Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Musk endeavours

The Big Picture Place
dspp
Lemon Half

Re: Musk endeavours

Postby dspp » April 18th, 2019, 2:36 pm

This Tesla autopilot article contains much wish fulfillment, maybe even enough for 02000, but nonetheless is interesting in setting the potential scale and making the link to ride hailing valuations.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/425469 ... tive-asset

- dspp

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » April 18th, 2019, 2:41 pm

"Imho for now it is Tesla's game to lose, if they continue to execute & sell then their technical lead over all other manufacturers will grow them into a very big business."

The article on Seeking Alpha about Tesla's relationship with Panasonic suggests that the latter hold the strongest negotiating position. Much of "Tesla's technical lead" may in fact belong to Panasonic.

Let's hope Tesla can afford to pay their battery supplier to provide this technical lead as their sales of all models appear to struggle. Tesla are a minor customer for Panasonic in the scheme of things.

regards

Howard

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » April 18th, 2019, 3:06 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:Every competitor & his dog wants Tesla dead, but at the same time doesn't want to cripple their own legacy business, by trying to compete with good models, hence the slew of 3rd cars coming out of Germany & the endless pleading with politicians to give them more time, tax funded charging networks etc

Why? If you gave VW, Toyota, Renault/Nissan etc. a free shot to remove any one competitor do you really think that they would waste it on Tesla who produce an insignificant number of cars which they can't deliver or supply at a profit and who may well die of self inflicted wounds in the short/medium term?

Again, A pro-Tesla bod complaining about government subsidy, I'm surprised you have the cheek! Ignoring US Federal loans of $450 million, and tax credits for purchasing a Tesla I'm sure Musk hasn't talked to anybody involved in the recent attempt to expand the US BEV credit...

Atleast VW were campaigning for subsidised charging of very cheap electric cars, which would aid popular uptake rather than giving executives cashback on their toy purchases.

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » April 18th, 2019, 6:12 pm

dspp wrote:This Tesla autopilot article contains much wish fulfillment, maybe even enough for 02000, but nonetheless is interesting in setting the potential scale and making the link to ride hailing valuations.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/425469 ... tive-asset

- dspp

Yes, if this is anything like the future then Tesla stock is currently exceptionally cheap.

Therein lies the quandary for most investors will do the sorts of comparisons that Howard and BobbyD have done and dismiss Tesla as insignificant. Moreover, I am reasonably confident that many other investors will take the view that shorting Tesla is free money. These guys might be right, but if not things are again setting up for a beautiful short squeeze.

From my studies of secular disrupters, there is the commonality that almost all the commentary is negative. I saw this on the re-birth of Apple and believed it, took profits and although i made out super well, had I realised what was happening I would have made out like a bandit. I would not like to make that mistake again.

A very similar things happened with Netflix, everyone and his dog told me that one could not stream movies over the net, but many hundreds of % later in equity appreciation, it is clear one can.

Amazon was another where most everyone was convinced that they could not make any money, now Bezos has his own rocket company.

On the other side I recall folk telling me that the UK car industry had to survive and that the upstarts from Japan were not built for the size of UK drivers, but although folk have slowly got bigger, we no longer have a UK car industry and folk swear by the reliability of Japanese marques. What was left of our own industry was sold for £1 and then asset stripped very rapidly and the site of a big production facility near me is now full of newly built houses.

I can remember Kodak dominating all things photographic, now they are a sliver of what they were.

I can remember when Scandinavian phone makers dominated the mobile phone industry, then how Blackberry began to eat them up and then Apple ate the lot of them, spitting out the odd remnant that splutters along.

There are very many other examples of where upstarts created secular change, were derided as rubbish and became dominant.

So I love to hear all the negativity and the certainty that legacy will survive and that Tesla must fail.

Regards,

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » April 18th, 2019, 8:11 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:So I love to hear all the negativity and the certainty that legacy will survive and that Tesla must fail.

You need to get your hearing checked Ody.

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » April 19th, 2019, 9:30 am

Audi can't get batteries:

http://brusselstimes.com/brussels/15017 ... production

Maybe they should try Panasonic!

Regards,

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » April 19th, 2019, 11:06 am

odysseus2000 wrote:Audi can't get batteries:

http://brusselstimes.com/brussels/15017 ... production

Maybe they should try Panasonic!

Regards,

Only 45,000 $70,000 20th century Frankenstein clunkers to sit sad, unsold and unloved on a storage lot in the middle of nowhere... LG must be saving Audi a fortune!

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » April 20th, 2019, 9:50 am

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » April 20th, 2019, 10:37 am

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » April 20th, 2019, 1:27 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:Board changes at Tesla:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla-sh ... 38146.html

Regards,

On the very day the Musk/SEC negotiations about the completely baseless accusations about breaching the Tesla/SEC agreement to settle the 'no case to answer' $420 tweet are given an extra week to find a resolution by the judge ...and Musk loses 3 stalwart defenders in the process.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 21st, 2019, 8:28 am

Here is a video on how to make your Tesla model 3 more like a premium car. I assume this is serious and not some sort of spoof.
I can't quite believe that the Tesla lacks something that any car should have...effective door seals!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTPBVPJ_ZTg

John

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » April 21st, 2019, 1:03 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Here is a video on how to make your Tesla model 3 more like a premium car. I assume this is serious and not some sort of spoof.

The folks at TMC have dedicated atleast 8 pages to the same thing: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... an.141218/

redsturgeon wrote:I can't quite believe that the Tesla lacks something that any car should have...effective door seals!

I'm not sure why, it seems entirely consistent with Tesla's mindset of adding a series of "another cool thing"s to a project without ever sitting down to work out what the basic essentials are. I'm surprised they have doors at all!

Archtronics
Lemon Pip

Postby Archtronics » April 21st, 2019, 5:58 pm

Isn’t that because Musk and Co’s philosophy isn’t about building companies for the sake of making money.
He has said quite a few times is he is only interested in creating competition to drive down the cost of future technologies and encourage other companies.

It wouldn’t be that surprising if they shelved the car making part eventually, once the big guys catch up.

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » April 21st, 2019, 6:15 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Here is a video on how to make your Tesla model 3 more like a premium car. I assume this is serious and not some sort of spoof.
I can't quite believe that the Tesla lacks something that any car should have...effective door seals!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTPBVPJ_ZTg

John

A number of owners and testers have remarked how noisy the Tesla 3 is on the road. You will remember the German owner who remarked that it was noisier than his Golf.

Modern premium cars are well sealed and as well as making them very quiet this keeps the inside of the doors clean. It seems a pity to produce an electric car with excess road noise.

Time will tell if this will affect second hand values.

regards

Howard

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » April 21st, 2019, 6:16 pm

Archtronics wrote:Isn’t that because Musk and Co’s philosophy isn’t about building companies for the sake of making money.
He has said quite a few times is he is only interested in creating competition to drive down the cost of future technologies and encourage other companies.

It wouldn’t be that surprising if they shelved the car making part eventually, once the big guys catch up.

I think Musk is way to emotionally invested in Tesla to ever concede that anybody makes a car half as good, but yes I think the fact that they don't approach their cars as the basis for a sustainable business but as some mish mash between nerd glory and eco-capitalism perfectly explains both the strong and weak parts of the company and its products.

Besides can you imagine the fan boy backlash if Musk vacated the car building game and left it to Evil Legacy Auto. He'd have to go in to the witness protection scheme!

Archtronics
Lemon Pip

Postby Archtronics » April 21st, 2019, 9:33 pm

BobbyD wrote:
Archtronics wrote:Isn’t that because Musk and Co’s philosophy isn’t about building companies for the sake of making money.

I think Musk is way to emotionally invested in Tesla to ever concede that anybody makes a car half as good, but yes I think the fact that they don't approach their cars as the basis for a sustainable business but as some mish mash between nerd glory and eco-capitalism perfectly explains both the strong and weak parts of the company and its products.

Besides can you imagine the fan boy backlash if Musk vacated the car building game and left it to Evil Legacy Auto. He'd have to go in to the witness protection scheme!

Haha yeah they will be freaking out if he ever sells off his position.

It’s bound to happen tho, I can’t imagine him sticking around if Tesla ever makes it to become a boring car maker churning out slightly better models every year.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » April 22nd, 2019, 8:58 am

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... rt-seller/

Tesla takes out restraining order on short seller

Tesla has been granted a restraining order against an alleged short-seller, accusing him of repeatedly harassing its workers and almost causing a car accident ahead of an investor event.

The electric car manufacturer alleged that Randeep Hothi trespassed on Tesla’s facilities to take photos and videos, hit a security guard with his vehicle and interfered with one of its cars filming a demo ahead of an investor event. Court documents revealed Tesla claimed that Mr Hothi pursued a Model 3 vehicle mounted with camera equipment for 35 minutes, swerving “dangerously close” to the car and triggering its emergency system to avoid a collision.

You can't read any more without being a subscriber, but that is the essence of the story.

TJH

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » April 22nd, 2019, 1:41 pm

tjh290633 wrote:You can't read any more without being a subscriber...

No subscription needed to read the Guardian though...

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... ort-seller

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » April 22nd, 2019, 3:58 pm

Also in the guardian

Tesla investigates video of Model S car exploding

The video, widely shared on China’s Twitter-like Weibo, shows the parked EV emit smoke and burst into flames seconds later

Tesla has sent a team to investigate a video on Chinese social media which showed a parked Tesla Model S car exploding, the latest in a string of fire incidents involving the company’s cars.

- https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... -exploding

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 22nd, 2019, 6:24 pm

Can this be true that the total CO2 emission for the life of an EV will be greater than some diesels!

http://brusselstimes.com/business/techn ... tudy-shows

John

Return to “Macro and Global Topics”