Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Musk endeavours

The Big Picture Place
odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Re: Musk endeavours

Postby odysseus2000 » November 20th, 2019, 11:39 pm

BobbyD
So something which actually happened vs. another of your always completely reliable predictions...

I am giving plausible scenarios of the likely effects of German legacy auto trying to quickly migrate to BEV.

I doubt they intend to migrate as fast as their PR, but what ever the time scale the process is going to result in a lot of legacy employees having to learn new skills and a reduction in the number of people employed in the German legacy auto industry.

This is a transition that German has not experienced in living memory.

An investor may choose to believe what German legacy auto tells them about how good it will be.

Or an investor may choose to believe that it will be a bad time for many including the legacy corporations.

It is up to any investor/trader reading this board to make up their mind as to which is the most likely scenario, always bearing in mind that some German legacy auto (e.g. VW) has been convicted of telling lies for financial gain.

Imho German legacy auto and most legacy auto is too risky for any kind of investment, other people will have the inverse opinion. The blessings of this board is that there is collection of relevant information which may help an investor decide what are attractive options for his or her investment/trading capital via the frank discussions of the situations as various investors see it.

As I have typed many times, imho Investment and trading are too difficult for most people as both require a substantial commitment of time and mental process laced with extreme emotional states.

Nevertheless I hope people who do want to invest/trade gain insights and understanding from the discussions.

Regards,

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » November 21st, 2019, 1:31 am

odysseus2000 wrote:
BobbyD
So something which actually happened vs. another of your always completely reliable predictions...

I am giving plausible scenarios of the likely effects of German legacy auto trying to quickly migrate to BEV.

You are declaring what will happen in the future as though it is a fait accompli, not exploring 'plausible scenarios', and your English is nowhere near bad enough that you don't know the difference.

...and once again you are referring to a number of very different companies as a group based only on the fact that they are all based in the same country.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » November 21st, 2019, 1:42 am

an electric estate:

Volkswagen has previewed its plans for a new electric-powered crossover-style estate with the unveiling of the ID Space Vizzion at the Los Angeles motor show.

The new car, with a claimed range of up to 367 miles on the WLTP test cycle, is the eighth ID-branded concept revealed by the German firm, which has already laid out plans to produce up to one million EVs per year by the end of 2022.

The ID Space Vizzion is set to go into production alongside the ID Vizzion saloon at Volkswagen’s Emden plant in Germany in 2021. Both models are due to wear the ID 5 model name, according to senior Volkswagen officials, who suggest the production version will hold true to the concept in terms of appearance and technical specification.

VW's US boss, Scott Keogh, has confirmed a version of the Space Vizzion car will also be produced in the USA and sold there from 2022 onwards.

...Energy for the electric motors is provided by a 82kWh lithium ion battery mounted within the floor. It can be charged to 80% of its capacity within 30 minutes using a 150kW system.

- https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/moto ... ver-estate

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » November 21st, 2019, 2:39 pm

This is an interesting article in terms of what it highlights about how dependent Germany is on legacy auto. The writer is a bear on Tesla but grudgingly admits that the Berlin factor is a good move although later saying that Tesla can't afford to build it:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/430801 ... oves?app=1

Regards,

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » November 22nd, 2019, 4:51 am

Err, yeah, glass is, yeah, unbreakable, just watch. Errrr ...ooops!

LOL.

Fanbois are praying this is a joke.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... ke.174571/

JamesMuenchen
Lemon Slice

Postby JamesMuenchen » November 22nd, 2019, 8:56 am

Tesla Cybertruck event in 5 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7atGkba-Z8

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » November 22nd, 2019, 9:30 am

JamesMuenchen wrote:Tesla Cybertruck event in 5 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7atGkba-Z8

They should definitely have pre-recorded and edited, Musk is possibly the world's worst presenter.

Would be interested in seeing the odds on this ever actually leaving the factory gate, even though we'll have to wait 2 years to see if it makes it's scheduled release date.

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » November 22nd, 2019, 9:49 am

Well, you are either going to love it or hate it, this is a real marmite styling. The specs and price are pretty good mind you, this is shifting the bar quite a lot if you are a competitor. And they are not going to need to pay for much advertising : this will scream TSLA out there.

regards, dspp

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » November 22nd, 2019, 10:08 am

You call that styling? It looks like something made from Meccano using minimal parts from a low number set.

Is it aimed at the military for use against urban guerillas?

TJH

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » November 22nd, 2019, 10:16 am

tjh290633 wrote:You call that styling? It looks like something made from Meccano using minimal parts from a low number set.

Is it aimed at the military for use against urban guerillas?

TJH

In Murika, more likely the reverse.

dspp

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » November 22nd, 2019, 11:29 am

Some comments from Tesla fans summed up the typical US target market for their cars.

“That’s the coolest car I’ve ever seen in my life. I’m gonna buy it even though I don’t need it. It’s crazy”

“it is simply must to have. If you have a house with big parking lot.”

It might be fun to buy if you are a rich individual and want to annoy the neighbours. (And you have a couple more ICE cars in the garage for normal motoring).

It’s certainly a contrast to the efforts of VW and other manufacturers to produce more environmentally acceptable cars.

Wonder what affect it will have on the share price? Perhaps not as much as the Q4 earnings report? :)

regards

Howard

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » November 22nd, 2019, 11:35 am

dspp wrote:Well, you are either going to love it or hate it, this is a real marmite styling. The specs and price are pretty good mind you, this is shifting the bar quite a lot if you are a competitor. And they are not going to need to pay for much advertising : this will scream TSLA out there.

regards, dspp

Remember the DIY Tesla pick up transformation video from a while back? Model 3 cut up and a cargo bed mounted on the back? Existing Tesla tech, which they can produce in reasonable quantity, today, and a truck they would have no difficulty flogging ...actually give them something to do with the Model X line...

But no, we have to wait 2 years to see how much of this is real.

Those specs have something of the funding secured about them to my eyes. His use of tense was weird, and he was muttering something about transparent metal when he was talking about the windows. The idea that he had been smoking weed was also a fairly common reaction.

Major gripes in the aftermath apart from the looks, questioning the decision to apparently ad lib the test which smashed two of its windows and other presentational quirks tended to be from pick up users, bed only 6.5', design means no side access ...looks like it was designed by somebody whose never used a pick up was not an uncommon comment.
Last edited by BobbyD on November 22nd, 2019, 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » November 22nd, 2019, 11:39 am

Howard wrote:Wonder what affect it will have on the share price? Perhaps not as much as the Q4 earnings report? :)

Down 3.5% in pre-trading, although that's a quiet day by Tesla's standards.

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » November 22nd, 2019, 11:41 am

This looks to be aimed at the F150, the best as far as I know selling passenger vehicle. A few years ago Ford spent a fortune making the F150 out of aluminium to get better mileage.

Looking at the pricing & specs of the cyber truck it seems to be very competitive with the F150 & with the 500 mile range variant getting towards the daily needs of even a Texas farmer.

Kind of amazed they have got the cold formed stainless to work. My experience with working stainless is that it loves to crack, but they seemed to have solved this issue in some ways & the resistance to 9 mm bullets is extraordinary when you consider that a 9 mm round will easily go straight through mild steel car bodies with plenty of lethal momentum left.

Air suspension is a bit of a question in my mind. Sure it provides a good ride, but there are lots of points of failure. My Mercedes had oil suspension which caused me lots of troubles till I replaced most of the system & although the self levelling suspension then worked well the ride is not noticeably better than my Volvo V70 which has springs & no adaptive suspension. Still for a truck that is designed to operate in adverse conditions the smoothness of the ride may be a blessing that folk want especially at that price. What is super useful is the low load height. Not sure how strong the ramp is but I often lift up the front of my trailer to drop the rear if I have something heavy to put in & the example of the atv that would be more trouble if not impossible to get in a F150 was impressive.

Although the window cracked it did not let the ball in, but clearly a bad choice of demo for that.

All in all I suspect that unless there are serious operational failures I expect the cyber truck to sell very well & I think Ford will suffer from this.

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » November 22nd, 2019, 11:46 am

BobbyD
Those specs have something of the funding secured about them to my eyes. His use of tense was weird, and he was muttering something about transparent metal when he was talking about the windows. The idea that he had been smoking weed was also a fairly common reaction.

Transparent aluminium, first shown in the Star Trek movie Voyage Home for transporting the whales, now exists in reality & could be a potential glass substitute.

Regards,

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » November 22nd, 2019, 11:53 am

Oh, and the deposit is only $100, which seems to lack a little commitment.

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » November 22nd, 2019, 1:34 pm

Graphic comparing cyber to F150:

https://twitter.com/teslaudio/status/11 ... 85088?s=20

Regards,

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » November 22nd, 2019, 1:50 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:Graphic comparing cyber to F150:

Regards,

For some reason they've missed off the delivery estimates.

If this was an announcement by anybody else you'd already have dismissed it as vapourware...

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » November 22nd, 2019, 3:09 pm

BobbyD wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:Graphic comparing cyber to F150:

Regards,

For some reason they've missed off the delivery estimates.

If this was an announcement by anybody else you'd already have dismissed it as vapourware...

To be fair BD, this isn't an announcement by anybody else. What this announcement tells me, edit: CONFIRMS to me, is:

- the design team are still prepared to take risks, and so too are the leadership team;
- the battery capacity in the supply chain is growing fast (Y, second 3 plant, semi, pick-up);
- the same underlying product platform makes it fairly easy for the design team to pop out new models (because drivetrain gets decoupled from body);
- the body design may open up some interesting options for the assembly plant, which is relevant as we do not think this can be built in Fremont;
- just revealing it makes life doubly-difficult for incumbent dino-juice players, and for new-entrant players, especially at this price-point and that is relevant from right now onwards;
- oh, and yes, it will be late .... just like everyone else (https://electrek.co/2019/11/20/porsche- ... on-delays/)

regards, dspp

ps. I think it is fugly, but when I buy pickups I do it for a job. And hitherto my go-to cargo pick ups in the oil patch were the Hilux and the F150. This would get a look-in if I were buying again.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 22nd, 2019, 3:11 pm

What? No credits to the Hammerhead Eagle i-Thrust? I'm sure the patent lawyers are already at work:

:) https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new- ... e-i-thrust

BJ

Return to “Macro and Global Topics”