Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Musk endeavours

The Big Picture Place
DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Re: Musk endeavours

Postby DiamondEcho » September 8th, 2018, 9:48 am

I wouldn't buy a car from a company dominated by one person who's apparent character and lifestyle might destroy both himself and his company in the near-term. Another day another reckless headline: 'Tesla in turmoil after Elon Musk smokes marijuana on live show and top executives resign'. Tic toc...
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/ ... xecutives/

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » September 8th, 2018, 10:00 am

DiamondEcho wrote:I wouldn't buy a car from a company dominated by one person who's apparent character and lifestyle might destroy both himself and his company in the near-term. Another day another reckless headline: 'Tesla in turmoil after Elon Musk smokes marijuana on live show and top executives resign'. Tic toc...
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/ ... xecutives/

A very valid view point, but one tends to get wildness from the folk who change how the world runs. Steve Jobs was, according to contemporaries, not the easiest of people to deal with and yet we only remember what he achieved. Many loathed and hated Churchill for his wild acts, crossing the commons, his military adventure in Turkey, singing the French fleet etc etc, but what do we remember? Edison for his going around electrocuting people and animals including elephants to prove how dangerous was his rivals power supply. Ford for his religious zeal and for paying his workers more. Bill Gates for his re-defining of most everything to make windows a fully proprietary product only undercut by open source and Mac after he had made his billions and now all we remember is windows and his charity. Lord Sugar for his cheap as possible electronics with some great products and some less great and his unhappy ownership of Spurs, but now we think of him as a business titan.

If we had had social media like now when these and many others were doing their stuff we would likely have viewed them differently, yet all of them did leave better things behind.

Regards,

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » September 8th, 2018, 2:03 pm

I'd be interested to know how feasible it would be for Musk to be removed from his role running Tesla. His recent actions do not seem to be reflective of rational behaviour and I suspect that he is suffering from serious psychological problems. I interpret his recent actions as self-sabotage with the intended outcome his removal from running Tesla. Of course I could be wrong.

RC

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » September 8th, 2018, 2:39 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:I'd be interested to know how feasible it would be for Musk to be removed from his role running Tesla. His recent actions do not seem to be reflective of rational behaviour and I suspect that he is suffering from serious psychological problems. I interpret his recent actions as self-sabotage with the intended outcome his removal from running Tesla. Of course I could be wrong.

RC

Very easy to fire Musk, board just has to agree.

But if Musk is fired I expect the price of Tesla stock to collapse as they are nothing without him.

One saw Apple dive after Jobs was fired, Wynn down after Steve Wynn fired,...

Musk's recent media coverage is imho the collective efforts of many vested interest to get him fired.

They might succeed & kill Tesla, but having studied him & watched the infamous pod cast it is hard for me to believe it is very probable.

If I wanted to short an auto I would more likely short BMW, but better imho to be long Tesla.

Regards,

PeterGray
Lemon Slice

Postby PeterGray » September 8th, 2018, 3:56 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:
ReformedCharacter wrote:I'd be interested to know how feasible it would be for Musk to be removed from his role running Tesla. His recent actions do not seem to be reflective of rational behaviour and I suspect that he is suffering from serious psychological problems. I interpret his recent actions as self-sabotage with the intended outcome his removal from running Tesla. Of course I could be wrong.

RC

But if Musk is fired I expect the price of Tesla stock to collapse as they are nothing without him.

I'd disagree, given the current state of the company - models being produced, apparently reasonably successfully, I'd say a strong case could be made for Tesla being a lot better off with a fairly boring management team with good engineering, production and administration experience and ability

Peter

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » September 8th, 2018, 4:29 pm

PeterGray wrote:I'd disagree, given the current state of the company - models being produced, apparently reasonably successfully, I'd say a strong case could be made for Tesla being a lot better off with a fairly boring management team with good engineering, production and administration experience and ability

You mean more like SpaceX which is boringly successful?

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » September 8th, 2018, 5:13 pm

SOBERING EFFECT ON INVESTORS

Tesla’s $1.8 billion junk bond maturing in August 2025 plunged as much as 4 cents on the dollar to below 82 cents, a record low, in Friday trading, pushing the yield above 8.8 percent.

Coupled with an upfront cost of 21 percent of insured value, it now costs an investor around $280,000 to insure $1 million of Tesla debt for a year.

With Tesla’s stock falling to its lowest level since April, short sellers added 810,000 shares to their positions, bringing the total as of Thursday to about 32.6 million shares, according to S3 Partners, a financial technology and analytics firm.

- https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesl ... SKCN1LN1MH

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » September 8th, 2018, 5:44 pm

PeterGray wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:

RC

I'd disagree, given the current state of the company - models being produced, apparently reasonably successfully, I'd say a strong case could be made for Tesla being a lot better off with a fairly boring management team with good engineering, production and administration experience and ability

Peter

This was the argument made by the Apple board when they fired Steve Jobs.

Didn't work out too well.

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » September 8th, 2018, 5:50 pm

BobbyD wrote:
SOBERING EFFECT ON INVESTORS

Tesla’s $1.8 billion junk bond maturing in August 2025 plunged as much as 4 cents on the dollar to below 82 cents, a record low, in Friday trading, pushing the yield above 8.8 percent.

Coupled with an upfront cost of 21 percent of insured value, it now costs an investor around $280,000 to insure $1 million of Tesla debt for a year.

With Tesla’s stock falling to its lowest level since April, short sellers added 810,000 shares to their positions, bringing the total as of Thursday to about 32.6 million shares, according to S3 Partners, a financial technology and analytics firm.

- https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesl ... SKCN1LN1MH

If these numbers are right, the number of shares short is down from the 34.7 million short in July:

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/TSLA/ke ... ics?p=TSLA

Regards,

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » September 8th, 2018, 7:56 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:Musk's recent media coverage is imho the collective efforts of many vested interest to get him fired.

You don't think publicly going on radio/media puffing on 'a fat one' in a mostly highly conservative country is innappropriate for a company chairman?
I give him max 3 years before he's killed himself. And what's the company without this '''visionary''' helming it?

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » September 8th, 2018, 8:31 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:Musk's recent media coverage is imho the collective efforts of many vested interest to get him fired.

You don't think publicly going on radio/media puffing on 'a fat one' in a mostly highly conservative country is innappropriate for a company chairman?
I give him max 3 years before he's killed himself. And what's the company without this '''visionary''' helming it?

It would have been convenient if the resignations and the podcast had been better separated. I very much doubt that in isolation the podcast would have had much effect, and that any effect it has had is in light of Musk's apparent continuing instability. No state laws were broken, right to a private life etc, most Tesla shareholders don't use a set square to perfectly align their corners in the bathroom mirror every morning... Your chief accounting officer makes it a month in the roll before quitting and isn't biologically capable of getting pregnant on the otherhand...

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » September 8th, 2018, 9:02 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:

Having watched the pod cast I was left with the impression that this interview will do him nothing but good. He accepted the legal tobacco and weed, took a puff, didn't find it did anything for him and gave it back. There was no irrationality, no wild emotion just the passion of wanting to make the world better and he praised the US justice system, law enforcement and the military. He came over as calm and at the top of his game. I urge any one interested in Musk to watch the pod cast.

The finance officer going was more of a trouble but he had hardly been there long enough to have any real ideas of how Tesla was doing and if he thought there were accounts issue here was an opportunity to make himself out as the one who brought down Musk, but he made nothing of the accounts saying he was going for personal reasons of not liking the intense media scrutiny etc.

Things now depend on the sales figures which although no official announcement, they look like they are pretty good and if so this de-risks Tesla enormously.

Regards,

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » September 8th, 2018, 9:44 pm

In the end it appears to be a question of making sufficient cars. The other issues are subservient to that.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » September 9th, 2018, 1:56 am

odysseus2000 wrote:He accepted the legal tobacco and weed

It's legal at state level, but it's still a schedule 1 controlled substance whose use and distribution are offences carrying mandatory minimums under Federal law so can't be described as legal.

johnhemming wrote:In the end it appears to be a question of making sufficient cars. The other issues are subservient to that.

The ability to produce sufficient cars is necessary, but so is having a competitive product two, three, four generations further down the track. The market is about to get seriously competitive with companies who have wide and well funded product pipelines, Tesla, according to Musk in one of the interviews posted here don't, and effectively have their future projects stacked up in a holding pattern awaiting a decision on which to pursue next. There's already been talk of significant improvements like the charging standard and network agreed by Ford and German manufacturers. If every major motor manufacturer competing for ev sales results in improved ev's can Tesla keep up with the pace? They would seem to be in a position where every egg they lay for the foreseeable has to be golden.

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » September 9th, 2018, 6:29 am

BobbyD wrote:can Tesla keep up with the pace?

I have not invested nor have I bought the car (I need a vehicle that will transport my keyboard, guitar and PA to gigs) they do, however, appear considerably more innovative than the majors.

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » September 9th, 2018, 8:20 am

BobbyD
It's legal at state level, but it's still a schedule 1 controlled substance whose use and distribution are offences carrying mandatory minimums under Federal law so can't be described as legal.

Are you are saying something is legal & illegal at the same time? Surely it depends where you are.

The US constitution allows State Rights, which means that each State has the ability to determine what is legal in its State. Federal agencies can strike down State laws, but as I understand it, have not done so for consumption of 'weed' with several States now allowing 'weed' to be smoked. Going across State lines is another matter, just as e.g. Some recreational drugs are legal in certain European countries & illegal in others.

If there was any opportunity to arrest Musk many of the haters would be attempting to get him arrested now & as far as I know no warrants for his arrest exist.

Regards,

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » September 9th, 2018, 9:41 am

odysseus2000 wrote: He accepted the legal tobacco and weed, took a puff, didn't find it did anything for him and gave it back.

Are you really suggesting that this was the first time Musk had had a toke?

As to the rest of it i would agree that it is no big deal.

John

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 9th, 2018, 9:49 am

odysseus2000 wrote:The US constitution allows State Rights, which means that each State has the ability to determine what is legal in its State. Federal agencies can strike down State laws, but as I understand it, have not done so for consumption of 'weed' with several States now allowing 'weed' to be smoked. Going across State lines is another matter, just as e.g. Some recreational drugs are legal in certain European countries & illegal in others.

I was not aware that a Federal agency can strike down a State law, but SCOTUS certainly can and often does. It can also strike down a Federal law of course.

The Feds do sometimes raid a pot facility in a State where it is legal. There is a prior discussion between the DEA and the local LEO's to ensure the city cops or county sheriffs know this is happening, so they don't start shooting at each other.

It's rare though and I don't believe it has happened in California since pot became fully legal last year. Musk will be fine on this, and will find another way of imploding.

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » September 9th, 2018, 10:42 am

Lootman wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:The US constitution allows State Rights, which means that each State has the ability to determine what is legal in its State. Federal agencies can strike down State laws, but as I understand it, have not done so for consumption of 'weed' with several States now allowing 'weed' to be smoked. Going across State lines is another matter, just as e.g. Some recreational drugs are legal in certain European countries & illegal in others.

I was not aware that a Federal agency can strike down a State law, but SCOTUS certainly can and often does. It can also strike down a Federal law of course.

The Feds do sometimes raid a pot facility in a State where it is legal. There is a prior discussion between the DEA and the local LEO's to ensure the city cops or county sheriffs know this is happening, so they don't start shooting at each other.

It's rare though and I don't believe it has happened in California since pot became fully legal last year. Musk will be fine on this, and will find another way of imploding.

By Federal agency I was meaning that a federal agency can apply to the Supreme Court via the attorney general (?) to overturn a State law. Sure a Federal agency just acting on its own belief can't, at least as I understand it act just because it feels like it, but then I get confused over when things become a Federal issue and whether the Federal agents need State permission to act. E.g. if the Feds believe that a business is not paying its correct Federal taxes, can the Feds raid the business. Dunno, its all very confusing to me as to when the FBI can get involved and on top of that is the various levels of State police, State Troupers and where they can and can't act. Meanwhile the University where I worked had its own security, as did Nasa as did the [expletive deleted] where the NASA site was.

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » September 9th, 2018, 10:46 am

FredBloggs wrote:I understand last week, Mercedes Benz launched their first electric car. No doubt others will not be far behind, Lexus etc.... If I were Musk, I'd be worried.

Musk's whole game plan was to switch the world to renewable transportation and he has long expected this to happen.

All the legacy makers have resisted given all their investment in hybrids and straight gas, but the sales declines of their brands, such as BMW in the US, has convinced them that they have to go electric and so they are ramping up their models but it will be a few years before the folk who put down deposits on their electric Mercedes will be able to get one. Meanwhile Tesla have cars now and also a big battery factory and another being built in China.

Regards,

Return to “Macro and Global Topics”