Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Musk endeavours

The Big Picture Place
odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Re: Musk endeavours

Postby odysseus2000 » July 25th, 2018, 7:34 pm

If you look at a VW Tiguan, it doesn't come out of these tests well:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/ratings

3 out of 5 for frontal crash
4 out of 5 for rollover.

Tesla model X got 5 * for everything.

Regards,

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » July 25th, 2018, 8:20 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:If you look at a VW Tiguan, it doesn't come out of these tests well:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/ratings

3 out of 5 for frontal crash
4 out of 5 for rollover.

Tesla model X got 5 * for everything.

Regards,

Tiguan gets a 5 star on the NCAP... https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/vw/tiguan/24845

BEST IN CLASS CARS OF 2017 - 3 out of 7 catefgories topped by a VW... https://www.euroncap.com/en/ratings-rew ... cars/2017/

Model S for comparison: https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/tesla/model-s/7897

Best rated car in Model S' scategory: https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/vw/arteon/27324

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » July 25th, 2018, 10:07 pm

So European tester give good marks to European cars, US testers give worse marks to European cars.

Can one rely on relative measurement, i.e. do Europe and US agree on relative performance.

Don't seem to.

Who do you believe?

Regards,

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » July 26th, 2018, 12:15 am

odysseus2000 wrote:So European tester give good marks to European cars, US testers give worse marks to European cars.

Can one rely on relative measurement, i.e. do Europe and US agree on relative performance.

Don't seem to.

Who do you believe?

Regards,

Firstly that's not true, IIHS are American not European so VW cars are rated highly on both sides of the pond, even if you count 4/5 as a bad rating... moreover it's somewhat irrelevant since whatever their safety rating they sell over 10 million of them a year...

Secondly US and European safety measures have different emphasis, to the extent that parts require switching out if non-US manufacturers can even be bothered to adapt their car for the US market, so this isn't two different examiners marking the same test it's two different examiners marking two different tests. There is no necessitated contradiction.

I don't believe anybody, but I know the safety ratings on VW cars are good enough.

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » July 26th, 2018, 12:32 am

BobbyD
Firstly that's not true, IIHS are American not European so VW cars are rated highly on both sides of the pond, even if you count 4/5 as a bad rating... moreover it's somewhat irrelevant since whatever their safety rating they sell over 10 million of them a year...

Sure they sell well now, the question is will they continue to see well even with significantly worse safety, old layouts such as the Golf with just a different engine and batteries and not designed from the bottom up as an electric car.

Secondly US and European safety measures have different emphasis, to the extent that parts require switching out if non-US manufacturers can even be bothered to adapt their car for the US market, so this isn't two different examiners marking the same test it's two different examiners marking two different tests. There is no necessitated contradiction.

I don't believe anybody, but I know the safety ratings on VW cars are good enough.

Yes, but its all about perception, if there are two tests and one gives VW only 80% of its competitor and VW has upset folk with its emission cheating making the odds of folk wanting to buy a VW less than otherwise might be. You might know that the safety rating on VW are good enough, but its more that they were good enough, with new competition its far from clear that this will remain.

Regards,

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » July 26th, 2018, 6:42 am

odysseus2000 wrote:Sure they sell well now, the question is will they continue to see well even with significantly worse safety, old layouts such as the Golf with just a different engine and batteries and not designed from the bottom up as an electric car.

Right question, wrong target. Sure Tesla take a lot of orders* now, but will they still take lots of orders when companies which actually know how to produce cars are offering more technologically advanced models in the same price bracket, based on platforms specifically designed as electric vehicles, and actually delivering them to customers?

odysseus2000 wrote:Yes, but its all about perception, if there are two tests and one gives VW only 80% of its competitor and VW has upset folk with its emission cheating making the odds of folk wanting to buy a VW less than otherwise might be. You might know that the safety rating on VW are good enough, but its more that they were good enough, with new competition its far from clear that this will remain.

Those would be the people who were so upset by Dieslegate that they buy more VW's a year now than they did before Dieselgate? I think the moment has passed for that argument. And which Tesla is new?

* A lot for non-Big Car. Their most successful production quarter so far pro rata'd up to a year would be equivalent to about 4 days of VW sales.

PeterGray
Lemon Slice

Postby PeterGray » July 26th, 2018, 9:19 am

old layouts such as the Golf with just a different engine and batteries and not designed from the bottom up as an electric car.

Ody, big manufacturers are already making electric cars designed from the ground up as electric, in larger numbers than Tesla in the case of Nissan.

We're already seeing Jaguar and Porsche with ground up designed performance cars coming through. Your belief that big auto isn't capable of, and isn't already, designing electric cars from the ground up is based on a fantasy. You criticise those who criticise Musk, but your bias towards him and Tesla is massive.

Peter

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 26th, 2018, 9:41 am

odysseus2000 wrote:
Sure they sell well now, the question is will they continue to see well even with significantly worse safety, old layouts such as the Golf with just a different engine and batteries and not designed from the bottom up as an electric car.

BMW with its i3 and i8 seem to be on the case.

John

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » July 27th, 2018, 5:01 am

Wall Street seizes on another front to bet against Tesla
Trading volumes in credit default swaps tied to the electric carmaker have jumped

https://www.ft.com/content/44c7e38c-905 ... 80cedcc421

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Wall+ ... e&ie=UTF-8

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » July 27th, 2018, 5:23 am

also:

Musk and Tesla are not inseparable

https://ftalphaville.ft.com/2018/07/27/ ... separable/

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » July 27th, 2018, 9:12 pm

Interesting article in the Guardian today, where their Energy Correspondent Adam Vaughan drove from Brighton to Edinburgh in a Tesla, and detailed some of the issues he had, especially with the granular charging infrastructure currently delivered in the UK -

“Oh, I rarely use those,” said Manoj Varathodiyil, gesturing at a pair of public electric car chargers at a West Midlands service station.

Instead, the GP has plugged his car into a “supercharger”, one of a network built by US electric carmaker Tesla, exclusively for the use of the firm’s customers. Varathodiyil, who went electric because of concerns over air pollution and fossil fuels, is one of Britain’s vanguard of 160,000 early adopters learning to live with a plug-in car.

Most of those drivers charge at home (87%) and work (8%). But the government wants to ban sales of new petrol and diesel cars by 2040 and recently laid out its Road to zero plan for getting there, envisaging “a massive expansion” of public chargers. For the 43% of households without off-street parking, that infrastructure will be vital if electric cars are to become the future norm.

But what about today? Is the road to zero riddled with potholes? To test the state of infrastructure now, the Guardian embarked on a grand tour of Britain’s car parks, service stations and hotels by driving an electric car from Brighton to Edinburgh.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... -edinburgh

An interesting read for anyone keen on the technology. Apparently the UK networks currently have 17,281 charging connectors in seven different connection-configurations, and woe-betide if you're stuck with having to use a slow-charger for part of your journey top-up....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » August 3rd, 2018, 1:54 pm

Tesla short sellers lose $1.7bn as shares soar 16pc:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/ ... soar-16pc/

RC

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » August 7th, 2018, 6:55 pm

I am abroad doing volunteer work and having a vacation from posting, but this Musk tweet caused me to have such a smile that I felt compelled to post it here:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1026872652290379776

If Musk does this then it will be an issue for the shorts, and there are a lot of them.

If he takes Tesla private via open market buy he can lock up shares and refuse loans. Anyone short now has the rest of the day to cover or knows something I don't, but if loans are refused shorts will have to cover but they will likely have to do so at well above the $420 buy back.

Of course it might not be an open market buy, but even so with funding in place at $420 all the short arguments are kaput.

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » August 7th, 2018, 9:09 pm

This gets more and more fun:

https://www.tesla.com/blog/taking-tesla ... edirect=no

Very nice that he is happy to let shareholders continue to hold

The closest analogy that comes to mind is when Branson floated part of Virgin and the price went down and so he just bought the whole business back
at the offer price, giving everyone who was underwater at least their money back.

Since that time Virgin has gone from strength to strength and the value of a share would be very substantially more than was paid at the buyback.

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » August 8th, 2018, 8:33 am

Interesting discussions all over re this, with a bunch of folk in disbelief and shorting more, or saying they are.

Imho anyone who is shorting more here, better have some serious and detailed knowledge that is well beyond anything I have. This is possible, but if they haven't I have to wonder if they are just trying to bait in mugs.

One issue is the funding. Musk said he has funding in place, but hasn't filed any forms to say so, but as this is about taking Tesla private it could all be a cashless transfer, i.e. 1 new private share for each existing public share.

All in all I like the proposal greatly, again referencing everything to Branson's decision to take Virgin back private. Removing Tesla stock from the public market place means that there is no point to anyone trying to trash the company having gone short and decisions can be made without having to deal with the needs to keep folk happy during the quarterly reports.

There are many folk who question everything and anything and the surge in this kind of posting on social media has been very interesting, but as things are I feel sorry that these folk are either trying to hurt other folk or that they are so deluded.

Regards,

PeterGray
Lemon Slice

Postby PeterGray » August 8th, 2018, 9:29 am

Seems to make good sense to me.

Well, it would certainly make sense to him, he wouldn't have to do all that "boring" stuff like justifying himself to analysts and shareholders, and thinking before he tweets. Whether it's likely to be a good long terms outcome for Tesla is perhaps a different issue!

Peter

toofast2live
Lemon Slice

Postby toofast2live » August 8th, 2018, 9:41 am

I have never been involved with a 75B$ deal, but believe me when I say that a 100M$ dollar deal involves a large army of lawyers and bankers. No way has he got the funding securely in place. Tweeting can be bad for your health!

Unless you see proof of funds and a term sheet I would return to taking the Kool Aid
Last edited by toofast2live on August 8th, 2018, 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PeterGray
Lemon Slice

Postby PeterGray » August 8th, 2018, 9:43 am

Meatyfool
Lemon Slice

Postby Meatyfool » August 8th, 2018, 9:48 am

If the "funding secured" refers to the Saudi sovereign wealth fund (and that still is a big if), then having a very deep pocket does mean that he can fund *ALL* of his big ideas at once and steal a march on the competitors who *ARE* catching up.

If he can fund the semi, Model Y and all the other big ideas he has lined up without having to deal with short term thinkers ...

As it is a sovereign wealth fund, one would hope they are long term thinkers!

Meatyfool..

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » August 8th, 2018, 12:52 pm

toofast2live wrote:I have never been involved with a 75B$ deal, but believe me when I say that a 100M$ dollar deal involves a large army of lawyers and bankers. No way has he got the funding securely in place. Tweeting can be bad for your health!

Unless you see proof of funds and a term sheet I would return to taking the Kool Aid

Set to reopen $40 below offer price, so your reservations don't appear to be lonely.

Although if that is the case then there's talk of market manipulation repercussions which would be unpleasant.

Return to “Macro and Global Topics”