Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Musk endeavours

The Big Picture Place
odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Re: Musk endeavours

Postby odysseus2000 » May 12th, 2019, 1:28 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Here's how the Chinese go quietly about producing real EVs by the thousand, no fuss, no hype no tweets!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... hyperdrive

The photo of taxis being recharged is interesting!

John

Great article which imho shows just how far Europe is behind the curve & what is coming competition for German legacy. I have argued for a while that the transition will go quickly as do the Chinese. Folk who think it will take decades are imho severely ignorant of modern production methods.

Regards,

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » May 12th, 2019, 2:44 pm

PeterGray wrote:Musk keeps trying to justify himself, or excuse his more outrageous remarks, by effectively saying you shouldn't take anything he tweets seriously. It's good to see he's got called out here. But it is truly remarkable behaviour from CEO of a what claims to be a serious car manufacturer.

The guy is asking for $75,000 and a commitment that Musk won't defame him on social media again.

That the board haven't put Musk back in his box over this and quietly paid him off reflects badly on both him and the company.

If Musk wants his tweeting to be seen as a joke he should have his twitter feed decertified as an officially recognised method of disseminating price sensitive information.

onthemove
Lemon Slice

Postby onthemove » May 12th, 2019, 11:38 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:Tesla auto pilot in uk city driving: Impressive but still needing some manual human interventions. Can it be developed to go to full no steering wheel driving?
https://youtu.be/sk0eZRVw9x4
Regards,

Thanks for the link. Very informative video. But also sadly rather disappointing.

When you hear stories about Tesla's supposedly being pulled over by the police with a driver completely out of it drunk, yet the car didn't crash (https://www.afr.com/news/world/north-am ... 203-h18mnh ) (*), and so on, you get the impression that Tesla's autopilot is almost autonomous driving, only without the final nod of approval to call it such.

But that video completely obliterates that perception in my mind.

I think the driver is perhaps being a bit too generous - I presume the car is his own, purchased with his own money (?) so perhaps there's an element of post purchase justification.

For me, the whole plus of self driving is being able to hand over to the car to do the full commute in exactly conditions like that ... slow moving traffic, crawling from traffic light to traffic light. Who wouldn't want to be sitting back and reading a book (or whatever) and letting the car deal with the traffic?

But for Tesla. they clearly still have a long way to go.

At one point when a car pulled in front of him from the left lane, the driver had to take over and admitted he felt that if he hadn't it probably would have crashed.

Most worrying of all, is that it didn't spot the cyclist (@15.30 he was clearly there in reality and easily visible). The driver did try to convince us he thought the car reacted, but a little too late. I'm not even convinced by that. The cyclist was simply not being shown in the 3d surroundings model. The car should have been flagging the cyclist as present and a high risk a reasonable distance prior - well in enough time to take appropriate action - the highway code specifically says that you must overtake cyclists with plenty of room, incase they need to swerve for a pothole or similar. That Tesla didn't even spot the cyclist, let alone manouvre in a manner that followed the highway code advice.

Nor did the car seem to properly spot the people crossing @11.00minutes in. The driver seemed pleased it fleetingly spotted the person crossing. That's unacceptable ... it needs to be solidly and stably detecting a person in that situation.

Similarly at 10.43, the model shows one single person stood at the side of the road, and bizarrely one stood right in front of the car in front of him that's moving. Yet in reality you can see at least 10 people, all of whom are in a position where they wish to cross the road and at a high risk of stepping out.

And that is simply unacceptable for any car that even pretends to be autonomous.

It's exactly those situations (people and cyclists) why I believe that lidar (or equivalent) will have to be a regulatory 'must'.

That Tesla was quite simply not identifying, and therefore not taking properly into account some of the biggest risks. In those situations (town centres) pedestrians and cyclists are by far the most important things as a driver you need to be watching out for. And that car simply didn't even appear to be seeing that they were even there.

In contrast...

Now I'll fully admit I've not seen real world - independent - evidence uncensored by google / waymo, but here's a video posted by Waymo themselves (so obviously not impartial, and the video will have been carefully selected - I acknowledge that)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... u8gmFhiGko

That video shows the system much more confidently recognising each individual person. And most importantly, keeping a stable representation of them in their representation of the world around the car, that indicates it wasn't just a fleeting 'maybe' that seemed to be quite common in the Tesla video ... although in most cases, I don't think that Tesla video 3d representation really seemed to show all that much as being 'stably' recognised at all!!...

... when waiting at the lights, the Tesla couldn't even stably see the car right in front of it! ... i.e. between the lorry on the left, and the lorry in front of the car in front - the car a few feet in front wasn't even being shown briefly @ 8.32 into the video! And then it showed it drift left completely into the lorry, while in reality both the car and lorry were both stationary!! That's a blooming great car, not even a small cyclist, and it's only a few feet in front of it and it can't even recognise it as being definitely there! That's completely unacceptable! ...

... If Musk wants to convince us that Lidar isn't needed, then his autopilot needs to do a heck of a lot better than that!

Here's a video of a Waymo car not just positively and clearly identifying a cyclist, but also the 3d model already showing a prediction of the expected cyclist's behaviour, and the car giving the cyclist room for the cyclist to perform the expected manoeuvre. That seems to be light years ahead of what we're seeing in that Tesla video where it didn't even recognise the cyclist in the first place!...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG_O4RyQqGE

In the Tesla video, the driver had to take over fairly often in just a few miles.

Here's the status for Waymo (though again, admittedly this won't all be on city streets)...

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/waym ... oad-users/
"Waymo not only led all other companies in total miles driven in the state but also turned in the best performance, as measured by disengagements — instances when the autonomous system required the human autonomous vehicle test driver to take immediate manual control. The Waymo driver went 11,017 miles between disengagements while the second place performer, GM’s Cruise technology, reported disengagement every 5,205 miles. Most companies in the California report traveled much shorter distances between times when the human had to take over. Apple’s self-driving testers, for example, disengaged every 1.1 miles."

Here's another example of where Waymo's at ...

https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/5/1812 ... t-cost-app

If you compare where Waymo appears to be at, compared to the experience of that Tesla driver, I know which my money would be on.

Watching that Tesla video (and comparing it where Waymo appears to be at), to me, Tesla seems like a wannabe... substantially way behind the front runners in terms of autonomous capability, but trying to rush it out to users to try to give the impression they're something that they really aren't.

Does anyone watching that video seriously think Tesla is anywhere near matching the 11,000 miles between autonomous disengagements that Waymo is achieving? They are world's apart! (even making some allowance for weather, traffic, roads, etc).

Seeing that video has genuinely set back my estimation as to where Tesla cars are right now in terms of autonomous capability. And not just by a small amount either.

Personally, seeing that video ... I think Tesla are going to struggle. They aren't going to meet expectations in the next 18months or so. Musk is going to start feeling some real pressure.

And over the next 18months or so, there's every reason to believe that Waymo could quite easily, and quietly leap frog ahead.

I really do believe the slow and measured, safety first approach, coupled with huge investment that Waymo has undertaken, is likely to see them really speed past all others.

Waymo has now got a strong technical base to leap frog their business forwards. They've put huge investment into R&D that gives them a real strong platform from which to grow.

I think Tesla is at real risk of 'doing an Uber' ... Uber (in my view) also tried to rush their technology out quickly, didn't test it properly, didn't take safety as seriously as google, didn't recognise the need to do it right first time... and look what happened to them... they ended up having a serious accident (fatality) that significantly knocked back their efforts.

I think Tesla / Musk have tried to jump too soon, from a platform that doesn't yet have solid foundations, and from a height that is just too low to afford them any real chance.

Very interesting and informative video of the Tesla though.

---

(*) Though searching for that story again, did throw up this ...

https://electrek.co/2018/08/25/tesla-mo ... uck-drunk/
"I have to say “yet another fire truck” because it is the third accident involving Tesla vehicles reportedly on Autopilot and fire trucks this year alone"

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » May 13th, 2019, 12:44 am

onthemove wrote:For me, the whole plus of self driving is being able to hand over to the car to do the full commute in exactly conditions like that ... slow moving traffic, crawling from traffic light to traffic light. Who wouldn't want to be sitting back and reading a book (or whatever) and letting the car deal with the traffic?

What you want is Audi's Level 3 Traffic Jam pilot, unfortunately in the UK you'll also have to wait for legal modernisation as the law currently requires a driver to be in a position of full control and with a full view of the road at all times. You can't use it in the states either.

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » May 13th, 2019, 3:56 am

onthemove
Seeing that video has genuinely set back my estimation as to where Tesla cars are right now in terms of autonomous capability. And not just by a small amount either.

Yes, I concur.

The biggest trouble I am having is that although it is clear that the Tesla system is getting better the transition between what they have now and what is needed for a steering wheel free car is that the current system is not yet comparable to a human in spotting what is on the road and even where the road goes.

The problem, as others have mentioned, is that even with coming improvements going from potentially the high 90% in reliability to the few parts in a billion (preferably a lot better) short of near the 100% needed for steering wheel free cars looks extremely difficult.

Whether this can ever be done remains an open question. Lex Fridman suggested it would never happen in his podcast with Joe Rogan

The current system (humans) are far short of this level and so it may be that robotic cars become super human but if so at what level of accidents will the legislators allow steering wheel free cars?

The ambivalence I have is that I felt like this about machines beating humans at Go and other games, but now machines can easily beat humans.

Regards,

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » May 13th, 2019, 10:56 am

odysseus2000 wrote:Tesla auto pilot in uk city driving: Impressive but still needing some manual human interventions. Can it be developed to go to full no steering wheel driving?
https://youtu.be/sk0eZRVw9x4
Regards,

OMG I couldn't believe how bad that was. Like a really poor alpha version of software, or not even that level because half the time it cannot operate at all and switches off! Have to say after seeing the video I completely agree with posters here suggesting Autopilot is a misleading and dangerous name. It's like one of those funky kids' toys: an impressive gadget to show off to your friends because it moves on its own and has cool flashing lights but is practically useless and ends up abandoned in a box after a few weeks.

If Steve Jobs were still around I could see Apple biding its time, then blowing this nonsense out of the water.

GS

Archtronics
Lemon Pip

Postby Archtronics » May 13th, 2019, 11:17 am

Folks get carried away with completely driverless cars they are a long way off being mainstream imo, we don’t even have driverless trains yet.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » May 13th, 2019, 4:23 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:The problem, as others have mentioned, is that even with coming improvements going from potentially the high 90% in reliability to the few parts in a billion (preferably a lot better) short of near the 100% needed for steering wheel free cars looks extremely difficult.

The description I have heard is that it as difficult to get to 99% accuracy for an autonomous driver as it is to get from 99% to 99.9% and as difficult again to go from 99.9% to 99.99% etc. From memory it was Karl Iagnemma, but I could be wrong.

Archtronics wrote:Folks get carried away with completely driverless cars they are a long way off being mainstream imo, we don’t even have driverless trains yet.

There are loads of driverless train systems capable of full independent operation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... ay_systems

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » May 13th, 2019, 6:16 pm

Can only Tesla or a new car give you modern technology?

Say you want night vision, driver assist, rear view camera, anti-theft camera, but you don't want to buy a new car, well watch this from 4:30, better all of it to see what is available for a lot less than a new motor:

https://youtu.be/3k_nfZ2WYU4

The rate of innovation remains remarkable. Much of the technology seen in the Terminator 1 movie is now available at low prices.

imho a big chunk of this tech will soon be in most new cars and it is now a race to get to market, build a presence and continue to innovate such that you stay well ahead of the competitors. But the question comes down to how well such a moat can be defended.

Imho one individual who can push through this agenda will be crucial difference between the winners and losers. I doubt business by committee will work, the old joke of what is an elephant? Answer: A mouse designed by committee.

Regards,

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » May 14th, 2019, 12:49 am

We are nearly half way through Q2 and indications are that Tesla sales are not encouraging. Will sales volumes be be any higher than Q1?

The “Invasion of Europe” has slowed dramatically especially in Norway. Maybe the Model 3 will achieve some sales in the UK? But its selling price isn’t very competitive and its Autonomous driving mode seems pretty useless on UK roads if the videos posted earlier are a good indication.

Tesla are being very quiet about their sales levels in Asia, so these aren’t likely to be that high and the political situation isn’t very helpful now.

It is possible that non - US sales may pick up a little as some ships are on their way to deliver more units for export, but to have an effect on Q2 results they will need to leave soon.

The lease programme in the USA may help sales a little, but commentators don’t seem to think that it is competitive enough to make a big impact.

At the moment it looks as though they may achieve 60-65,000 sales of all models in the quarter. And the share of higher margin S and X models has dropped further.

It wouldn’t surprise me if there is further talk about a shortage of cash despite the recent fund-raise. The company is having to cut back on capital expenditure, for example they have deferred the Semi truck project until next year at the earliest.

Unbelievably in their Q1 results update published a week or so ago, Tesla actually say “if our Gigafactory Shanghai is able to reach volume production early in Q4 this year, we may be able to produce as many as 500,000 vehicles globally in 2019”. Does anybody believe this stuff any more?

If sales really do drop way below Elon Musk’s forecasts , suppliers are going to get nervous. And production levels must be reduced or inventory will swallow up all the available cash.

Quite an interesting management problem!

regards

Howard

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » May 14th, 2019, 7:30 am

Howard wrote:We are nearly half way through Q2 and indications are that Tesla sales are not encouraging. Will sales volumes be be any higher than Q1?

The “Invasion of Europe” has slowed dramatically especially in Norway. Maybe the Model 3 will achieve some sales in the UK?

VW Golf best selling BEV in Norway in April?

VOLKSWAGEN GOLF 987 EV
TESLA MODEL 3 721 EV
NISSAN LEAF 538 EV
BMW I3 497 EV

- https://eu-evs.com/

I'm sure I've had decent sites for German and Norwegian numbers before, anybody got anything decent or are we all relying on electrek/seeking alpha?

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » May 14th, 2019, 9:53 am

Ooops

...missed of 375 e-trons!

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » May 15th, 2019, 3:37 pm

Tesla battery partner Panasonic debunks rumors about alleged Gigafactory 1 conflicts = https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-panason ... rtnership/

Tesla battery partner Panasonic sees higher Gigafactory output, cites Model S/X demand increase = https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-panason ... -x-demand/

Both are worth a read, including some very clued-up comments beneath. Then compare and contrast with the issues of battery supply for legacy auto in the West, such as "Overall, the struggles reportedly being faced by Audi, and now Mercedes-Benz all but show that performing a production ramp of an electric vehicle is no joke. " at (https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-x ... 0-per-day/) and this continues to be an interesting space.

regards, dspp

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » May 15th, 2019, 8:14 pm

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimcollins ... b3c7d46ed8

This Forbes article does not look like good news from China.

The Model 3 does not show up on Gasgoo’s list of the top-ten selling NEVs in China in April. The number ten model on that list, JAC’s iEV6E, sold 3,002 units for the month of April. So, the only conclusion I can draw (I have reached out to Tesla management for comment; they have yet to respond) is that Tesla did not even sell 3,000 Model 3s in China in April.

John

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » May 15th, 2019, 9:44 pm

This is an interesting video with the car mechanic describing the worst five car companies in terms of falling quality:

https://youtu.be/CbqibbNaNuQ

Tesla haven't been around long enough for consideration I expect, but he lays into five legacy brands.

Everyone who believe legacy auto is capable of doing great stuff might like to view this car mechanics video.

Of course one can argue that this guy doesn't know what he is talking about, but I have now watched many of his videos and from a hobby mechanic perspective he covers accurately and reliably many things I have learned fixing cars and I am sure he is right at least about one of the brands for which I have personal experience.

With competition like this the case for Tesla is imho much better than many legacy fan folk suggest.

Regards,

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » May 15th, 2019, 9:51 pm

redsturgeon wrote:https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimcollins/2019/05/15/slow-sales-in-china-highlight-teslas-demand-problem/#39b3c7d46ed8

This Forbes article does not look like good news from China.

The Model 3 does not show up on Gasgoo’s list of the top-ten selling NEVs in China in April. The number ten model on that list, JAC’s iEV6E, sold 3,002 units for the month of April. So, the only conclusion I can draw (I have reached out to Tesla management for comment; they have yet to respond) is that Tesla did not even sell 3,000 Model 3s in China in April.

John

Watching the national car manufacturer of California getting to grips with China was always going to be interesting, bearing in mind how little impact they have had in the other 49 states.

Did you get the same 'you may also be interested in' underneath that article as me?

Tesla is dying a slow death and the industry has noticed. As one of my contacts in the auto supply community noted to me, "the hamster is dead but the wheel is still spinning." Tesla shares have limitless downside here. Be very careful.

A touch dramatic!

It also linked to an article which linked to Indie EV's estimates for Tesla US deliveries in April, which I don't think I'd seen.

Our estimates show that Tesla delivered some 10,050 Model 3 to U.S. buyers in April 2019.

For April, we estimate the following for U.S. sales of these two Teslas:

Tesla Model S – 825
Tesla Model X – 1,050

- https://insideevs.com/news/347137/tesla ... april/amp/

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » May 15th, 2019, 10:10 pm

Italy April, 2019.

- https://insideevs.com/news/349102/april ... les-italy/

Not an EV hotbed!

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » May 16th, 2019, 5:53 pm

Another senior executive leaves Tesla. Is it significant that his role was to promote the company? It can't have been easy.

Promoting a so-called growth stock that isn't growing must be a bit disheartening.

And his stock options aren't looking too promising.

regards

Howard

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3464581-t ... hief-steps

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » May 16th, 2019, 6:20 pm

Howard wrote:Another senior executive leaves Tesla. Is it significant that his role was to promote the company? It can't have been easy.

Promoting a so-called growth stock that isn't growing must be a bit disheartening.

And his stock options aren't looking too promising.

regards

Howard

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3464581-t ... hief-steps

I'd have thought Tesla's director of communications was the 16 year old intern to whom Musk dictates his tweets!

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » May 17th, 2019, 1:45 am

March Fatal Crash Model 3 confirmed as autopilot engaged, driver hands off wheel.

Autopilot was active when a Tesla crashed into a truck, killing driver
NTSB report says driver engaged Autopilot 10 seconds before the deadly crash.

- https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/05/fe ... sla-crash/

Tesla Limits Autopilot In Europe Due To New UN/ECE Regulations
Update notes show that Tesla's Autopilot has indeed run afoul of UN/ECE Regulation 79, forcing the company to limit functionality in a number of countries.

...GreenTheOnly recently tweeted the release notes for Autopilot's version 19.16 update, showing that Model S and Model X owners in certain markets will have Autopilot's functionality limited when the release goes live. The code revealed by GreenTheOnly indicates that the changes affect second-generation Tesla vehicles in Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, The Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Monaco, The Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and The United Kingdom.

All the listed countries are signatories to the UN/ECE Regulation 79, which establishes standards for type approval of steering equipment. T

- https://www.thedrive.com/tech/28071/tes ... egulations

Tesla pushes battery software update after recent fires

The over-the-air update is going out to Model S and X cars now ‘out of an abundance of caution’

- https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/16/1862 ... -model-s-x

Top Tesla Investor Dumps 81% of Stock in Brutal Rebuke to Elon Musk

By CCN: The Wall Street Journal reports that T. Rowe Price Associates dumped around 81% of its Tesla stake during the first quarter of 2019. This is a brutal rebuke to the Elon Musk-led company, as T. Rowe Price has been one of the largest holders of Tesla stock over the years.

T. Rowe Price held just 1.7 million shares of Tesla on March 31 this year, down substantially from the 8.9 million shares it owned at the end of 2018. Its stake in the EV company is now at its lowest level since 2013.

- https://www.ccn.com/top-tesla-investor- ... -elon-musk

Return to “Macro and Global Topics”