:32 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:Is there an exemption for medical use?

No, it's black and white, if it's in your blood you will be going to jail. Singapore (and several other countries) even confiscate simple (tobacco/e-cigarette) vapes at their borders, though in such cases it's perhaps arguable if it's more about local tax collection on tobacco, versus health. Perhaps some people are unaware how strict such countries are.
Refer: the arrivals card for tourists to Singapore, printed in bold red capital letters 'DEATH FOR DRUG TRAFFICKERS UNDER SINGAPORE LAW'.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... re_Law.jpg
Having amounts of THC in your blood won't get you executed, but you will be going to jail if they test you and prove it. Witness how the sniffer dogs patrol certain flight's luggage belts on arrival at their Changi Airport; Amsterdam flights for sure...

odysseus2000 wrote:Presumably also the UAE have some threshold level as being near someone who is smoking weed will leave signatures in the body.

IDK what any level they have might be. The situation you illustrate would be simply double-checked with a secondary blood test at the airport. Comply or get deported; or perhaps they can force you to have one IDK.

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » September 9th, 2018, 11:47 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:Is there an exemption for medical use?

No, it's black and white, if it's in your blood you will be going to jail. Singapore (and several other countries) even confiscate simple (tobacco/e-cigarette) vapes at their borders, though in such cases it's perhaps arguable if it's more about local tax collection on tobacco, versus health. Perhaps some people are unaware how strict such countries are.
Refer: the arrivals card for tourists to Singapore, printed in bold red capital letters 'DEATH FOR DRUG TRAFFICKERS UNDER SINGAPORE LAW'.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... re_Law.jpg
Having amounts of THC in your blood won't get you executed, but you will be going to jail if they test you and prove it. Witness how the sniffer dogs patrol certain flight's luggage belts on arrival at their Changi Airport; Amsterdam flights for sure...

odysseus2000 wrote:Presumably also the UAE have some threshold level as being near someone who is smoking weed will leave signatures in the body.

IDK what any level they have might be. The situation you illustrate would be simply double-checked with a secondary blood test at the airport. Comply or get deported; or perhaps they can force you to have one IDK.

Judging by the number of people I come across who do use recreational drugs these kinds of policies must put people off visiting Singapore etc. But then again I once met a couple who said they ran an illegal distillation operation in Saudi Arabia, saying it was a good business so no doubt there are folk who will take the risk along with the citizens of those places who provide the demand.

Tesla stock by comparison looks a whole safer!

Regards,

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » September 10th, 2018, 8:33 am

odysseus2000 wrote:Judging by the number of people I come across who do use recreational drugs these kinds of policies must put people off visiting Singapore etc.

They're entirely unembarrassed, they do not want the kind of people who use recreational drugs visiting their country.

odysseus2000 wrote: But then again I once met a couple who said they ran an illegal distillation operation in Saudi Arabia, saying it was a good business so no doubt there are folk who will take the risk along with the citizens of those places who provide the demand.

That's the thing with 'social issues' like this in autocracies, some people become expert at skirting around the rules. On which note even home-brewing beer is illegal in Singapore. They'll confiscate a home-brew kit at the border, together with a tobacco vape and any chewing gum you're carrying.

odysseus2000 wrote: Tesla stock by comparison looks a whole safer!

You reckon?

'Elon Musk’s high and Tesla’s low: Stock and bonds tumble on CEO’s latest shenanigans
Tesla Inc.’s stock tumbled Friday and its junk bonds slid to a fresh low after the electric-car maker’s chief accounting officer quit suddenly after about a month in the job and Chief Executive Elon Musk appeared to smoke a joint during a filmed interview.
The stock TSLA, -6.30% was down as much as 10% in early trade, trading as low as $252.25. It ended down 6.3% at $263.24, its lowest in five months, and down 15% for the year. '
[continues]
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/elon- ... ewer_click

QED/I wouldn't dream of investing in Tesla with a person of Musk's character in charge. When I worked for a US blue-chip one corporate mantra was 'The tone comes from the top'. Ie the corporate culture is created by the Board, who lead by example, and you will follow. Do you imagine Tesla staff are all puffing away at work?

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » September 10th, 2018, 1:40 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:QED/I wouldn't dream of investing in Tesla with a person of Musk's character in charge. When I worked for a US blue-chip one corporate mantra was 'The tone comes from the top'. Ie the corporate culture is created by the Board, who lead by example, and you will follow. Do you imagine Tesla staff are all puffing away at work?

NPR built a bot to trade based on Trump's twitter feed, I wonder if you could do something similar with a google alert on 'Elon Musk'.

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » September 10th, 2018, 2:31 pm

DiamondEcho
odysseus2000 wrote:
Judging by the number of people I come across who do use recreational drugs these kinds of policies must put people off visiting Singapore etc.

They're entirely unembarrassed, they do not want the kind of people who use recreational drugs visiting their country.

odysseus2000 wrote:
But then again I once met a couple who said they ran an illegal distillation operation in Saudi Arabia, saying it was a good business so no doubt there are folk who will take the risk along with the citizens of those places who provide the demand.

That's the thing with 'social issues' like this in autocracies, some people become expert at skirting around the rules. On which note even home-brewing beer is illegal in Singapore. They'll confiscate a home-brew kit at the border, together with a tobacco vape and any chewing gum you're carrying.

Most nations go through these phases just as the UK did under Cromwell with Puritanical rules and then someone else gets elected and chucks out the rules and every one goes back to the happier ways of living.

One might argue that Muslim countries have remained pork, alcohol etc free for long times and so they might continue, but things can change in big ways so I have no idea what will come.

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » September 10th, 2018, 9:04 pm

Tesla stock hits a low on Friday of $252.25, closes Monday at over $285

Not a good short play, whereas the shorts after the 'taking private tweet' did real well.

Regards,

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » September 12th, 2018, 5:03 pm

Former big bull on Tesla says the stock is 'no longer investable' due to Elon Musk's behavior

We have been one of the most bullish on TSLA shares since initiating coverage last October. … We continue to believe that Tesla could be a lot bigger than it is today," analyst Romit Shah said in a Tuesday note to clients entitled "No Longer Investable." "The issue though is the erratic behavior of CEO Elon Musk. During the second quarter, the switch seemingly flipped. … We are worried that this behavior is tainting the Tesla brand, which in terms of value is most important."

- https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/11/former- ... avior.html

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » September 13th, 2018, 10:18 am

BobbyD wrote:
Former big bull on Tesla says the stock is 'no longer investable' due to Elon Musk's behavior

We have been one of the most bullish on TSLA shares since initiating coverage last October. … We continue to believe that Tesla could be a lot bigger than it is today," analyst Romit Shah said in a Tuesday note to clients entitled "No Longer Investable." "The issue though is the erratic behavior of CEO Elon Musk. During the second quarter, the switch seemingly flipped. … We are worried that this behavior is tainting the Tesla brand, which in terms of value is most important."

- https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/11/former- ... avior.html

Meanwhile Tesla equity up nearly 4% on the day!

Regards,

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » September 13th, 2018, 1:57 pm

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Owning electric carmaker Tesla Inc’s shares is close to the riskiest it has ever been, data by options database and analytics firm OptionMetrics showed on Wednesday.

“If you own a long position in Tesla and you wanted to hedge it with an out-of-the-money put, it’s becoming more and more expensive,” said Garrett DeSimone, head of quantitative research at OptionMetrics.

“It is an indication that the market is concerned about large downside risk,” said DeSimone.

Put contracts conveying the right to sell the shares at $50 by Sept. 21, have grown to nearly 100,000 contracts from 37,000 contracts on Aug. 6, according to Thomson Reuters data. The January $50 puts have also logged an 11 percent increase over the same period.

- https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mark ... SKCN1LT0EK

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » September 13th, 2018, 2:20 pm

BobbyD wrote:
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Owning electric carmaker Tesla Inc’s shares is close to the riskiest it has ever been, data by options database and analytics firm OptionMetrics showed on Wednesday.

“If you own a long position in Tesla and you wanted to hedge it with an out-of-the-money put, it’s becoming more and more expensive,” said Garrett DeSimone, head of quantitative research at OptionMetrics.

“It is an indication that the market is concerned about large downside risk,” said DeSimone.

Put contracts conveying the right to sell the shares at $50 by Sept. 21, have grown to nearly 100,000 contracts from 37,000 contracts on Aug. 6, according to Thomson Reuters data. The January $50 puts have also logged an 11 percent increase over the same period.

- https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mark ... SKCN1LT0EK

Yes, brilliant analysis, telling anyone who reads it exactly what DeSimone thinks.

But how good is DeSimone's track record on Tesla?

What is the opposite view to this?

What is a trader supposed to make of it?

How would a trader place his/her money.

Most people, especially on the Lemon, won't have a clue how to deal with this information, won't know the context and are likely to made bad decisions based on reading it.

If I was looking at this I would be thinking, lots of folk short, that means the calls will be cheap, perhaps an opportunity to pick a few up when the odds of a bit of a move up in Tesla stock, based on the charts, is good. That is likely what many folk who post this kind of stuff will do: Post one thing and do the opposite or simply pocket the fee for the article and move on writing the next article. Anyone who held puts yesterday got hurt.

Regards,

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » September 17th, 2018, 11:58 pm

Elon Musk sued for libel by British Thai cave rescuer

...Mr Unsworth filed the suit in California. A separate suit will follow in London, the filing says.

"Musk's influence and wealth cannot convert his lies into truth or protect him from accountability for his wrongdoing in a court of law," Mr Unsworth's US attorney, L Lin Wood, said.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45551895

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » September 18th, 2018, 11:53 pm

Tesla being investigated for fraud by the DOJ alongside the on going SEC investigation.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ium-europe

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » September 19th, 2018, 12:06 pm

https://moneymaven.io/mishtalk/economic ... BnIEMAO0A/

VW planning to sell 150,000 electric cars in 2020!

John

Return to “Macro and Global Topics”